E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My First BMW Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post on this forum, regarding my new old 2004 BMW 545i Sport.

Car specs:
74,500 miles
Sport model, loaded with nav, adaptive cruise
6 series wheels (I don't know the style code)
fresh tires
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Stage 3 software (so I was told)
Dinan Throttle body

Purchased the car on October 15th from a middle aged guy that I trusted for a few reasons, which I shouldn't have. The car was clean and he had meticulous maintenance records. The engine and tranny were very tight on the test drive, paint was in great shape for a six year old car. So, I decided to go ahead with the deal and gave him $18500 after negotiating.

Then, work sent me overseas for a week and travel to silicon valley. The car sat at my apt. for the first two weeks that I owned it. I had intended on having a specialty shop do a pre-purchase inspection, but time was short with work and I just moved to AZ. I passed on the inspection because the guy seemed square. Boy was I wrong. The first Sunday that I really had a chance to take the car out and drive it, I had an emissions and transmission malfunction. It was stuck in second gear. I had to pull over and turn it off. The tran malf went away, but the emissions light stayed on. Brought it to a shop, they cleared it out - 9 codes! Picked it up. The very next day I am driving back to the office from lunch and the engine dies making a u-turn. Just dies. Everything else seems ok, no codes. So, I start the process of a tow truck after trying to get it to restart. The worst part is, my boss was with me at lunch. Perfect timing.

So, while I was on the phone with the towing company, the car starts after having tried every few minutes. So, later that day I bring it back to the shop. They come back later with a steering angle sensor problem, and reset it. The other problems they found were. 1.) pass front strut mount is completely shot 2.) engine vacuum pump leaking, 3.) pass front fender liner destroyed 4.) both engine belts ready to be replaced.

I wouldn't be too annoyed with the mechanical stuff, except that the guy told me ALL OF THE MAINTENANCE was up to date and he had just replaced all the engine hoses and had it pre-sale checked at a local shop.

Fast forward. The first specialty shop was giving me the run around on the electrical problems and complaining. So, I moved the car to Autobahn Autosport in Mesa. Their tech and owner were much more professional, and honest. They showed me all the problems with the car including what the other shop did not find. Both front strut mounts were shot, not just one. The pass rear shock was leaking oil. The front bumper mounting screws were all missing! The engine vacuum pump was not actually leaking. It was the switch below it, $100 vs. $700. And the real kicker....the Dinan Stage 3 software was not installed on the car as advertised by the seller. I have asked the shop to figure out if it was ever installed. the guy gave me a receipt for installation....but I think Chapman BMW screwed him, or he is lying. Still no resolution on the electric gremlins, other than the shop tech says the suspension sagging could be throwing the codes with the adaptive sway bar? Thoughts? or a bad battery, though it was replaced a year ago.

So, I decided to round out the car with the Dinan intake and keep it after a lot of thought. It is a great car that I would never afford new. So, I am extremely diappointed that I am going to be $3700 in repairs/upgrades into a car I've had for three weeks. BTW, instead of replacing the ridiculously expensive OEM struts/shocks I picked up a set of FK Automotive Highsport coilovers for $700. We'll see how they hold up. The install labor is expensive, but I can always put the stock struts back on later...

I love the car, but next time I will think twice about buying a BMW that doesn't have a warranty. I found extended warranty's from $2850-$5500. No way in hell I'm going there, as they were all exclusionary warranties.

MG
Attached Thumbnails My First BMW Experience-bmw545i.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sorry to hear about your issues. I hope you get everything worked out for the better. And, welcome to the forums.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forums. Hope you get the issues sorted out and let the mods start. Gorgeous color great looking wheels .

If you need any help with anymore problems that you might experience (hopefully not) or have anymore questions about extended warranties and whatnot just post here and we will gladly try to assist you.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

sorry brother thats how it be sometimes. Good luck tho
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Sucks sorry to hear but how could you NOT know the struts were blown on a test drive
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 08 550 sport

Sorry to hear that welcome to the E60, hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about all of the issues with your 545i. I am surprised, I didn't think BMW offered Adaptive Cruise in the 2004 model - can anybody confirm the model year this option was first offered. Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Welcome and sorry to hear of your problems.

With regards to the Dinan software, it could have been installed in the past and maybe the previous owner had to do a reprogram at the dealer and didn't realize that by doing that it would erase the Dinan software. I think though with the receipt you may be able to have the Dinan reprogrammed again for no charge.

Hopefully once you get your repairs done you will be able to enjoy the car
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Man, sorry to hear about all the issues, but eventually you'll find ways to clear out all the bugs. Once you do, you'll have a lot of fun with your 5. Welcome aboard!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
DSF
Members

My Ride: 545i Individual 2005
Model Year: 2005

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the problems.
The coilovers change and whatever suspension work you have to do does not require a specialized and expensive garage. You can even do it yourself with some tools and some free time, or find a cheaper garage. Watch out if you have Dynamic Drive and Adaptive Cruise Control, every change in suspension components require a recalibration of the ACC sensor, or if the ride height is radically changed, you might not be able to calibrate it. Ask around on this forum if you might encounter problems with the new suspension setup.
Also change all the fluids, belts, pulleys because if the guy who sold you the car lied about the belts, probably there are more maintenance items skipped. And it's not funny to run 60.000 km with the same oil.

Quick Reply: My First BMW Experience