5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   My E60 through the white Burgoundy (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/my-e60-through-white-burgoundy-23037/)

OliverB 03-05-2006 10:03 AM

This saturday, I was coming back from Lyon (France) towards Belgium. Everybody here knows Burgundy, I suppose ? Right ! Between BEAUNE and LANGRES, there is 120 km. My E60 took 4 HOURS 30 to ride this distance ! No ..., no brakedown, no accident (not for me) ... But heavy snow falls, blizzard, ice evywhere !
The motorway was very crowdy, due to return travels from mountain (school holiday here). You can imagine lorries stuck in light hills, cars slipping to the ditch, cars moving at 5 km/h when it was at least possible to move !

You know what, I felt really very happy to sit in my 530D :

- Winter tyres & DTC were doing a fantastic job, while MB ML, Range Rover or Volvo X90 were strugling on their large summer sport tyres ! They need people pushing to start to move, an other cars rear bumpers to stop !!! :blink: My E60 was even able to pass in the grass in deep snow to overtake stuck trucks. Ok, I admit traction was maybe better with 120 bottles of fine wines in the trunk !!! :thumbsup:

- The steptronic is giant in "les bouchons" (we were in Burgundy). Thousands of times I've had to stop & to restart. It's so simply without clutch ! It's my first automatic gearbox, but I'll never choose anything else (maybe SMG).

- I could stay 100% cool & zen sitting in my car, in my heated sport seat, listening nice music through HiFi system : 180 songs on the same MP3 CD !!!

- Everything was working fine : clim, engine, wipers, headlights,... while other conductors had to stop to remove ice on their windscreen, or for engine heating problems because of ice stuck on the radiators, or headlights covered with snow.
I was just thinking snow looks whiter under double xenon light !!

I never drove a so secure car : ice, snow, "sloche", water, mud on the road & only this little yellow light on the dashboard lets you know the car is doing the job for you ! I've never been a fan of all these electronic systems making the driving easier, but I have to admit it's +++ in such difficult conditions !

With 800 kms autonomy, you need to stop only for a little pee. And when you finaly arrive home after beeing sitted 8 hours, you are not tired, you don't have pain at your back ! Fantastic. My friend traveling with me owns a MB E320cdi, and I'm now sure his next car will be also a E60 !!!

Why only 99% satisfaction ? In fact I have a slight vibration in the front brakes. I think the front left brake disc received a thermic shock after the wheel passed in a water splash just after a hard braking. I called my dealer and he fixed an appointment to change the front disks & the pads under warranty (I've only 6.000 kms).

By the way, I often travel across Burgundy, but I NEVER saw such road conditions in that nice part of France !

And if I may advise you a very good adress when you travel there : Hostellerie du Chapeau Rouge, centrum Dijon. Both Hotel & Restaurant are perfect. :twoup: (we spent the night there when traveling to Lyon).

EBMCS03 03-05-2006 11:50 AM

HAHAHAHA thats cool! Must have made those SUVs look dumb when a 4 door "sports saloon" was doing better than them... reguardless of tires... they didnt know waht you had... :D

znod 03-05-2006 02:40 PM

Great story of satisfaction Oliver. I am glad that all is well with you and your car. Hoping to meet you when we get back to Brussels one day.

ats77 03-05-2006 02:57 PM

Oliver I am happy for you and your safe trip, I also posted in e60 on icy road it is amazing and I need no x-drive for 5er, I like X6 :D

les bouchons-I hope once you show me one :P I will show you Cab Sav 2001 my fav :thumbsup:

No we need no smg, just soon Hobi's paddles :think: :thumbsup:

Ray Hull 03-05-2006 03:40 PM

Hope it wasn't "unsettling" for the wine.....

Cheers,
Ray Hull