E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Most expensive tire change ever!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I just got back from New Orleans, which is now the flat tire capital of the US. With the debris being hauled out of the city the roads are a tire dealer's dream. After our flat, as you will read below, as we headed back to the hotel we noticed no less than 5 or 6 cars left on the side of the road with either flat tires or jacked up with a wheel missing, obviously having had a flat. While at the dealer there was another BMW owner getting a flat fixed, her 6th since hurricane Katrina. At the restaurant that night, the owner told us that he has had 4 flats since the hurricane. Be careful if you go to New Orleans!

Two of us were there for one night attending a seminar. We ventured out to look at some land for a development and hit something in the road that caused the rear side sunshade to shudder to the point that I looked back there to see what was going on. Seconds later the flat tire monitor came on. Pulled over to have a look and there was a big gash in the side edge of the tire. The run flat worked great though as I was able to drive back to the hotel to finish the seminar, of which I was to make a presentation. I did not want to make the 300 mile trip home at night on the flat run flat and the donut tire was out of the question, so I called a bridgestone dealer who advised that according to their computer there was not a 275 35 18 tire anywhere near New Orleans. So I contacted the local BMW dealer and had them order one to be delivered the next day. We were supposed to leave after the seminar, but had to stay over another night to get the tire.

Here is the tally.
2 rooms for one more night including parking $500. Dinner at the Palace Cafe, $180. Okay, dinner and cocktails. Losses at Harrah's which could have been a lot worse. Including taxes the dealer charged me $575 for the tire. :'( The tire was $466 and mounting was something like $54. What a rip off. I just checked tire rack and the same tire is no cheapie at $326.

I like the runflat as it did its job. I did not get stranded on the side of the road having to change the tire in coat and tie, which was a big plus. But, the lack of a full size spare is bull@#$%. The tires on this car are too rare to be able to readily find one. I am thinking of buying a new wheel and mounting a tire on it to carry around with me next time I go to New Orleans or on a long trip.

Has anyone gotten rid of the donut tire and replaced it with a full size tire. Will it fit in the spare tire well? The manual says the run flat is good for 155 miles. I am sure there is some tolerance here for more, but has anyone pushed one much farther than that, with a gash, not just a puncture?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow. now thats expensive. you could have almost bought all 4 of my RFT tires + wheels for that one runflat tire replacement the dealer charged you.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

4 runflat tires and wheels for $575?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='251929' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:28 PM
4 runflat tires and wheels for $575?
Almost... I said almost...
Old 03-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

See: despite their drawbacks, the runflats are precious in the event of a real incident like this.

I think my tires, especially the summer setup, are just so wide that it would not "fit" neatly in the trunk. I think if you want to do it, you just need to admit it will take up a big chunk of room in the trunk, plus fasten it well.

It sounds like you have the sport setup. Would you carry a rear tire or a front tire? I would guess front, the 245s. I guess having a 245 on the rear, unbalancing the 275 on the other wheel, would be ok for short distances.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Members

I have 4-18" runflats tires just sitting in my garage (off my 545 - sport tires). If you want them I will sell them for super cheap, PM me if you want them. OOO They have about 1000 miles on them. I have been meaning to put them up on eBay, but I have not had time.

Let me know
Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' post='252295' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:15 PM
I have 4-18" runflats tires just sitting in my garage (off my 545 - sport tires). If you want them I will sell them for super cheap, PM me if you want them. OOO They have about 1000 miles on them. I have been meaning to put them up on eBay, but I have not had time.

Let me know

Me too, I will give away 4 245/40 18" Dunlop RF tires with 5 mm of theard left.

Available in May/June this year overhere
Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Sorry to hear all this grief, but I can't say that I am suprised by any facet of it--from the disaster area debris, right through the dealer "experience." I am pleased to hear that you made the best of your extra night in town, though. Sounds as though the hardship was taken in stride.

How many miles left on your thumpflats? Just think, you could get them replaced for free, probably by 15k....

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Has anyone thought about buying the TIRE and WHEEL warranty? Really great, costs about $300 to $500 for FIVE years, and UNILMITED miles. Buy it from BMW dealership, it is thirdparty, but if you have a flat, and even bend your RIM. Get it towed to the BMW dealership. They will change it, and recover the cost from the WARRANTY.

I would recommend to EVERYONE to get it.

My buddy, whom I took with me three weeks ago to get his wife the 325i with Sport Package, was not really serious about getting the warranty. I pushed him, and his wife got on my side, so he ended up buying it. He hated me at the dealership, but in three days, calls me back. HIS WIFE went over a pot hole, BENT THE RIM, and destroyed the TIRE. Got it replaced for FREE.

So, definitely worth it !!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by tab545' post='252278' date='Mar 9 2006, 03:06 PM
See: despite their drawbacks, the runflats are precious in the event of a real incident like this.

I think my tires, especially the summer setup, are just so wide that it would not "fit" neatly in the trunk. I think if you want to do it, you just need to admit it will take up a big chunk of room in the trunk, plus fasten it well.

It sounds like you have the sport setup. Would you carry a rear tire or a front tire? I would guess front, the 245s. I guess having a 245 on the rear, unbalancing the 275 on the other wheel, would be ok for short distances.
I will get a front tire setup. My 540 had the staggered setup, but came with a full size front wheel/tire spare. It was not even noticable when mounted on the rear when I had to use it. I would have driven the 300 mile trip with this setup.

Quick Reply: Most expensive tire change ever!