E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

mp3 playback with 16.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='May 5 2005, 07:12 PM
is radio prof sufficient for mp3 playback if the car has no navi at all? iceman please one last time
[snapback]124476[/snapback]
Radio pro is required for MP3 playback. If you have it, you'll have MP3 playback.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='May 5 2005, 07:16 PM
You dont have rasio prof if you have no nav at all
[snapback]124481[/snapback]
That's right if you're in the US.

He is in Europe and wants to order an E60.
Over here he can order it with radio pro, adn without nav. Then he will get MP3 playback!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Auto Trans, Moonroof, Xenon adaptive headlights

I was updated to 16.2 a couple of weeks ago in Indiana. No MP3 (no surprise) and no CD text (no surprise), but dealer claims I have Bluetooth. Unfortunately I have a Blackberry 7290, which is not on the compatible phone list the dealer gave me, and the Blackberry could not find a Bluetooth device when I tried it in the car. My wife's cell phone contract is up in a couple of weeks -- I'm going to switch her from Verizon to Cingular and get one of the Bluetooth phones on the compatible list.

Finally, while it's probably just my imagination, it seems like the drivetrain, with which I have had very minimal issues with hesitation, has improved and is really a blast in sport mode after the update. Best of all, everything worked OK when I had 13.2, and everything still works with 16.2 -- always a little nervous about the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

Okay, here's the questions -- 1.) does anyone know if the Blackberry and BMW Bluetooth platforms are going to be incompatible forever, or if not, what is most likely to happen -- can BMW further update software to recognize the Blackberry platform, or can Blackberry update software to be compatible with BMW? -- or, is it just an "ain't never gonna happen" situation?

2.) To the extent that I have a business, non-nav, non-MP3 radio, will the September (or thereabouts) software update give me MP3 capability with the business radio, or, as my dealer says, am I destined to never ever have MP3 capability? Interestingly, the 325 loaner they gave me had a clearly-labeled business radio and it played my MP3 disc just fine (yes, I know the difference between .wav and .mp3 files on a CD -- and, the MP3 CD that played in the 325 still would not play in my 530 after the update).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Youll never get MP3, atleast not for a while.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB' date='May 6 2005, 03:04 AM
I was updated to 16.2 a couple of weeks ago in Indiana.
[snapback]124658[/snapback]
Uh, oh... hhmmm... You or your car?

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB' date='May 6 2005, 03:04 AM
2.)? To the extent that I have a business, non-nav, non-MP3 radio, will the September (or thereabouts) software update give me MP3 capability with the business radio, or, as my dealer says, am I destined to never ever have MP3 capability?
No!
Radio Pro is required for MP3 playback on an E60!
With standard radio (business) it will not work! Not even in September...
Old 05-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

At the risk of slothing this to death, just want to add. The reason that business radio won't do mp3 playback is mainly because the dash mounted CD is not a CDROM, but just a regular CD player.

In the case of Professional Radio, the dash mount is a CDROM drive, able to read both CDROM data and music CDs. I got this info directly from BMW Asia.

Just wondering if some 3rd party might sell a drop-in CDROM replacement for the in dash CD player for those with business radio to enable MP3 playback.

Since mp3 playback is probably handled by the MASK, which should be identical in both business and pro radios, this should be possible. Only thing is if the CIP works in such a way that the mp3 playback code is not loaded during s/w update if the computer detects that a Pro radio is not present even if the in dash is a CDROM. I bet mp3 playback will be possible with business radio, but will involve an indash CDROM swap and a software hack. Probably by that time, an IPOD module will be offered to us via retrofit.

These days, how much can a CDROM drive cost? but if you spec Professional radio with BMW, they'll charge an arm and a leg!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BILLYBOB' date='May 5 2005, 08:04 PM
Okay, here's the questions -- 1.) does anyone know if the Blackberry and BMW Bluetooth platforms are going to be incompatible forever, or if not, what is most likely to happen -- can BMW further update software to recognize the Blackberry platform, or can Blackberry update software to be compatible with BMW? -- or, is it just an "ain't never gonna happen" situation?
Never say never but I would not hold my breath. Most likely if Rim and BMW do get it together it will be on a future model where they each will start from scratch.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eggz' date='May 6 2005, 03:48 AM
At the risk of slothing this to death, just want to add. The reason that business radio won't do mp3 playback is mainly because the dash mounted CD is not a CDROM, but just a regular CD player.
[snapback]124675[/snapback]
Yep.

In the case of Professional Radio, the dash mount is a CDROM drive, able to read both CDROM data and music CDs. I got this info directly from BMW Asia.
Yep, again.

Since mp3 playback is probably handled by the MASK, which should be identical in both business and pro radios, this should be possible.
Final Yep.

So, who wants to try it?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='May 1 2005, 08:27 AM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='May 1 2005, 12:45 AM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Apr 30 2005, 02:52 PM']It only works if you have the radio professional!
[snapback]122319[/snapback]
Don't you mean will only work with Business radio and not professional?
[snapback]122333[/snapback]
[/quote]
NOPE!

Radio Professional is REQUIRED for MP3 playback!
Radio Business is unable to play/decode MP3 files.

Navigation Business and Navigation Professional both have Radio Professional!
On Navigation Business you can enable the MP3 playback by getting the newest software, CIP 16.1 or 16.2 or higher (if available).
On Navigation Professional you will be able to do so in September when the software update is available.

The standard radio on an E60 is Business! This can not support MP3 files!

If you have Logic7 or HiFi soundsystem it DOES NOT automatically mean you have radio Professional.

In the US you ONLY have radio Professional if you have nav. In this case you have Navigation Professional and have to wait for the software update that will be released in September (hopefully).
[snapback]122466[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the great explanation. Now I finally know what I have since I'm the 2nd owner with not all the original paperwork.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

I've got no navi, but my logic 7 plays MP3. There is only cd text on MP3. Normal CDs play w/out any cd text showing. Really don't know how to distinguish between business and pro but I'm just glad that it does play MP3 - not that its a great feature as the sound reproduction is supposedly not too good

Quick Reply: mp3 playback with 16.2