E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car just went BERSERKER!! Everything failed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

So I'm driving and all the sudden everyone's favorite bell sound goes off and I look at the idrive screen and it says dynamic stability control failure. I pull over and turn off the car for a minute, then back on and no errors on the screen, so I continue to drive. All the sudden it shows a transmission failure, then dynamic stability control failure and the flat tire monitor failure, back to back to back. Then the idrive screen goes completely blank and then comes back on with the transmission failure again, then blacks out, then back on again. I pull over knowing that something is seriously wrong and turn the car off again, then back on and everything seems like it's gravy again. I drive and all of the above happens again, plus the car is shifting weird, then holds in 3rd gear without upshifting. I flip the shifter to manual mode to try to upshift and nothing happens. My speedometer goes from 40mph to zero, then a few seconds later back to 40, and it continues to drop and then go back, and each time it does this the air conditioning shuts off. By the time I got home from this crazy 12 mile drive I had the following errors pop up on the screen:
flat tire monitor failure
transmission failure
dynamic stability control failure
abs failure
increased emmissions
active steering failure
check engine light is now on
then the speedo and A/C issues

What the fuck is my car smoking? This one's going to be expensive....
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

It's your battery or alternator there's a bunch of threads about this
Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Jet Black, Miro 111's, Painted Calipers, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, Ultimate Interior LED Kit, ACS Rear Spoilers (reps), HID 7k Fogs, Black Roundels and Badges, 20% Tint, Mtech V2 Angel Eyes, Ksport Coilovers, M5 Bumpers and Side Skits, ACS Front Lip (rep), and probably more on the way as you read this...

can you link me to one or several of them? i don't know what to search for in the search function.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Members

nevermind, just found a thread. thanks.

btw, what does a new alternator cost?
Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Sorry to hear this dude. It's your battery failing - why it's failing is anyones guess - either age related (mine lasted three years before it started doing funny things) or an alternator issue. If it's the battery, there's a number of threads on using non OEM ones though my advice is to stick with a BMW battery for a variety of reasons. This is a costly venture but worth it in the long run. If it's the alternator, you will need diagnostics and then a major replacement - your looking at costs in the thousands at least...

GL...

S
Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

^+1
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Members

a new alternator is several thousand dollars?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Contributors

It's the alternator. Had the same problem 2 years ago. I replaced the battery first, then a couple of months it happened again. Then brought it to the SA and they replaced it under warranty. I take it you're not under warranty anymore.

On realoem.com, they list it at $748.89.

http://www.realoem.c...198&hg=12&fg=20
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Members

any idea what the labor will run? is replacing the alternator pretty straight forward or does this take a ton of hours?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=35

$664 on that site.

Quick Reply: My car just went BERSERKER!! Everything failed