E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 Player Sync Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 528i and am trying to load my Sandisk MP3 player with no luck so far.(Using the USB port)

The car system recognizes the Sandisk player by name in the display and it says that "data is being downloaded".
However it never finishes the download and I am unable to pull up any of the playlists.

What am I doing wrong. Help would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Does it have NAV? Do you hava a Dension 500 or the BMW ipod hook up? The more info the better chances of finding out what the problem is.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Could also be that the device has player software that delivers the tunes? The car system is strictly looking for music files. Try loading a couple of MP3s on a thumb drive and see if the tunes will play.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I don't think you can just copy a bunch of MP3 files to a USB drive and have it recognized by iDrive.

An MP3 disk has to have a specific directory tree structure in order to be read as such. Otherwise its just an ordinary data disk.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pukka
I don't think you can just copy a bunch of MP3 files to a USB drive and have it recognized by iDrive.

An MP3 disk has to have a specific directory tree structure in order to be read as such. Otherwise its just an ordinary data disk.
Nah, an MP3 disk is no more than a data disk with a bunch of files. No different, really, than a thumb drive. MP3 is just another data file format (that happens to be encoded with music information). I read on another thread that the disk has to be formatted for FAT vs. NTFS, but other than that the file structures are the same for both (the CD and thumb drive).

I just questioned whether the OP's Sandisk MP3 player might have an application program that is interfering with the system being able to read the files.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jayarras
Nah, an MP3 disk is no more than a data disk with a bunch of files. No different, really, than a thumb drive. MP3 is just another data file format (that happens to be encoded with music information). I read on another thread that the disk has to be formatted for FAT vs. NTFS, but other than that the file structures are the same for both (the CD and thumb drive).
To a PC perhaps, but not to an MP3 Player

If you have ever used Roxio, Nero, or any other type of CD burning software, creating a data CD and creating an Audio CD are two separate choices. An MP3 CD is somewhat like an Audio CD and creates specific folders during the burn process in order for it to be read by an MP3 Player.

I know for a fact if I burned mp3's as a data CD and put it in my CD slot it will not be recognized by iDrive. I have to create and MP3 CD in order for it to work. I think this could be the OP's problem but I don't use USB disks to play music so I can't be sure.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pukka
I know for a fact if I burned mp3's as a data CD and put it in my CD slot it will not be recognized by iDrive.
I don't have that problem. I have several data CDs with a bunch of of MP3 files that I keep in the car. I originally burned them to listen to at work on my PC. Now I just insert them into the dash unit and the iDrive recognizes them and displays the ID3 tag information on the display. I do have the head unit programmed to recognize MP3s however...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: Mine: 2005 545i Sport Pkg, Black Saphire/Black, Nav, Chrome Wheels ---------- Wife's: 2007 335i Sport/Prem Pkg, White/Auburn, Nav

Man, I wish my 05 545i had an MP3 player option!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Members

Thanks for all the input so far.

I do have NAV and the USB port from the factory. I loaded a couple MP3's onto a thumb drive and they played just fine.

Could it be that it just takes a long time for the data to load onto the car system? I have a lot of songs on the Sandisk player.

Jim
Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by J_Sawyer1
Could it be that it just takes a long time for the data to load onto the car system? I have a lot of songs on the Sandisk player.

Jim
Since you say a thumb drive works, I guess the only way to find out for sure is to hook the Sandisk up, go do something else (or even better, take a long road trip ) and see if it eventually loads. If not, you still have the other two options (changer and thumb drive). Good luck!

Quick Reply: MP3 Player Sync Issues