E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MOST failure BMW 530 2004 M-Ask system

Old 02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e60 530d
Default MOST failure BMW 530 2004 M-Ask system

Just out of the blue i started experience trouble in the MOST loop on my M-ask system.
Typical errors like:
no sound from door chime
no sound from key indicator
no radio sound (but I drive is working)
no navigation voice
no seat belt warning chime

I'm also not allowed to do any changes in the setup of treble, bass, balance of speakers..

Radio channels are searching as normal and I do not have any SOS fault

The MOST structure in my car is as follow:
IDrive screen unit
Audio CD changer
Antenna amplifier tuner
Logic 7 amplifier
Telephone/bluethooth TCU unit
M-Ask audio system controller
MOST diagnostic plug
Instrument cluster and once again back to the IDrive screen

I've bought a fiberoptic loop for diagnostic.

Detached fiberoptic from Logic 7 amplifier, red light in cable,
The red light in the fiberoptic cable in TCU (bluetooth unit) stopped as it should when detaching cable from Logic 7.
Attached fiberoptic loop cable to Logic 7 cable, light also came back on TCU fiberoptic cable. turned on radio still no sound.

Attached the fiberoptic back to Logic 7 amp and detached fiberoptic from TCU and repeated prosess. Still no sound on radio and now the SOS fault came on aswell.

Checked the fiberoptic diagnostic plug in the glove box, cable emitted red light as normal.

Did not check the cd changer but since its before the Amp and TCU in the chain it cant be the problem since AMP is emitting fiberoptic light.

The M-Ask unit is impossible to test since it give power to the IDrive screen that is first in the loop. But quickly removing power/optic cable from M-Ask unit i saw a red light from the fiberoptic before it went dark.

I'm at a loss here, to me the result from the diagnostic seems normal or am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:08 AM
New Members

I'm starting to think its just a stupid bug in the system and no fault with any of the units.
I have opened up the Logic 7 Amp and Bluetooth TCU and can't see anything out of the ordinary. The fiber optic signal goes all the way through the loop. No water ingress in the trunk.
My M-Ask unit asks for the navigation dvd. I insert the DVD and navigation boots up and starts calculating the route, GPS coordinates comes up aswell. But ofcourse no voice sound.
The FM stations keeps updating as I drive. The only thing is that whatever setting I choose in Entertainment menu (radio station, AM, Aux) the setting always jump back to FM.
Then I found this post on the forum from another E60 owner. https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...ix-e60-136118/
He's had the exact same problem as me with no sound and setting jumping back to FM. His fix as seen in the post was to pull the ignition/starter fuses and unplug the battery after he had turned on the ignition and headlamps. It doesn't say if he had the ignition on when he unplugged the battery. When i did this yesterday i turned off the ignition before unplug of the battery since i didn\t want to cause any spike in the electrical system. Anyway it didn't work for me,the way I did it. Then there is a video on youtube
from someone with an E60 M5 that also have the no sound problem, that more or less did the same fix. But he found the fix on a E39 M5 forum that didn't even have Idrive and he also fixed his system.
He turned on ignition and headlamps.
Pulled a different set of fuses that he could not remember,but he said it was for the radio and maybe fuse 8 and 38.
Then unplugged the negative battery pole for 5 minutes
Reconnected battery
Insert the fuses
Turned it on and had the sound back.
He neither say anything about turning the ignition off before pulling the battery.

I have not tried the youtube fix yet, I need to see what fuses he could have pulled in the M5 that match with a standard E60 model.

What do u say guys, any inputs?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 AM
New Members

Now i even found this post on the m5board forum Very happy - fixed my DSP problem! - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
There are multiple people that fixed their e39 by putting on headlamps and unplugging the battery, but a slightly different version.
(1) Insert key but do not turn on ignition
(2) Turn on headlights (don't ask but it works!)
(3) Disconnect battery
(4) Remove fuses no. x and no. x from holder in glovebox
(5) Wait 5 minutes
(6) Reconnect battery & plug fuses back in

Here they say do not turn on the ignition but headlights needs to be on.