E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 545 sport vs my departed Lexus GS L-tuned

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No mods

i know what your trying to say Rudy, maybe b/c I had a bad experience at the last Socal meet taking sharp turns (no sport package btw)
Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I had a 545 with Sports package and I thought the car handled great but then again I couldn't tell you how it handled compared to the Lexus. On the other hand, I modded that 545 and had KW V2s with 20" wheels (exact set up freed0m) had and the car handled fantastic.

Rudy,
I understand what you're saying about factory suspension designed by knowledgeable engineers to work in conjunction with every other part of the car but you CAN improve handling. You'll just sacrifice some comfort. I can attest to the huge difference in improved handling when I upgraded my 545 as well as my M5 to aftermarket suspensions.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='460217' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:20 PM
Rudy,
I understand what you're saying about factory suspension designed by knowledgeable engineers to work in conjunction with every other part of the car but you CAN improve handling. You'll just sacrifice some comfort. I can attest to the huge difference in improved handling when I upgraded my 545 as well as my M5 to aftermarket suspensions.
I agree that you can improve on things but my point was that often time you can degrade things to the point where the car's performance is not improved at all. To me, "sliding all over the place" on a modded car raises a red flag.

Modding isn't something to be done without a proper design, plan, etc. It's simple to bolt on a new wheel and tire package and/or add some spacers to make things look good but, for the sake of argument, let's say that the overall diameter of the new wheel/tire package is not the same as the factory spec. It's possible that this difference in spec can adversely affect the suspension geometry as well as the calibration of the DSC sensors, the ABS sensors, etc. If modding is done right, then it's likely to work well together as a system. If it's not done right, all bets are off...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Sorry if I misread an earlier post somewhere but I don't think P3style's car is modded..

But I do agree that you can go overboard with mods to the point that things start to have negative effects...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='460222' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry if I misread an earlier post somewhere but I don't think P3style's car is modded..

But I do agree that you can go overboard with mods to the point that things start to have negative effects...

Direct plus one wheel/tire upgrade from 18" sport package wheels - no spacers or anything like that...

No other mods guys. You know I was just thinking - maybe I haven't properly adjusted to the 545 yet, right? I mean I can't drive it the same as my GS3 - and I am - but, I shouldn't. B/C of the V8 and heck of alot more power I need to get used to the throttle and when I should hit the gas in a turn and by how much...

My baby's gettin a full detail outside right now - so I'll go at some curves with a couple diff mind sets and tell ya what I come up with.

By the way - I'm going to write-up the outcome of my detail - it is being done by Mike at Santa Monica detail - obviously mobile.

Don't think anybody in SoCal has written anything up by him yet - he looks to be the real deal...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

p3style, are you turning off the DSC system when you play with the car? Just curious...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='460233' date='Aug 19 2007, 12:53 PM
p3style, are you turning off the DSC system when you play with the car? Just curious...
Yes, it is off - It's weird..on my GS (called veheicle skid control) it was always on - but that was the default - so when I turned it off a "VSC off" light came on.
But on the 545 the lights turn on when you have it "turned on"...

Hence i have it off as that seems to be the default on the BMW...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by p3style' post='460237' date='Aug 19 2007, 04:12 PM
Yes, it is off - It's weird..on my GS (called veheicle skid control) it was always on - but that was the default - so when I turned it off a "VSC off" light came on.
But on the 545 the lights turn on when you have it "turned on"...

Hence i have it off as that seems to be the default on the BMW...
I think you have things confused. On the 545, when the light is off, then the DSC system is fully functional. If you press the DSC button once, the system deactivates some of it's function to allow some wheelspin (to help on snowy roads, etc.) In this mode, the warning light stays on and a message is shown that tells you that DSC is limited and that DTC is active. Instead of pressing and releasing the button, pressing and holding it will completely disable the system. In this case, a message stating that DSC is off shows up.

You may want to re-read the manual on this feature -- it sounds like you're disabling the system when you actually intend to enable it...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i think you confusing. speed, and safety...the e60 has a very loose rear end, i dont know for sure, but this may be because of having so much grip in the front that there is only the rear to give, or perhaps the rear just has alot less grip..causing oversteer. this setup is used as a sport setup (50/50 weight distrobution)
now in the lexus (i havnt drivin that) i imagine the car with alot more understeer which is safer, and somehow creates the illusion that the car is alot more stable. because the rear doesnt give way, and seems planted. .realility is its alot worse. because you end up with no manuverability, meaning you just go straight in a corner. this is a much safer setup for normal road cars..heavy nose cars..

if your sliding too much, you could be too aggresive with the steering wheel in turns, (which is nessccary in the lexus to feel speed)or heavy on the gas, try to be smoother.. i think thats it.. Oh and one more thing... check your tire preasures and adjust them to the setup you like you will be supprised with the effect..

i dont think any car this size will ever be as agile in corners as the e60 is,,, until the f10..
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Problem solved!!

Front PSI changed from 38 to 32 and rears changed from 38 to 34.

No more lost traction on hard turns when accelerating!!

It's a completely different car now guys!

I can't believe I didnt think of that before.

By the way, Rudy, you are absolutely correct.
I got confused with the DSC and DTC.

Quick Reply: My 545 sport vs my departed Lexus GS L-tuned