E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! -- pics & first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='526528' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:58 AM
thought you might appreciate the wheels -- it was you ride that gave me the idea -- thanks!
enjoy them man. i know i enjoy mine
Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='526526' date='Feb 3 2008, 10:51 AM
If I was paying for my own fuel, that's probably the engine I would most likely go for -- well maybe after trying a 535d first like yourself!

As for your rims, you'll be needing those on your next 5er, right?!!
if i lived in germany, and drove as much as guys do, then i would never consider replacing the 535d. but with average speeds around 30kmph in vienna city traffic, i am not using a tenth of the car's potential... time to rethink

if i order a new 520d then i will definitely keep the 19" sets

greetinz
Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Members

My Ride: A 520 D, Steptronic, june 2006, Black Sapphire, Black Excusive leather, Bi-Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Sound System, Navi-Pro, High Gloss Shadow Line, Sun Protection Glass, M-Sport steering wheel, Auto-Dim int + Folding Ext mirrors, Rear side airbags, Anthracite Headlining, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced

Congratulations with your new car. It's a beauty!
I think it's almost time for a new meeting.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Kazimierz' post='528819' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:32 AM
Congratulations with your new car. It's a beauty!
I think it's almost time for a new meeting.
Thanks

As for the next meet, I agree. Time to get the ball rolling again -- I'll get on it...
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Members

Terrific interior... great choice in color, I didn't think I would like the light interior.. but this one hit me

Congrats,
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='525786' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:43 AM
I took delivery of my new ride on Friday last week... AND OBSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!
Obviously I went out driving in it straight away, took a few pics (bad weather unfortunately) but then ended up ill in bed for a few days - however not because of the car! Anyway, back on line now and have just finished a 1000km trip, so can give some initial impressions...

Overview of specs
Its a 525d Auto, full M-Sport pack, Carbon Black on Natural Brown Dakota Leather with Black High-Gloss Trim. The rims are my new winter set-up; 19" OEM type 128 on non-RFT Continental rubber. (The full options list is in my signature below.)

Engine, Gearbox & Performance:
Coming from a 4cyl Manual 163ps to a 6cyl auto 197ps, some of these comments are going to be a little obvious, but here they come none the less. The power delivery is much smoother, relaxed and constant. The acceleration from a standing start is instant, with the full 400Nm torque being available from 1300rpm and it really throws you back in the seat. The performance differences between the 520d (163ps) and 525d (197ps) on paper compared with real life driving are subjectively very different IMHO, i.e. not as close.

I have been keeping it below 3000 rpm most of the time, but simply couldn't resist booting it at least once or twice up through the revs , taking it up to 3500rpm in 6th and comfortably hit 240km/h on the dial. That experience showed that the car pulls very well up to 180km/h and then consistently after that, but not with as much kick. It will be interesting to see how it performs after around 5000km; I would expect it to open up a little more.

The sound engineers have done a great job on the engine. On the inside, it gives a bit of a V8 type growl... which makes me just want to floor it the whole time ...on the outside it obviously has more of the usual diesel tractor growl! The engine noise at speed is also very impressive and an improvement over the 4 cyl, but not that much -- the 4cyl is already very good in this respect.

I was apprehensive about going to an auto, but I'm currently pleased with my choice. Its an absolute dream in traffic and makes the whole experience totally effortless and relaxed. As this auto reacts pretty quickly, I've also been enjoying working through the gears in manual mode when going through corners / winding roads. Once I've made it past the drive in period and can use the full rev range, I'll no doubt be able to get more out this experience. For now I'm really enjoying learning how to control and change the gears using the accelerator, i.e. knowing how quickly and how much to press the accelerator to get the desired result -- it's effectively a whole new driving experience!

Colours & Materials:
Before taking delivery I was a little unsure about the colour combo having not seen it in real life, however couldn't be happier with my choice. The black high gloss trim IMHO thankfully doesn't look cheap (or at least any cheaper/plastic like than the other standard/wood trims BMW offers!) and really complements the high-gloss shadow line finish on the exterior. As expected, the Natural Brown leather really brightens up the interior and provides a great contrast to the black trim, carpets, etc.

The LCI material enhancements are an improvement, but IMHO only marginally. I was already happy with the pre-LCI, however do appreciate the subtle improvements to some of the switches and surfaces on the dash. The M-Sport steering wheel feels different -- not sure if its a different size or just softer leather -- haven't worked that out yet, but I like it!!

Navigation & Logic7
The Business navigation with colour maps is excellent. All the detail you need is there, you can zoom and scroll around the maps, it shows traffic update info along your route and most importantly... its quick! Next to the maps you get the arrow directions and distances until next turn. I really cannot understand why anyone would go for the Professional navigation system? I trialled it extensively during the 4 hour pre-order test drive and I found that because it was slow to update/provide instructions when doing a number of turns or lane changes in succession, I kept having to check the map to see where I was and therefore was not concentrating on the road -- I was not impressed at all with the Professional navigation and would rate the Business navigation as being better.

Like others have written before, the Logic7 does not seem to be as good as the pre-LCI Logic7. I'm missing some of the richness and thumping bass coming through. The sound is still great, but a little disappointing as you'd really expect an improvement in sound quality and not a degradation.

Rims & Tyres
I currently have 19" OEM type 128 rims, 245s all round and wrapped in Continental winter tyres (need to check which type). I'm really impressed with the rims. I have only seen these once or twice in the forum (e.g. Nerweezy's ride) and only once or twice in real life. The pictures just don't do them justice -- I love them! I'm also pleased to say they're a lot easier to clean than my M166s, so ideal for winter!

The Continentals are handling great in both wet and dry conditions. No roll and plenty of grip... during the gentler drive in period at least anyway. They also give the same ride comfort as my previous 18" Dunlop winter set-up. I haven't tested them in snow yet, so that will naturally be a real test for winter.

In summer I will use my OEM 19" M166 (M5) rims again.

Thanks to those who provided feedback when I was going through the ordering phase -- as always, your feedback was much appreciated.

As I wrote at the top, I only had the chance to take a few pics and it was very drab weather, but heres a few to give you an idea of what my new pride and joy looks like...

cheers,
Pete

Attachment 43736

Attachment 43737

Attachment 43738

Attachment 43739

Attachment 43729

Attachment 43730

Attachment 43731

Attachment 43732

Attachment 43733

Attachment 43734

Attachment 43735
Beautiful Auto. I think Europeans really get nicer stuff than us Americans on their cars. I like the shifter. Can I get a closer look at it?

thanks
Dennis in Cali.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Wow xBMWx. Nice choice you made there! I have to say it looks very good with those wheels... It's something you don't see every day.

Good luck with it!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

thanks for the comments guys.

The wheels are my winter set-up, which I didn't really give a lot of thought to because I was simply after easy to clean OEM 19s... the type 128 rims are the natural choice. I'm really pleased with how great they look and you're right, not many E60 out there with this combo -- and they're sooo easy to clean smiles all the way
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='539080' date='Mar 3 2008, 09:47 AM
thanks for the comments guys.

I'm really pleased with how great they look and you're right, not many E60 out there with this combo -- and they're sooo easy to clean smiles all the way
+1 but dont jinx it now
Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

LOOKING GOOD CANT TAKE MY EYES OFF THOSE SEATS

Quick Reply: MY NEW RIDE IS HERE!! -- pics & first impressions