E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My first message on best quality Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the club netjazz. man you have some patience, but it will pay off. cheers! rollee
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Members

Thank you all for the nice welcome.
I still post at times on the E39 Roadfly board, but gave up on their E60 board thanks to the trolls. See a lot of the same names over here, so I guess you feel the same.
It appears my car is trully going to be shipped to New York.The Wallenius Wilhelmsen web site shows a booking number for my Vin# on the vessel Figaro leaving Bremerhaven Wed. June 23 and arriving New York on Sat. July 2
The wait has been much to long and eventfull. At some time in the future I will relate my experiences in the hope that it will be of benifit to future BMW buyers. This has been quite a trip, but hopfully it will end nicely with the delivery of the 545i as scheduled..
Old 06-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly are trolls.

Signed, In the dark (about alot of things)
Old 06-21-2004, 07:28 PM
JDN
Contributors

On the Internet, the term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally:

1. A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) thought to be intended to incite controversy or conflict.
2. A person who posts these.

The term troll has negative connotations, and is often applied as an insult. An individual posting honestly-held but controversial opinions is sometimes mis-labeled as a troll. By contrast, a troll's primary incentive is generally considered to be the incitement of conflict.

A troll's reactions to being identified as a troll often gives the game away. A person unjustly accused of being a troll may be hurt and express indignation. A troll is more likely to react with verbal abuse, raising the stakes with inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of the accuser, and may pursue his/her perceived enemy from site to site.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are 'trolling' in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors claim that true "Devil's Advocates" generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette whereas trolls do not feel so bound.

Trolls are sometimes caricatured as socially-inept. This is often due to fundamental attribution error, as it is difficult to know the real traits of an individual solely from their online discourse. Indeed, since intentional trolls are alleged to knowingly flout social boundaries, it is difficult to typecast them as socially inept since they have arguably proven adept at their goal of inciting conflict.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Icy
Members

JDN,

What a superb analysis and definition of a real problem (over on RF).

I thought about asking you to post this over there (RF) but it would probably be a waste of time.

I am thankful for this forum.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

JDN: Thanks for enlightening me. Yours was a lucid and obviouslywell thought out explanation. My regards.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:01 PM
JDN
Contributors

Thanks for the kudos, ranieriwm, but all I did was to Google it and choose a site for reference.

Welcome to the E60 forum.