E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My new 2006 535D M-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have upgraded my 2005 530D M-Sport to a 2006 535D M-Sport and already the small turbo issue has popped up.
I don't think I need to remove the swirl flaps on it since its 2006, would this be right?

The small turbo has no boost there is nothing below 2500rpm then I get boost, there is also a turbo noise so I think it's leaking boost.
I don't think it's failed as there is no smoke from the exhaust or oil in the inlet pipes, not sure if I'd get smoke with a DPF anyway?

On the small turbo from my reading everything suggests the vacuum hoses and the pressure converters.
I have got 2 new original pressure converters but I can only source 3mm silicone hose and the original rubber hose is 3.5mm.

Has anyone replaced there vacuum hoses with 3mm compared to the original 3.5mm, I want to use silicone and not rubber which I could get at 3.5mm if I need to, but I am hoping someone has already used 3mm and had no issues, can anyone confirm this?

Also is there anything else I should be doing on this car to keep it right or prevent any other problems, I plan on doing this work the weekend along with oil change filters etc....?

Thanks in advance to all and any replies.

Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Did you buy it from a dealer?, if so take it straight back.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Members

Hi i too purchased the same car recently 2006 e61 535d M sport 91k on the clock. Within a week swirlflaps replaced. The ones removed (larger ones) looked sound and were the modified ones with plastic coating. They were however heavily caked with carbon. I am happier with them out and no difference in performance. Also recently had gearbox oil change with new sump.
Originally Posted by IrishLad
Hi All,
I have upgraded my 2005 530D M-Sport to a 2006 535D M-Sport and already the small turbo issue has popped up.
I don't think I need to remove the swirl flaps on it since its 2006, would this be right?

The small turbo has no boost there is nothing below 2500rpm then I get boost, there is also a turbo noise so I think it's leaking boost.
I don't think it's failed as there is no smoke from the exhaust or oil in the inlet pipes, not sure if I'd get smoke with a DPF anyway?

On the small turbo from my reading everything suggests the vacuum hoses and the pressure converters.
I have got 2 new original pressure converters but I can only source 3mm silicone hose and the original rubber hose is 3.5mm.

Has anyone replaced there vacuum hoses with 3mm compared to the original 3.5mm, I want to use silicone and not rubber which I could get at 3.5mm if I need to, but I am hoping someone has already used 3mm and had no issues, can anyone confirm this?

Also is there anything else I should be doing on this car to keep it right or prevent any other problems, I plan on doing this work the weekend along with oil change filters etc....?

Thanks in advance to all and any replies.

Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Members

Hi,
I bought it from a small dealer he got it as part of a trade in, but no warrenty with it.
It has a service history and I rang and verified it and the milage so it seemed like a good purchase.
Apart from the small turbo (and a heater plug) its perfect, but no boost low down and a noise from the turbo like you can hear it spinning.

So I plan on replacing the vacuum hose with the 3mm if someone can confirm they work, as the cost is minimal anyway to rule out them and the pressure converters before I start to look at the turbo maybe failing I'll also be checking the intercooler and inlet pipework visually to see if there is any cracks, no garage close to me this week for a smoke test either.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Members

Hi,
So can anyone confirm if they have replaced the vacuum hoses with 3mm silicone (compared to 3.5mm rubber)?
Any any other things I should be looking to do while I have the car?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Hi Mark, I'm not sure if you're clear on Irish law, but you can bring your car back to the dealer in a reasonable length of time after purchase to have any problems rectified....EVEN IF THE DEALER SAYS "SOLD AS SEEN". There is no such thingas sold as seen from a dealer in Ireland.......by law, they must repair/replace/fix any problems within a reasonable length of time after purchase.......the key words....reasonable length of time........this length of time will differ greatly, no-one will give a difinitave answer and say what exactly defines a reasonable lenght of time.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Members

Hi,
I bought my car in Belfast and paid the VRT on Friday, so not sure how I stand with it, the dealer has no onsite mechanic but did offer to have someone check it for me.
But even if I get a refund I'm out the VRT, and the dealer won't want to take back a now soutern registered vehicle I'd say

It seemed fine to me but now I relalise it had the issue when I bought it, the power seemed fine as I was comparing it to my previous 530D but from reading the forum and a friend drove it who had a 2005 535D I realise it has the small turbo doing nothing, so I'm trying to rule out the quick and cheap solution of hoses and converters before accepting that the turbo might be faulty.

If it turns out to be a faulty turbo I am going to head back to the dealer and see what he can do for me, never should have rushed to pay the VRT :-(

So just need to be sure that 3mm silicone can be used inplace of 3.5mm rubber pipes?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Members

So can anyone shed any light on the process of replacing the hose's and pressure converters, if I can use 3mm compared to 3.5mm hose?

Parts to be replaced (LINK):

11747796634 Pressure Converter
11657793032 Pressure Converter
11747810831 Electric Valve
3mm silicone hose with 2mm wall (4 metre roll)
Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Members

So has anyone any input on the process for changing these?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Members

Just collected the parts, only thing I am concerned about is the 3mm silicone hose as I can't get 3.5mm without ordering online.

Had the car faults checked again and it still only reports a failed glow plug and nothing else, so not sure if a leaking hose or failed Pressure Converter would register on the computer.

Quick Reply: My new 2006 535D M-Sport