E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 3 months with Sirius installed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I didn't realize that many people didn't like it!

I love mine, and haven't listened to the radio since I got it. In fact, my wife asked if we could get it in her Expedition.

I actually thought it sounded great when i first got it and switched off the radio station and turned it on. Sounded like a CD!

Oh well, to each his own. I won't have another car without it (or Nav for that matter)

James
Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

I think you guys are too spoiled. Channel 5 in Sirius sure sounds a whole lot better in my 545, than it did in my '57 Chevy!

Joe
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dfunk' post='211469
I had Sirius installed about 3 months ago in my 545i with L7. I was really looking forward to it but it's been a letdown overall. The biggest pill to swallow was the sound quality. It's just so obviously compressed and inferior to CD that I find it unenjoyable to listen to. I'm not some big audiophile but I know crap when I hear it and Sirius sounds like crap.

Another thing-- don't most of you out there think that satellite radio is commercial-free? Wrong. The music stations are commercial free except for self-promoting commercials featuring Sirius products, but the news and talk stations are laced with commercials. I was really looking forward to the FoxNews channel, but I can hardly stand to listen to it because there are SO MANY commercials. And not just regular commercials, mind you. Apparently Sirius thinks that it's listeners are all balding, fat, impotent, unemployed get-rich-quick types because EVERY commercial is for a hair growth product, male 'enhancement' products, bankruptcy stuff, and 'make $10k from your home with no work commercials. I kid you not, it's torture to listen to it.

Note to Sirus--drop half your channels. Uncompress the music channels. Use network standards for commercials. Or I guarantee I am not renewing my subscription-- I don't care if I did pay $750 to get the thing installed.
Is Savage on Sirius? He was on XM for a while, one of the reasons I got XM in my last car. He pulled his program off XM, wonder if he did the same on Sirius..
[/quote]

Michael Savage...How about Bob Grant or Dr. Joy! Hey..i am just joking to get you giggle
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by das' post='211629' date='Dec 15 2005, 12:33 PM
I just want to chime in here:

Sirius (and XM) are *not that freaking bad*.

I mean, it's not like a normal person would be listening to this and go, "OH MY GOD, THIS SOUNDS HORRIBLE, PLEASE KILL ME NOW!"

To most ordinary people, Sirius music channels sound just as good as any other music format they might listen to. Some music types (e.g., classical, acoustic guitar) will suffer more from compression than others (hip hop, rock).

Also, a system as good as Logic7 really does reveal all of the imperfections in music. But the point is, to anyone who hasn't heard satellite radio, it's not as bad as some people make it sound. In fact, I think it sounds wonderful, and in the last two years I've had satellite radio, I haven't touched FM radio or inserted a CD. (An iPod holds my own music, but that's the only thing other than satellite that I use.)

I happen to agree that Sirius isn't audiophile quality, but I wouldn't be caught without it... If you're in the mood for audiophile sounding music - play a CD... but I find myself constantly switching around Sirius to fit my mood... better than having all these CD's flying out of their jewel boxes...

I'm also looking forward to Stern. His last three weeks on KRock have been really good and I'm anxious to see how he performs with the gloves off...
Old 12-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by flavorguy' post='211803
I just want to chime in here:

Sirius (and XM) are *not that freaking bad*.

I mean, it's not like a normal person would be listening to this and go, "OH MY GOD, THIS SOUNDS HORRIBLE, PLEASE KILL ME NOW!"

To most ordinary people, Sirius music channels sound just as good as any other music format they might listen to. Some music types (e.g., classical, acoustic guitar) will suffer more from compression than others (hip hop, rock).

Also, a system as good as Logic7 really does reveal all of the imperfections in music. But the point is, to anyone who hasn't heard satellite radio, it's not as bad as some people make it sound. In fact, I think it sounds wonderful, and in the last two years I've had satellite radio, I haven't touched FM radio or inserted a CD. (An iPod holds my own music, but that's the only thing other than satellite that I use.)

I happen to agree that Sirius isn't audiophile quality, but I wouldn't be caught without it... If you're in the mood for audiophile sounding music - play a CD... but I find myself constantly switching around Sirius to fit my mood... better than having all these CD's flying out of their jewel boxes...

I'm also looking forward to Stern. His last three weeks on KRock have been really good and I'm anxious to see how he performs with the gloves off...
[/quote]Audiophile guality with CD/L7?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

I drive about 35,000 per year. I have had sirius since January, and now I'm frustrated to get into a car without it.

I have not listened to any radio since I got it and love it. I have already paid for the next year.

The sound quality is not as good as cd, but I listen to news/talk and sports quite a bit.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211839' date='Dec 15 2005, 08:10 PM
Audiophile guality with CD/L7?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 2006 Jet Black w/tan leather. Premium package; Sport Package; Sat Radio

I disagree that the sound quality is bad. I listen to totally 70 hits and it is great! I am very happy I got it included with my car. To each his own!!!!!

Old 12-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

Since I don't have my car yet (though it should haved docked in Baltimore today!), I can't give you an opinion on Sirius.

But I do have XM---I use the portable XM2Go and use it in my office during the day and in my car when I'm on the road...and I absolutely love it! I can't imagine not having satellite radio.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='211875' date='Dec 15 2005, 10:05 PM
Since I don't have my car yet (though it should haved docked in Baltimore today!), I can't give you an opinion on Sirius.

But I do have XM---I use the portable XM2Go and use it in my office during the day and in my car when I'm on the road...and I absolutely love it! I can't imagine not having satellite radio.
Where in NC are you and do you have dropped signal. I expect that XM and Sirius are pretty close in this regard and I couldn't stand it?

As far as sound quality goes - everyone is different. I am above average in what I expect but far from audiophile. I think L7 sounds great but the bass can be a little boomy. I don't mind the L7 modes even though it isn't "pure". I can enjoy Sirius music but I notice the difference from CD (converted from MP3). I actually thought that one song was a different version because I didn't like it as much from Sirius but it was just more harsh (Evanescence). It is really hard to reviews about satellite quality without judging for yourself on your own system. We should all preface reviews by the quality of our ears. I for one can very rarely notice the downside of MP3 compression - but I can definitely notice Sirius compression.

And just to clarify, I didn't renew Sirius d/t dropped signal. The quality was dissappointing but definitely liveable. As to whomever said something about not checking reviews - when I ordered my car, there was probably 1 Sirius car with L7 on the board (if that). I actually didn't notice the quality being bad right away because I was so happy with the L7.

Everyone has different ears and all the reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. My father hates MP3 compression but was fairly impressed with L7 (for a stock system).

Quick Reply: My 3 months with Sirius installed...