E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My ultimate nightmare BMW - any advice greatly appreciated !

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

I will try to keep it concise:
My car: 2008 BMW 550i, with 47.000 miles, still under factory warranty until 2/23/2012.After that another 2 years of CPO warranty.The car has the comfort access system.
The issue: Unable to start. After pushing the start button all the systems light up but the engine does not start. It happened 5-6 times within the last 3 months. The car had to be towed to the dealer 4 times for the same reason. Here is what happens every time: After unable to start I call BMW roadside assistace. After the tow truck comes he tries to start the car, then tries to jump-start it with no avail and the car is towed. Next, the dealer runs the diagnostics and no fault codes are found. The car eventually starts and is returned to me. After driving for a few days the whole cycle gets repeated. Since last November the car has been serviced 5 times - 4 times for no start and once for transmission malfunction and CEL issue. Since last November the car spent 50 days and counting at the shop (Bluegrass BMW in Paducah, KY) - still unable to diagnose the defect and repair it. At this point I am very frustrated. The car is useless to me, still under warranty and BMW is unable to repair the defect because no fault codes are dislayed. I would greatly appreciate any advice - what can be done next ?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by agent008
I will try to keep it concise:
My car: 2008 BMW 550i, with 47.000 miles, still under factory warranty until 2/23/2012.After that another 2 years of CPO warranty.The car has the comfort access system.
The issue: Unable to start. After pushing the start button all the systems light up but the engine does not start. It happened 5-6 times within the last 3 months. The car had to be towed to the dealer 4 times for the same reason. Here is what happens every time: After unable to start I call BMW roadside assistace. After the tow truck comes he tries to start the car, then tries to jump-start it with no avail and the car is towed. Next, the dealer runs the diagnostics and no fault codes are found. The car eventually starts and is returned to me. After driving for a few days the whole cycle gets repeated. Since last November the car has been serviced 5 times - 4 times for no start and once for transmission malfunction and CEL issue. Since last November the car spent 50 days and counting at the shop (Bluegrass BMW in Paducah, KY) - still unable to diagnose the defect and repair it. At this point I am very frustrated. The car is useless to me, still under warranty and BMW is unable to repair the defect because no fault codes are dislayed. I would greatly appreciate any advice - what can be done next ?
Sounds like you need to speak to a lemon lawyer
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

50+ days?! Lemon. Surprised they didn't replace your battery, that's the minimum they should provide.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lambda28
50+ days?! Lemon. Surprised they didn't replace your battery, that's the minimum they should provide.
They replaced the battery during the second dealer visit but the defect persists.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

You don't really say if the engine cranks or not when you attempt to start, but my guess is the "authority" to start is not being recognized between the fob and the car. Does it make a difference if you insert the fob into the steering column? Do both fobs fail to start? What is the state of the battery in your fobs? That's where I'd start to look. I'm surprised the dealer cannot figure it out. Next place I'd look is the electronics in the spare tire well for evidence of water damage.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

And BMW NA can send technical rep to look at your car.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

Try the other key too!
Good luck
Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
You don't really say if the engine cranks or not when you attempt to start, but my guess is the "authority" to start is not being recognized between the fob and the car. Does it make a difference if you insert the fob into the steering column? Do both fobs fail to start? What is the state of the battery in your fobs? That's where I'd start to look. I'm surprised the dealer cannot figure it out. Next place I'd look is the electronics in the spare tire well for evidence of water damage.
I replaced both keyfob batteries and the car battery was replaced as well. Both keyfobs work. When the car cannot be started all systems come on after pushing the start button but the starter will not turn. I tried to start it with the fob inserted into the steering column, out of it and any other combination I could think of. No signs of any water damage including the spare tire well. After reading many related posts I believe that the defect is within the Comfort Access Sysytem - either the module or one of the antennas. Again, everything else works perfectly, including CAS, the only problem is that the car cannot be started....
Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes, ask your dealer for information on the Lemon Law, they have to provide this to you. They might not mention unless you ask though... Cars have been changed out for far less issues such as three times fuel system failures with the 535 HPFP and did not spend the time in the shop as yours has. If they can't properly diagnose and fix the issue I would go after this because as soon as warranty is out they will start charging you just to discuss the issue!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Call BMW North America, make noise, LOTS of it, and DON'T back down, they should DEFINITELY replace this!! They lemoned my 2008 X5 last year over issues that they didn't originally see as a safety issue, and it was OUT of the warranty period too! Once explained to them accurately, they bought it back, reimbursed me for my mods, and even the Mercury aftermarket warranty I had purchased for the car too! Mainly, just be firm with them, and they will step up! Good Luck with it!

Quick Reply: My ultimate nightmare BMW - any advice greatly appreciated !