E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Heater Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same type of issues with my'04 545. It's been very cold here(12F) so, I can make allowances for the warm up time. But as the engine comes up to temp it seems to take even longer for the heater to even remotely catch up. It seems though, that once I'm driving the temp of the heater comes up a BIT faster rather than idling to warm up the car. This is of course uncomfortable but it becomes embarrassing when the GF starts her impreza and gloats about her little "thermonuclear" powered heater.
Help?!!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chef545' post='1071502' date='Dec 10 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm having the same type of issues with my'04 545. It's been very cold here(12F) so, I can make allowances for the warm up time. But as the engine comes up to temp it seems to take even longer for the heater to even remotely catch up. It seems though, that once I'm driving the temp of the heater comes up a BIT faster rather than idling to warm up the car. This is of course uncomfortable but it becomes embarrassing when the GF starts her impreza and gloats about her little "thermonuclear" powered heater.
Help?!!
Must be something about NW e60's. I'm in Tacoma.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Members

Same issue on my 07 530i. Have an appt scheduled for next week. Will update this post with dealer response.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 03/2005 535d M-tech Sapphire black, Beige dakota leather, 18'' Star spoke style 124, Navi professional 8.8', active steering, dynamic and adaptive xenon lights

Hi,

I've same problem (cold air from vents for about half an hour, engine not heating up to operational temp and incresed fuel consumption as result of only warm engine....) till today. The solution was replacment of both thermostats ( I'm not sure if petrol cars have two thermoststs- EGR and cooling liquid) and the diffrence is huge- 5min of drive and engine is at operational temp and warm air from vents after 3 min. Check your thermostats - 99% they bad or one of them. Heard that bad thermostats is a commom E60 problem during winter months.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pratik66' post='1078953' date='Dec 23 2009, 01:51 PM
Same issue on my 07 530i. Have an appt scheduled for next week. Will update this post with dealer response.
Let us know the outcome i have an 04 530i with the same problem what makes it worse is i have no heated seats or steering wheel, so i freeze my a$$ off evey morning going to work thats after letting it idle for about 10 mins before i leave the house
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gmcc' post='1071373' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:59 AM
My 07 525xi spent a total of three weeks vacationing at the dealer last year while they changed the radiator, the thermostat, reprogramed all 17 vent controls (then told me 17, I never counted them) and replaced various other parts. The end result is I finally have heat, but only after about a 15 to 20 minute ride. Unfortunately my office is only about 10 minutes away so with the seat heater and the heated steering wheel on, I make it. The lines by the tach only go down to the three after a 20 minute ride. If I leave the system on full "auto" it starts blowing cold air at the windshield and then alternates betwenn feet and dash. I have played with al the settings, little red guy, soft, med and intensive and the plus and minus dashes. Seems to regulate the fan but there is no heat for the fan to push out. I keep it off "auto" and keep the fan down low until I drive far enough to to get the tach lines down. Then "Auto" works.
Very disappointed in the heating system.
I have the same problem. Before the car used to heat the car very nicely now it takes a good 15-20 min and blows cold air for the first five min. Big road trip tomorrow interesting to see how the heat will work out. Also putting the system on auto just results in cold air being blown at the feet.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

I had a similar situation last year. I have a 2004 530i and I was having a similar issue with the heat. Last year my heater refused to work. When this issue started the air temp was around 10 F. I do think the colder it is the longer the car takes to heat up - something to consider. The root of my problem was the air would not warm up at all except when I'd stop at a traffic light. Only then I could feel the air starting to warm up - I mean some nice warm air, but once I was on the go again the air would get cold - it drove me crazy! I did all the normal checks and finally decided to take the car into the dealer. I was told I had a bad thermostat stuck in the open position. The repair was covered under the CPO less a $50 deduction. Once repaired the car warmed up relatively quick - well faster then my Jeep Wrangler I had :-). Honestly now I'd say the car temp is changing within 5 mins. I also let the warmup in the driveway for a few - an ingrained habit from the Wrangler. Also I never receive an error iDrive, but defiantly the signs of a bad thermostat were there. I sort of took the car for granted thinking it would let me know something was wrong, so lesson here is if you think somethings wrong and its absolute repeatable problem then take it in. I while I drive error are helpful I don't think it necessarily covers everything. Good luck!

Jay
Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I had the same issue car in the shop for about a month, repaired under warrenty, thermostat replaced, waterpump, replaced, and ultimatly it was the hkra system that was defective I now have heat like a mother f_cker, even out of the center console vents and it is hot not respectively cool like they say in the manual good luck on this quest for fire (heat)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='1079206' date='Dec 24 2009, 12:19 AM
I had the same issue car in the shop for about a month, repaired under warrenty, thermostat replaced, waterpump, replaced, and ultimatly it was the hkra system that was defective I now have heat like a mother f_cker, even out of the center console vents and it is hot not respectively cool like they say in the manual good luck on this quest for fire (heat)
what's an hkra system googled it but nothing came up
Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

The control unit that controls the temp it maybe called something else in the e60 that is what it was call in my e34 but it had to be replaced and all is well

Quick Reply: My Heater Sucks!