E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MPM, CCC or Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Greetings:

I have read through many posts that appear to have the same or similar issue that I have. After parking my car for an hour, the idrive screen began behaving erratically. It took FOREVER to boot up, then got stuck on BMW screen, and finally rebooted and just went dead by the time my 6 mile drive home was over. It has never come back even after sitting for a weekend. Like others, I have no idrive, pdc, voice commands, Nav, bluetooth or radio. Some observations:

-The eject, eject, volume button trick does not reset idrive
-I am unable to get the NAV dvd out, which makes a very loud noise as I am driving
-Vehicle otherwise behaves as normal
-I have a 2006 530i which I took delivery of in May 2005

After exhaustive reading, I started by checking the fuses (all good) and the MPM. There appears to be no water intrusion whatsoever in the spare tire area. If I disconnect the MPM, the vehicle behaves the same as with it connected. The MPM itself looks as new...certainly not fried like some of the pics I have seen.

I am between jobs, and so do not want to just throw $ at a part I may not be able to return (the MPM) if that is not the issue. Some people have just replaced the MPM, some had to have a new CCC installed, and still others replaced the battery to solve the issue. I have also read that disconnecting the battery, touching the terminals together, reconnecting and waiting 10 minutes worked.

So I guess my question is, is there a way to test the MPM to eliminate that possibility first?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

easiest and quickest way would be to get an MPM out of someone else's car and try. Might as well do that for the battery as well just to eliminate potentials, but in all honesty, from the sound of your symptoms, I'd say your CCC is fooked.

Use the secret obc, menu number 9 to check that you're not getting an over voltage which may have fried the electronics. [google "scoopz m5 secret obc"]

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
easiest and quickest way would be to get an MPM out of someone else's car and try. Might as well do that for the battery as well just to eliminate potentials, but in all honesty, from the sound of your symptoms, I'd say your CCC is fooked.

Use the secret obc, menu number 9 to check that you're not getting an over voltage which may have fried the electronics. [google "scoopz m5 secret obc"]

Good luck.

Thanks Sanjsanj. I actually thought of the possibility of swapping in someone elses's MPM, but don't know anyone else (personally) who is local that has my same vehicle. I guess there is a friend of a friend...I'll investigate that option first. Never hurts to ask!

Even though it's not what I WANTED to hear, I tend to agree with you about the CCC. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Members

Voltage reading on secret menu #9 was fluctuating between 11.8 and 11.9. I found someone willing to let me swap out my MPM for his, and I guess I'll also pull the whole unit to check the fuse on the CCC itself.

Speaking of which...am I right in that a CCC is actually the whole CD/DVD component, or does the CCC detatch from the CD and DVD?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

sorry, I meant while the car is running! it should be around 14.5V.

If you look around the retrofit threads, you'll probably see some pictures with tear-downs of other people's CCC's.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Members

Ahhh...oops! I'll try that again. I'm assuming I should put the radio fuse back in when I check too? I pulled it to get rid of the annoying noise from the cd/dvd unit...not sure which one was making the noise.

thanks again...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The CCC is the entire unit, everything below the climate controls all the way down to the ashtray
Based on what you're saying, yes, your CCC unit is FUBAR'ed - sorry, been there done that
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Members

sanjsanj - how do you access secret menu #9 when the car is running? I can only access it when the key is turned, but engine is not yet started.

Anyway, I pulled the CCC thanks to the youtube video. fairly straight forward, but thankfully I realized I have seat heaters and had more plugs to disconnect. By the way, maybe I'm an idiot, but some of those plugs were IMPOSSIBLE to get off. Probably should have figured out how to do that first. Oh well.

Unfortunately, hidden fuse on the back of the CCC was fine. I'm going to hook up a charger tonight and see what it draws, and then hopefully swapping out a friends MPM tomorrow so I can finally give up and start searching for a used or re-manufactured CCC.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

the same way! you should be able to do it engine running or not.

do this: unlock and get the menu to number 9. THEN start the engine- after the car symbol goes away, you should see it return to the secret menu. Only thing that comes to mind is maybe you entered the wrong unlock code the second time you tried.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Members

Isn't possilble to measure via a multimeter?
Actualy unfortunetly i belive that the ccc has broken down.

Quick Reply: MPM, CCC or Battery?