E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Motion Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Do you check the motion sensor by lowering the windows,setting the alarm and then passing your arm through the open window?If so my alarm doesn't go off.What could be wrong? Software again? TIA
vern
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Probably that there actually is no motion sensor at all..... that would be my guess.

Sue BMW for false advertising.

Just like the so-called "coded key" phenominon. My Lexus had a "coded key" that was supposed to make it impossible to start the car without the key. But my car got stolen in Atlanta without a key... so I guess I could call bullshit.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:55 PM
Probably that there actually is no motion sensor at all.....? that would be my guess.
There is definitely a motion sensor
vern

Sue BMW for false advertising.

Just like the so-called "coded key" phenominon.? My Lexus had a "coded key" that was supposed to make it impossible to start the car without the key.? But my car got stolen in Atlanta without a key...? so I guess I could call bullshit.?
[snapback]116822[/snapback]
Old 04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Or it might be that the motion sensor is disabled when the windows are open? I know that on the E39, if you press the lock button on the remote twice, the motion sensor was disabled (in case you left a child or dog in the car??? )
Old 04-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

You have to REALLY move your hands around inside the cabin to make it go off. I think it is that thing in the upper right hand corner of you windshield. Waste of money if you ask me. Someone could reach in and steal the contents of your glovebox or anything sitting on your seats (if you're windows are open) and be gone before the alarm goes off......
Old 04-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The sensor is mounted in the headliner just behind the sunroof (the rear map lights are part of the sensor assembly).

It will go off if you wave your arms enough -- I don't think the system is designed to protect the contents of the car if you park it with the windows open though...

subterFUSE, maybe you don't know the answer to this but did they steal your Lexus by starting the engine or did they just lift it up and take it?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I did the test. The alarm went off as soon as I inserted my hand in the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

subterFUSE, maybe you don't know the answer to this but did they steal your Lexus by starting the engine or did they just lift it up and take it?

Car was driven. Police tried to pull the guy over because he tore ass out of the hotel parkinglot, and he led them on a high-speed chase through downtown Atlanta. He eventually crashed into a parking garage, and ran away on foot. He got away, because the cop chasing him was a typical fat, Georgian, tub-of-lard cop.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 18 2005, 11:28 PM
You have to REALLY move your hands around inside the cabin to make it go off.? I think it is that thing in the upper right hand corner of you windshield.? Waste of money if you ask me.? Someone could reach in and steal the contents of your glovebox or anything sitting on your seats (if you're windows are open) and be gone before the alarm goes off......
[snapback]116840[/snapback]
If you leave the windows open, why would you need an alarm?
The alarm WILL immediately go off, if the windows are broken, because that makes a different sound and motion!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 18 2005, 11:41 PM
The sensor is mounted in the headliner just behind the sunroof (the rear map lights are part of the sensor assembly).

It will go off if you wave your arms enough -- I don't think the system is designed to protect the contents of the car if you park it with the windows open though...
[snapback]116851[/snapback]
Yep.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

One more thing...I think on the E39 there was a delay before the interior motion sensor became active. If that's true with the E60, then you need to test it by locking the car and waiting a minute or two. After that, stick your hand in the window and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Motion Sensor