E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 535 has left me stranded...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black
Default My 535 has left me stranded...

2009 535i 52k miles.

I'll try to make it quick, mostly looking for opinions from you guys. Was driving two nights ago and iDrive msg: Engine running hot please drive moderately! The message was gone after 20 seconds, so I was like ok that's weird, I don't have any check engine or anything. Next morning same message appears, keep driving waiting for the message to go away and is not going away so in a red light I try tuning off the car, when turning it back on I see coolant smoke coming out of the hood and a sound like something broke/blew inside so I turn it back off again and say to myself: shit shit shit shit.

Anyway, dealer called me today and said my fan broke and that was the sound I heard and that's why the car was getting hot.

Thing is, they replaced my water pump, hoses, turbos, and gasket less than 2 months ago and I would hear the fans going crazy even when the ac was on low. I'm in Miami so it has been about perfect weather lately.. how can the fan just break? They told me I was getting a 75% discount on the fan because the milage and some bs I don't believe so I'll end up paying only $470 (they said it was almost.. wait for it.. $1500).

What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What does fan broke mean? Did one of the fan blades break off? If that was it, they may have done it. If it means the fan motor burned out, I'm not so sure they had anything to do with it.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

its hard to tell what they found. and if they're telling the truth.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Almost all of them are not honest and jack up cost then give you a discount... $1200.00 quote for my 535 valve cover gasket with a discount! I laughed...
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2009
Engine: n54

Was the fan running very high when you first got overheat indication? If so that strikes me like bad water pump even if it's new. The car should have gone into limp mode. Was the expansion tank empty? Where was the smoke coming from?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

If your car is like my 530i (likely is), the fan blade, shroud, motor, etc are all serviced as a singular unit. So if any of those parts failed (usually the motor craps out), you get a complete assembly.

1-$470 is pretty reasonable, but at the upper end of the 'reasonable' spectrum. $1500 is a joke. seriously. that's robbery.

2- any part on any car can fail at any time. it's likely coincidence.

3-i'm in FL too. at least this didn't happen in july...

4-dont take your car to the dealer unless you absolutely have to. they are insanely expensive compared to a competent independent.

5-motortrend.com is showing that a small number of '09s had a recall for the fan assembly. don't know any more than that, or if there's any truth to it. i'd ask.

Last edited by KyleB; 04-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Originally Posted by twh
What does fan broke mean? Did one of the fan blades break off? If that was it, they may have done it. If it means the fan motor burned out, I'm not so sure they had anything to do with it.
Yes I guess that's what he said on the phone.

Originally Posted by turboawd
its hard to tell what they found. and if they're telling the truth.
I was thinking the same, I was thinking it was the water pump from reading around the forums.

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Almost all of them are not honest and jack up cost then give you a discount... $1200.00 quote for my 535 valve cover gasket with a discount! I laughed...
Ridiculous, I took it in for them to replace my turbos under warranty, and they said I needed to change the water pump since it looked cracked already and its common for them to go out, also since they were there to change hoses, and gasket leak. paid $1700 for all of the above. Tought I would be problems free for a while, guess I was wrong.

Originally Posted by metalicnight
Was the fan running very high when you first got overheat indication? If so that strikes me like bad water pump even if it's new. The car should have gone into limp mode. Was the expansion tank empty? Where was the smoke coming from?
That's what I was thinking, smoke was coming from the coolant I guess, when I heard the "bang" after i turned on the car all the coolant came off.

Originally Posted by KyleB
If your car is like my 530i (likely is), the fan blade, shroud, motor, etc are all serviced as a singular unit. So if any of those parts failed (usually the motor craps out), you get a complete assembly.

1-$470 is pretty reasonable, but at the upper end of the 'reasonable' spectrum. $1500 is a joke. seriously. that's robbery.

2- any part on any car can fail at any time. it's likely coincidence.

3-i'm in FL too. at least this didn't happen in july...

4-dont take your car to the dealer unless you absolutely have to. they are insanely expensive compared to a competent independent.

5-motortrend.com is showing that a small number of '09s had a recall for the fan assembly. don't know any more than that, or if there's any truth to it. i'd ask.
1- True
2- True
3- True haha and luckily I had a bar next to where all this happened so I left my car there and had a few beers til the tow truck came.
4- I know, it's just that since they did all this work on the water pump etc. about two months ago I was going to make them pay for it.

Thank all for the replies