E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My new 2010 E61 Finally was Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

I picked up my new 2010 535xiT Tuesday. I am exultant to be back in a BMW after driving several of Mr. Hertz and Enterprise specials (though I did think the Mazda 5 was a nice small minivan ? it handled quite well.) Since the new car is essentially a 2010 clone of my old, gone but not forgotten car (See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...t=0&start=0), I thought my initial impressions might be interesting to others ? even E60 owners:

1. While I am still in the break-in period, (the car has only 50 miles on the odo) so I must tread lightly on the gas, I can feel the added power of the N54 engine especially at low rpm. It squirts off the line like a rabbit (furry) even at partial throttle. The engine growl is aggressive imparting a hint to the spare power under the hood. I look forward to 1,200 miles so I can really play.
  2. The body seems even tighter than my 2006 touring, which was excellent. No rattles or squeaks over railroad tracks or our ultra smooth :thumbsdown: roads in CT
  3. The new Steptronic controls were confusing at first, but after a couple of hours in the car became more intuitive. (I an sure Iwill become more attuned, just as I came to like the turn signal controls on my 2006.)
  4. The high beam headlights pattern is much improved. When I was driving on a dark, empty highway at night in my 2006, I felt that I was overdriving the high beams at about 70 mph. The new pattern seems to reach much further ahead; of course, I will have to wait for our summer trip to Colorado to really test the lights. Bravo BMW!
  5. The car came with Goodyear NCT5 runflats, arg. I will use them through the summer and early autumn to get some value out of them, and then switch to either Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S before the snow flies. Unless someone nearby would like to buy them (cheap ? make an offer by PM.) Does anyone like the Goodyear NCT5s tires?
  6. The car handles well with the usual excellent BMW road manners: wonderful steering feel and solid cornering (but not at speed yet), if anything it seems to be more solidly attached to the road ? but that may be the result of a four month layoff and the joys of Mr. Hertz's best.
  7. The range on the garage door openers seems longer ? a better antenna? The range of the keyfob door unlocker has not improved.
  8. Carbon Black is a magnificent color, just as many had said on these boards. As noted, one can eaily see the blue color in bright sun, but I also saw it in my garage. My wife likes the color and tagged it Midnight Blue. The cream beige interior is light, which in my view gives an appearance of spaciousness ? I will report on how hard it is to keep clean. Thank god, we do not have large dogs or little children with crayons.
  9. Now for the Best ? the new iDrive 4.0 (as in the F1s and Navi equipped 3 Series) is a vast improvement. It is FAST; seemingly ready to go even before one starts the motor. Let me list just note a few improvements:
a. The Lawyer Screen is pleasanter looking ? more significantly, if one shifts into reverse Park Distance Control take priority and overwrites the Lawyer Screen ? a change sure to prevent a few nicks and scrapes.

b. iPod navigation is also much faster ? it takes only seconds (I know that phrase is getting repetitious ? but it is true). IN ADDITION, there seems to be no reasonable limitation to the number of playlists the new system can access ? in any event well beyond the old 256 limit of my 2006. That will let me have access to the entire 65 days of music available on my iPod. why I need that, only heaven knows, but it is nice to have consummate choice.

c. The navi system is much faster and seems to take only seconds to plot a course halfway across the US. Moreover, it is nice to be able to enter destinations and waypoints from Goggle Maps. The one drawback that I can see is the lettering on the navigation maps. The lettering is of low contrast and hard for my ancient eyes to see. Oh well, I may get comfortable with it in time.

d. My Premium Hi-Fi (Logic7) system is all that I had hoped for, although the bass was a bit boomy before I adjusted it. I can always use the equalizer to perfect the sound.

e. The radio now is capable of receiving HD broadcasts, not that I expect to do so very often ? I like my personalized music on the iPod.

10. A few offsets:

a. The car was held up in the VPC for a month. I saw an email from BMW NA stating the 2010s were awaiting clearance by CARB/EPA, so I do not think it was dealer obfuscation. Does anyone know what the hold could be about? I hope not for changes in the engine computer? Have there been CARB holds before?

b. My car was the first 2010 E61 registered in Connecticut. I receive an Owner's Manual that explains the OLD iDrive system, although the maintenance/warranty brochure has photos of the 4.0 system. I expect that this was a mistake that will be rectified and I will receive the correct manual when it is published. I am one owner who does RFM.

In sum, I am very pleased with the car. I had a wonderful relationship with my dealer and salesman - Jim at BMW of Darien. He even gave my wife a bunch of roses at delivery! They keep that up and I will be back for my 8th BMW in twelve years ? yes, I like to hold my cars a long, long time.

Oh, and there are some fun tricks. Close the folding mirrors at a stop light and once one is rolling over 20 mph ? they magically open. TaDa!

Finally, I would like to thank those who empathized with my car's loss, especially Rudy who set the perfect tone with, "the car did its job and sacrificed itself to protect what's important" and to all the posters to this site who have been so helpful in specing out the replacement car.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I remember the accident that took out your previous car. This one looks terrific as well. I can smell "new car" from here in flyover land! Congrats!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

"The Lawyer Screen is pleasanter looking"...pleasanter....awesome!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Contributors

America is crazy. Calling an April 2009 car a 2010 model
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Congrats btw the new idrive system looks nice.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Very nice improvements especially the iDrive new interface ... congrats on the new 'replacement' ride!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Congrats on your new ride. It looks great.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

A wagon with a sport nose, very nice. Good luck with it.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Congratulations!, Hope to see you on the road..., The car has been nicely equipped and looks gorgeous..
Old 05-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Oh yes, that's a great write up .. thanks for sharing and enjoy every mile in you brand new spanking BMW!

Quick Reply: My new 2010 E61 Finally was Delivered