E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 Skipping tracks... Did anyone encounter ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

I just burnt an MP3 CD to try in my new 550i, I've burnt it at 32X speed using a FUJIFILM 700MB CD, about 10 directories and mixed kb rates (128 kbps - 256 kbps), besides the fact that the loading is slow (but we all used to it in our E60's), the tracks are skipping in the middle of the song, it could happen after 10 sec. and it could happen after 2 min., but most of the tracks just skip.

Any suggestions ?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

it happens to me with nero sometimes... burn it at a slower speed
Old 04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

What type of CD media are you are using ?
I think I recall Lomaq saying that using CD-RW can cause this sometimes.
Try CD-R
Old 04-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

I burn regular audio CD's on CD-R & CD-RW discs, and the tracks skip as well. Just like Gadgets described, it can happen anytime. More often than not, it happens multiple times during a single track. I know it isn't related to vibrations, because it happens when I'm cleaning/vacuuming the car.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Does it happen in the same place on a track each time?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

it happens to me too..i have definetly noticed that it does skip at the same points...but im not 100% sure this is the situation all the time....happens even on new burned cds that dont have a single scratch on them...and its not to do with the vibrations cause it happens when im stoped.....i have always used sony and this is the only car that the cds have skiped....i hve just bought samsung...but i have not used them long enough to make a proper judgement,,,
Old 04-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Burnt CD's and DVD's often will act differently when played back on other players. It's quite likely that the player in the car is having difficulty reading a specific area (or areas) of the burnt disc. Often that area has a small imperfection (maybe due to a minor hiccup on the PC while burning) that some players can deal with and some players can't.

Usually, it's a good idea to burn a disc at the slowest possible setting to make it more compatible with other players but sometimes that also causes errors so you often have to experiment to find the best combination of settings...
Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='273296' date='Apr 24 2006, 08:21 AM
Does it happen in the same place on a track each time?

Nope, it's random. and yes - i'm usind CD-R not CD-R/W.

I did burn it with Nero, maybe I should try s different software and a different media... but I see i'm not the only one...
Old 04-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Members

I had this probelm, and I found that if I burnt my CDs at 4X speed (yes, i know it takes ages) I had no problems.

Incidentally, I found a free tool called BurnatOnce which i by far the easiest tool to use, and allows you to construct file directories with fullnames, and allows songs to be named using huge number of characters.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Members

i was told by my dealer a few weeks ago (wen i had the cip upgrade/retro mp3) that the drives cant read mp3 tracks coded any higher than 192kbps. check which tracks are skippin and indeed if they are the higher rate tracks...

Quick Reply: MP3 Skipping tracks... Did anyone encounter ?