E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My ECU was stolen from my 545i Need HELP BAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Some e60 driver was watching and waiting for their opportunity. This is too specific a crime to be random.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

kakorat: Where in the Chi area are you located?

I am just wondering why anyone would steal an ECU? What would you do with one - try to sell on ebay (and get caught)?? It's not like an E60 comes without it, or someone is thinking of replacing theirs with a stolen one?

It's Friday, so someone please enlighten me.

Cheers
Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='572249' date='May 1 2008, 06:31 AM
dam dude, I'm really sorry to hear that, hope everything works out okay

+1
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Members

Sorry to hear what happened. Get in touch with your insurance. Best of luck.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I did not think you could loke the car with the hood open/ajar. You are lucky that is all that was stolen.

If you had it in a big garage for like an Apt/condo building ask the see the security camara footage.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but this just doesn't add up. Someone breaks into your garage, opens the hood, removes the ECU, but then shuts the box back up and shuts the hood, so that you won't notice? and they didn't take anything else in the garage or from your car? not even your tools?

If this actually happened this way, it would have to be on the strangest thefts I have ever heard of. I think something else may be going on (for example, the OP fried his ECU somehow and is trying to get insurance to replace it).
Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='573064' date='May 2 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but this just doesn't add up. Someone breaks into your garage, opens the hood, removes the ECU, but then shuts the box back up and shuts the hood, so that you won't notice? and they didn't take anything else in the garage or from your car? not even your tools?

If this actually happened this way, it would have to be on the strangest thefts I have ever heard of. I think something else may be going on (for example, the OP fried his ECU somehow and is trying to get insurance to replace it).
interesting...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' 545i - Jet Black, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg

Expensive lesson learned.

I learned it the hard way too when I left my wallet, PDA and other valuables in my car overnight locked. The next morning, found out my car was broken into and all the aforementioned items stolen along with damage to the steering column as the bastards had apparently attempted to hotwire the car. The car was parked in my very own driveway and I live in a fairly decent neighborhood. This was my HONDA Accord (no alarm). If it was my e60, I'd have gone postal.

Figured it some was junkie raring to get a fix and would attempt to sell anything to satiate his craving.

Hope things work out for you man.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

It is a weird story.
@1esquire: if the author was going to pull an insurance scam, it wouldn't be useful to also put this on the forum (insurance companies don't read fora to decide whether they should pay up). I would discard that option.

Someone suggested that an E60 owner may have been waiting for his chance and took it. Also highly unlikely in my view. Hard to imagine an E60 owner that is without its ECU and then assumes that one from any other car would do.

My guess is that you have an enemy closeby. @kakorat: did you by chance piss off your neighbor recently?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='573143' date='May 2 2008, 02:25 PM
It is a weird story.
@1esquire: if the author was going to pull an insurance scam, it wouldn't be useful to also put this on the forum (insurance companies don't read fora to decide whether they should pay up). I would discard that option.

Someone suggested that an E60 owner may have been waiting for his chance and took it. Also highly unlikely in my view. Hard to imagine an E60 owner that is without its ECU and then assumes that one from any other car would do.

My guess is that you have an enemy closeby. @kakorat: did you by chance piss off your neighbor recently?

Yea this makes the most sense, someone is most likely trying to screw with the OP

Quick Reply: My ECU was stolen from my 545i Need HELP BAD!!