E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My sattelite radio feed is getting worse...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

For a couple of weeks, I seem to be getting more interruptions to my sirius radio feed, even in metropolitan areas.

Has anyone had these sorts of things as a result of an antenna issue? I dont know if its worth taking the car to BMW or not, but just wondered if anyone else had seen this sort of problem resolved by a service fix?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

I've noticed more cut-offs also. I doubt it's more foliage (reception IS worse in the summer) but that could be it. I just don't recall that many cut-offs in previous years.

Then again, I hardly use it (prefer iPod and Net radio).
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Your car is too new for equipment problems although I suppose its possible. There is a newer SIRIUS receiver but you should have it and one would not expect any other problems unless loose connector or such. Might try calling SIRIUS tech support to see if they have done or are doing any maintenence on ground equipment or satellites. Does happen but usually not over an extended period.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Go here to see the coverage maps and links to see where the satellites are at any given time: http://www.dogstarradios.com/sirasasecoma.html
Go here to see if you are covered by a terrestrial repeater: http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php
The signal from the satellites varies based on where they are. They are not in synchronous orbit, so you can have bad reception at times.
Also from their web page:"Some people have a bit of trouble if they live on the edge of a repeater signal, where both the terrestrial and satellite signals are equally strong for much of the day. "

Updated. Another good site with info about Sirius: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Satellite_Radio
Here is another quote about error correction and quality: "The Sirius signal is separated into three carriers, one each for the two satellites, and the third for the terrestrial repeater network where available. Sirius receivers decode all three 4 MHz carrier signals at once to achieve signal diversity. This is in contrast to XM which uses six carriers and decodes three 2 MHz carriers to economize on receiver power consumption and complexity at the cost of channel-changing speed. There is an intentional four-second delay between the two satellite carrier signals. This enables the receiver to maintain a large buffer of the audio stream, which, along with forward error correction helps keep the audio playing in the event that the signal is temporarily lost, such as when driving under an overpass or otherwise losing line-of-sight of any of the satellites or ground repeater stations."
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Members

I have had such great luck I bought an additional reciever that I can move to the other cars and house. I also upgraded the BMW plan to the life time plan that can be moved 3 times. I really like it.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Do you notice it gets worse when you have trees overhead? I noticed in the past that thick overhead leaves will knock out the signal.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='435092' date='Jun 12 2007, 05:26 PM
Do you notice it gets worse when you have trees overhead? I noticed in the past that thick overhead leaves will knock out the signal.
Right. It's line of sight. If you lose a clear path to both satellites (and the repeater, if you are near one) for more than 4 seconds, then you will get a drop-out. Trees, buildings, overpasses, etc. can all cause dropouts.