E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My first PUMA case

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain what a puma is exactly.

The dealer i had my car serviced just opened up a puma case on the Idrive.

(My display went dead...i mean totally dead. Not even the 'display off' light showed. Yet the idrive itself worked as i could move around it using the controller from memory.

If puma is what i think it is (i.e. no bmw guidelines on what to do) then this must mean im the only person ever to have such a problem?
Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It is a BMW ancronym 'Parts/Procedure under manufacturers assesment'

Dealers are often required to submit these for less common problems or to get clearance before they are able to carry out certain procedures under warranty.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

why don't they just try to put a Idrive screen from a different car and they will know right away if it is the screen itself or some other more complicated wire related problem.... switching just the screen is a 1 min job....with no cost
that is what they will do sooner or later anyway as a first step in finding what is wrong.....

and yes, you understand the term PUMA case very well
Old 04-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='266308' date='Apr 8 2006, 10:29 AM
Can someone explain what a puma is exactly.

The dealer i had my car serviced just opened up a puma case on the Idrive.

(My display went dead...i mean totally dead. Not even the 'display off' light showed. Yet the idrive itself worked as i could move around it using the controller from memory.

If puma is what i think it is (i.e. no bmw guidelines on what to do) then this must mean im the only person ever to have such a problem?

If you search the forum you will see it is very common, It happened me on my last E60. Thankfully they had already agreed to replace it due to other issues.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

KAF is spot on. You often see on critical parts, such as TCU or M5 SMG tranny issues, that the Service Bulletin states service center MUST submit PuMA case to even be permitted to replace the parts. On other cases there is a whole set of specific criteria that must be followed by the service center/techs prior to submitting a PuMA case. We have some other threads with more detail on the PuMA process as well.