E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car got jealous and almost killed my wife!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very funny. On Sunday (Father's day) I took the family out to dinner. When we got to the place, my wife needed to stay in the car to finish her makeup (oh surprise!). I took the kids to the restaurant and we were waiting for her. Out of habit, I locked the car with her inside and it was about 90 degrees outside. After waiting for 5-10 minutes inside, we proceed to our table sans wife since she seems to be taking a looong time puting makeup on. Nothing out of the ordinary though so I dont worry. May be she is talking to someone outside since she tends to talk a lot as well .

All of a sudden the waitress comes looking for me and pretty loudly tells me that my wife called on her cellphone and that she is locked INSIDE the car and CANNOT get out. Several tables proceed to laugh as the situation seems ridiculous. How can someone get locked inside a vehicle, just open the f*** door!

Again, I am not surprised as my wife is not very technically competent either. I go to the car which is now about 110 degrees inside and she is in a full panic. When pulling on the handle of any door, the car teases her and unlocks and locks the doors really quickly without any time to get out. Pulling on the handle twice does nothing. And there is no way to unlock it manually. She did not know where the unlock doors button was, but after I showed her, it still did nothing. The horn did not work either and the alarm never went off (motion detector). Of course I try not to laugh and proceed to hit the unlock button on the keyfob. NOTHING!!! I had to manually place the key in the lock to get her out.

Of course she was pissed but saw the humor in it and we laughed. Now she thinks the car got jealous of her and tried to kill her since the car and I spend quite a bit of time together.

After the episode I tested it again thinking that it was something odd, and the same thing happened to me. The only way to get out of the car from the inside if it is locked and the alarm set is to hit the central unlock button which will click the doors but the door button will not actually go up and then you pull from the handle and the door will open and the alarm will go off. I have not read the manual about this so may be someone can explain this better as I think it is pretty dangerous with kids not being able to get out of the car in an emergency (not that I leave the kids in the car often)

Pablo
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Contributors

Wow! I'm glad she was alright. I recall reading something in the manual about not locking the car with someone inside (from the remote). If someone inside wants to lock the car, their supposed to use the button from the inside.

This is a good lesson/reminder for those of us with kids!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

please show me how to do this and i'll leave my gf inside the car .
Old 06-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Members

On the old bimmers you could unlock it from indoors when locked from the Keyfob, but no more! I suppose (in a way) it makes sense - why (if you've locked it with a keyfob) would you want to unlock all doors from inside? Security precaution i suppose.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributors

You'll find this in the manual in the mother-in-law section..
Old 06-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi ED 7/1/2005. Silver Grey, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Sport, Logic 7, 18'' style 123 rims.

Great story. I guess you could consider having a glass break device, but I would be pretty pissed if the wife found that as the most plausible option vs. knowing where the central unlock button was.

Live and learn..I guess. Funny Story!!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

Good one, FF. Could also be useful in those cases where the bad guy makes you drive him to the ATM machine. Stop too far away to reach the ATM keyboard, get out to operate the keyboard, and lock the doors.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

This is the dead lock here. Not sure if this feature exists in the US version. But mine would not do anything (not lock/unlock quickly as described) once the doors are locked with the fob. The only way to unlock is through the fob.

There was a case here recently where a father locked his 2 kids in the car, and left his key in the trunk which he unwittingly closed! He finally had to break the windscreen to get them out after they went hysterical.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

DUDE!!! LOL!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Members

Weird thing is the keyfob would not work either after someone attempted to open the car from the inside...

Quick Reply: My car got jealous and almost killed my wife!!!