E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car went to the dealer again ToT 4th time in 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008 | 05:41 AM
Members

I bought this car 4 months ago, brand new 2008 535i.

This first 2 weeks with the car, i was having a very long cranking sound, it was Fuel pump problem so they replace it

after that I have all the minor problems like, wood trim pop out, car move sometime move slightly backward when I release the break, etc.

just about 2 weeks ago, while i was driving at night, all the interior lights include the nav screen, just shut off completely. It freaked my out so bad since It was really dark... so I brought the car in and they replace the CCC unit or something.

Yesterday my car was tolled. When I start the car in the morning, the cranking was way way worse than the first fuel pump. Then the rpm just jump to about 2500 from now where and then it just fall down to almost 0. After that, the rpm keep moving in between 0 - 1 like crazy and the car start shaking very badly within the interior light go crazy like what you'll see happen in an earth quake; you can also easily notice the shaking from the outside. When it start shaking for about 2 - 3 second, the magic sign came up "Engine Malfunction, Reduce power"
I show the car to my customer and they were like, "are you serious this is a new car?"

This scare the crap out of me because the shaking was happen somewhere on the road too and the car will not move a bit when the shaking happen, you can step on the gas as much as you want but the rpm will just keep going crazy between 0 and 1.

I just feel like I got a bad unit... first car, first bmw, This is bad....

I need the car to go to school and loaner is impossible for me since I'm only 19...

What should I do
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

This is obv a lemon. Go to the dealer and have them exchange it. If not you may need to contact BMW directly or something. Im sure other members will chime in and all agree that its ridiculous. Good luck with it.
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Must be a Friday Afternoon Car
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

that sucks! GL on this one!
Old 11-24-2008 | 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Senza007' post='729895' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:08 AM
This is obv a lemon. Go to the dealer and have them exchange it. If not you may need to contact BMW directly or something.
+1. Sounds like this car has had more problems than a CPO. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2008 | 07:16 AM
Senior Members

sorry to hear that
Old 11-24-2008 | 07:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by closea35007' post='729871' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:41 AM

This first 2 weeks with the car, i was having a very long cranking sound, it was Fuel pump problem so they replace it

after that I have all the minor problems like, wood trim pop out, car move sometime move slightly backward when I release the break, etc.

just about 2 weeks ago, while i was driving at night, all the interior lights include the nav screen, just shut off completely. It freaked my out so bad since It was really dark... so I brought the car in and they replace the CCC unit or something.

Yesterday my car was tolled. When I start the car in the morning, the cranking was way way worse than the first fuel pump. Then the rpm just jump to about 2500 from now where and then it just fall down to almost 0. After that, the rpm keep moving in between 0 - 1 like crazy and the car start shaking very badly within the interior light go crazy like what you'll see happen in an earth quake; you can also easily notice the shaking from the outside. When it start shaking for about 2 - 3 second, the magic sign came up "Engine Malfunction, Reduce power"
I show the car to my customer and they were like, "are you serious this is a new car?"

This scare the crap out of me because the shaking was happen somewhere on the road too and the car will not move a bit when the shaking happen, you can step on the gas as much as you want but the rpm will just keep going crazy between 0 and 1.

I need the car to go to school and loaner is impossible for me since I'm only 19...

What should I do

Before you return this car can I trade out my pre LCI headlights and taillights with you?

Just Kidding
Old 11-24-2008 | 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by Senza007' post='729895' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:08 AM
This is obv a lemon. Go to the dealer and have them exchange it. If not you may need to contact BMW directly or something. Im sure other members will chime in and all agree that its ridiculous. Good luck with it.

LOL J/K senza yea but hes right if the car is brand new it doesnt matter if your just 19 you bought the car so tell them to give you a loaner because that is ridiculous, or you'll complain to BMW of America themselves. about there dealership and they'll give you something right away
Old 11-24-2008 | 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Your second engine issue is another HPFP...
Same thing has been happening a bunch to N54 owners across the board ( in the last week especially , just check forums at e90post, n54.com, here, bimmerfest). Depending on when you had the first HPFP replaced, this would be nothing new, some 335 owners have had 5 replaced in under 9 months, 3 seems to be the average so far. BMW is on the 4th gen of the Pump so far. There are 4 different part numbers so you can find out which one you have. Also the early replacement pumps were just rebuilds of the first gen really bad ones the gen 3 and 4's seem to be much better.... so far.

Also welcome to the wonderful world of lag.... 9/10th of the N54 owners that have had the HPFP replaced got he Lag inducing DMS software installed on their cars, there will be a fix in Jan According to BMW ( software roll back) if you don't mind waste gate chatter...

Also do you live in a area that has a Lot of ethanol in its gas, use discount gas ( costco, sam's club , Etc), or a EPA mandated RFG area ( ATL, Louisville, LA)

High ethanol content gas ( 10%+) will kill your HPFP fast... as kill the low Pressure pump, and the eat the fuel lines...

Originally Posted by closea35007' post='729871' date='Nov 24 2008, 08:41 AM

What should I do
Old 11-24-2008 | 09:08 AM
Members

I always use 91 Chevron for my gas. I never use any other gas even for my parents' honda and toyota.

I video record/take pictures all of the stuff that happen to my car. I'll go meet them @ 1 o'clock today. will see what happen...

I was also thinking about using lemon law too or probably hope that they will just buy it back and get me a new one.

Also, If i don't get to UCLA for the Fall 2009, i'll blame everything on them since they ruin my study time

Quick Reply: My car went to the dealer again ToT 4th time in 4 months