E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 3 months with Sirius installed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='211584' date='Dec 15 2005, 10:21 AM
Didn't realize the music sound quality was that bad.
It's not...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Is XM any better?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

In California I cover some long distances in the middle of nowhere. I enjoy having Sirius and the different listening options. I get all the NFL games, Raw Dog can be funny, news, weather and tons of music. I am satisfied and will continue to subscribe.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Gosh, I like SIRIUS and think that the quality is fine--at least close to CD. But, I have heard others, from areas other than mine, complain about the quality. I don't listen the to stations you do so I don't get commercials--well maybe some kind of very infrequent SIRIUS promos. They are so infrequent I never really notice them. If something comes on I don't like, well, I have 11 other presets in quick proximity.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I just want to chime in here:

Sirius (and XM) are *not that freaking bad*.

I mean, it's not like a normal person would be listening to this and go, "OH MY GOD, THIS SOUNDS HORRIBLE, PLEASE KILL ME NOW!"

To most ordinary people, Sirius music channels sound just as good as any other music format they might listen to. Some music types (e.g., classical, acoustic guitar) will suffer more from compression than others (hip hop, rock).

Also, a system as good as Logic7 really does reveal all of the imperfections in music. But the point is, to anyone who hasn't heard satellite radio, it's not as bad as some people make it sound. In fact, I think it sounds wonderful, and in the last two years I've had satellite radio, I haven't touched FM radio or inserted a CD. (An iPod holds my own music, but that's the only thing other than satellite that I use.)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Members

I think this is a bit harsh--anyone who opted for satellite without knowing about the signal quality simply didn't do the necessary research. Likewise, neither XM or Sirius make any claims about commercial free programing other than with the music channels. Finally, if you're really interested in hi fidelity, the premium sound system available in the E60 doesn't cut it. The sound is good--pretty good for factory--but it doesn't come close to what is possible.

I think the programing on Sirius is outstanding. The blues and jazz channels both have staff who know what's up. NFL coverage is over the top.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by das' post='211629' date='Dec 15 2005, 09:33 AM
I just want to chime in here:

Sirius (and XM) are *not that freaking bad*.

I mean, it's not like a normal person would be listening to this and go, "OH MY GOD, THIS SOUNDS HORRIBLE, PLEASE KILL ME NOW!"

To most ordinary people, Sirius music channels sound just as good as any other music format they might listen to. Some music types (e.g., classical, acoustic guitar) will suffer more from compression than others (hip hop, rock).

Also, a system as good as Logic7 really does reveal all of the imperfections in music. But the point is, to anyone who hasn't heard satellite radio, it's not as bad as some people make it sound. In fact, I think it sounds wonderful, and in the last two years I've had satellite radio, I haven't touched FM radio or inserted a CD. (An iPod holds my own music, but that's the only thing other than satellite that I use.)
I agree, I've had XM and my wife's car has Sirius so I've spent time with both. Some channels are compressed, but in the main they are the talk channels. The available bandwidth is focused on the music channels, most of which sound pretty good to me. Plus they have BBC Radio 1 on Sirius (that day's UK show timeshifted to the US so we get the UK morning show in the morning here) which as an expat works well for me!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I used to get XM radio on my wife's MDX and thought the sound quality was bad so I didn't renew the subscription after the initial free 3 months. I think some channels were more compressed than others and the ones I listened to were the ones that were.

The MDX now has an iPod as music source.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Perhaps Rodney should have read other people' posts here before spending is $$. I got my sirius for CONTENT not quality. Sirius and XM's sound quality is similiar. Neither is great but it's good enough for NHL, NBA and NFL broadcasts. Do i really need hi-fi quality to listen to Fox News or NHL games? Not really.

The commercials on Non-Music Channels are annoying but that's not what they sell. Their primary service is music with no commercials and they delliver that (both Sirius and XM). Comedy Channels, Talk Radio and sports programming is just like cable TV.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jack Jones' post='211631' date='Dec 15 2005, 12:36 PM
I think this is a bit harsh--anyone who opted for satellite without knowing about the signal quality simply didn't do the necessary research. Likewise, neither XM or Sirius make any claims about commercial free programing other than with the music channels. Finally, if you're really interested in hi fidelity, the premium sound system available in the E60 doesn't cut it. The sound is good--pretty good for factory--but it doesn't come close to what is possible.

I think the programing on Sirius is outstanding. The blues and jazz channels both have staff who know what's up. NFL coverage is over the top.
I like two of the Jazz stations, the new-age station, one of the electonic-music stations, the new dance station, the 80's station, the 90's station (Bridge, I think), the Coffee-House station and two of the classic rock stations especially well. I have two stations set to keep up with what's new, but I don't listen to them much so I don't remember what they are (Hits may be one).

Quick Reply: My 3 months with Sirius installed...