E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Multiple Camshaft Errors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Default Multiple Camshaft Errors

I have a 2008 BMW 550i with about 14k miles on it.

After a very cold evening in which my car was outside, a hotel valet could not get my car started I was finally able to get it started after a few minutes but the rpm's we're fluctuating wildly before settling in at the normal 1k then dropping to about 700. I valet parked my car again and this time when the car came back, the SES light was on. I made it home and went out to start the car the next morning I again experienced rpm fluctuation on start up and again it settled in at 1k before dropping to 700. This time the check battery terminal connection popped up on the screen.

I brought the car into my indie and he said the battery was shot. battery was replaced but not registered. I have seen many differing opinions on this. I went to pick up the car and upon starting it, I received the check battery terminal connection error again. My mechanic thought this could be because the battery was not fully charged. He suggested I drive it a few days and see if it went off. He also told me he cleared two camshaft errors which I understand can be caused by a weak battery.

P0019. Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank2 sensor B

P0024 Exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced bank2

He cleared the codes and the car ran fine for a few days then the check battery error came back. Yesterday I went out to run some errands and the car started fine on initial startup. After my first stop the car started rough with rpm fluctuation as described above. I got home and attempted to start the car and it wouldn't start and the SES light came on. In addition to the error codes listed above, I got the following on idrive:

Check Battery Terminal Connection
Engine Malfunction Reduced Power
DBC Malfunction
Drive Control System
Start-Off Assistance Inactive

The following error codes from OBDII (All related to Camshaft Position, Camshaft Timing Over Advanced, Camshaft Sensors etc....)
P0014
P0016
P0017
P0019
P0023
P0024
P0345
P0390

I went out this morning and the car started right up. The idrive errors were cleared although the car does seem to be idling a bit rough. Any thoughts? Perhaps registering the battery? Does the dealer have to do this? Car runs fine once it is started and the rpm's settle in at about 700. Electrical gremlins at work? Thanks in advance for your help.