E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Impression on the 08 5 Series...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, I had the pleasure of delivering 2 2008 528xi's to customers. My impressions of the car are the changes are nice. Some impressions on the new headlights/taillights. The new headlights first of all look better then the one currently on the 2007. The yellow led line that goes over the light is alot less yellow then the 2007. The lights also have titanium inside of the lights and the angel eyes look are more "free flowing" where on the 2007, they looked as if they were apart of the actual headlight. Now the tailights....they are very impressive! The turn signals are LED as we all know, but the color is red, not amber! This I was a little shocked on. The red beams that are in the center of light, I dont know the technical term for term, are very attractive. They are also 2 small lights on side of the tailights which are in an LED setup. This is very similar to what is at the top of the eye brow on the front headlight.

The interior was nice. This was a little weird however, there was 2 trunk release switches! One was above the hood release and the other was above the passenger heated switch. I am assuming that if you have PDC or get the M5 Active Seats that the 2nd trunk release button will disappear. Now the iPod/USB Input. 100% better designed then the CD Changer Option. Why? One, everything loads up within seconds. It clearly states when you connect the iPod "Playlists, Artists, Genres, Songs." Press Artists and within Seconds all of the Artists are showed on the screen. The iPod that is connected to the CD Changer, these different choices are read as CD1-CD6 and could take up to a few minutes before all of the songs are loaded up. Also, the arm rest is now leather, yes leather! No more vinyl feel to it. Also, the force feed back on the iDrive Controller is gone. I do not know if this is a result of v25 software or not. Hope this info was helpful!!

Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nice feedback thanks. Sounds like its an overall improvement...
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

The force feedback annoys the hell out of me. When I simply try to scroll down a list (states, songs), the damn thing fights me every time.
I am so happy is will be gonein my next car.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

The turn signals are LED as we all know, but the color is red, not amber! :thumbsdown: I think this is a bad decision. The amber taillights are clearly more distinguishable than the red.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw1986' post='416424' date='Apr 22 2007, 03:32 AM
...the force feed back on the iDrive Controller is gone. I do not know if this is a result of v25 software or not.
This is an LCI feature rather than purely Progman 25.

My legacy e60 is at Progman 25 but force feedback is still there.

ABC
Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My salesman was also very happy with the preset keys--he liked that I could one-touch dial (which I use for 3 of my keys) or could go right to other certain functions without having to scroll through i-drive. My last car was an E39 so I haven't known i-drive any other way, but I think i-drive is very easy to use, and very convenient. The ipod function is very easy to use, and the use of full words, song titles, playlists, etc., makes finding what you want very easy. My drive to work is all of 7 miles, so I haven't spent much time in the car yet, so getting to criticism will take a little longer.

One thing I noticed which I love--not sure if pre-LCI 6M had this feature, but, while on a hill, it is virtually impossible to roll back--something prevents the roll back.

As I don't have PDC either, I have the trunk button above the seat heater button (if you look in the brochure, you'll see that is the spot for PDC). First, I was happy that they didn't just slap a blank plastic button in the spot, but made the spot useful--I actually use the feature pretty often.

I've never had L7 before, and it is amazing. As for the red signals in the rear--I think it's a very cool and different look, especially with the LEDs, and was very happy to see it.

All in all, the car is a 10 for me....so far!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Not rolling back on Autos is nothing new. However I have a manual and even in that the DSC+ stops the car from rolling back for a few seconds. Now that is cool.
It now almost makes it pointless for the DSA to check your hill start technique during a driving test ;-)
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

My car has the non rollback thing (hill hold something...0
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

I love my 2007, but the 2008 isn't that drastically different especially in the 550i.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Eh... Hill start assist takes the fun of a manual car... where are the real skills???

Quick Reply: My Impression on the 08 5 Series...