E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

More info on USB in the LCI

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='402777' date='Mar 14 2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for this.

Some contentious statements in the pdf...
and it also looks like we dont get the iPOD Y cable
I thought I read somewhere that all cables were included with 6FL. I'll look for it. Anyone else have that recollection?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='402971' date='Mar 15 2007, 03:58 AM
I suspect cable will be supplied as standard in some markets - such as the US, but not in others such as Uk and Ireland. I plan to use an 8Gb USB stick which should keep me occupied for a while.
At least in the US, the cable connector is included. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...l=brochure+2008
Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Members

Just send a message to BMW UK and received this (worrying) reply:

Dear Mr Verzijl

Thank you for your email to BMW Customer Information.

We can confirm that the connection to the iPod you refer to is still undergoing testing here for the UK market. The document you attached in your initial email originated from BMW USA and therefore is fore a different market.

Having spoken to the Product Marketing team here in the UK, we have been advised that the connector for the iPod will be available separately as an After Sales accessory priced at approximately ?30. Please be aware that this price has not been confirmed as yet. The iPod connection kit is not supplied as standard with the vehicle as the USB port will also accept other MP3 players and as such BMW UK do not want to set a precedence with a specific audio player.

Please register your interest for this part with the Parts Department, who, once the part has been released for the UK market will further be able to confirm its price and availability.

We hope this information is of use. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Simon Wilding
Product Information Coordinator
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: 0800 325600
Fax: 0870 5050 206
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 15 March 2007 11:04
To: BMW Customer Information
Subject: BMW 5 series

Hi,

I have ordered a BMW 5 series and I have added the option 6FL which put a USB socket in the central armrest of the car.

In order to connect my Ipod I need a specific cable which according to the attached PDF file should be supplied by BMW with the Car. However it would appear that the dealer(s) are not aware of this and they even stating that the cable needs to be obtained from Apple whilst the image clearly makes it a BMW accessory.

Can you please clarify:
Will the cable be supplied with the car if you have ordered option 6FL?
If the cable need to be purchased, where can it be purchased from? (as the dealers appear to be unaware)
Look forward to your reply

Kind regards,
Vincent Verzijl
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='402777' date='Mar 14 2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for this.

Some contentious statements in the pdf...
How is it contentious? Accurate maybe, but not contentious.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Members

Some of us thought we would be getting more that what is now proposed, cables, flexibility etc. Our fault at the end of the day for ordering an option "on spec" without any hard data.

When I checked with my dealer, prior to purchase, he said that oh yes, USB Stick, disk drive, mp3 player - all that will work.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by vinver' post='403036' date='Mar 15 2007, 02:20 PM
Just send a message to BMW UK and received this (worrying) reply:
Dear Mr Verzijl

Thank you for your email to BMW Customer Information.

We can confirm that the connection to the iPod you refer to is still undergoing testing here for the UK market. The document you attached in your initial email originated from BMW USA and therefore is fore a different market.

Having spoken to the Product Marketing team here in the UK, we have been advised that the connector for the iPod will be available separately as an After Sales accessory priced at approximately ?30. Please be aware that this price has not been confirmed as yet. The iPod connection kit is not supplied as standard with the vehicle as the USB port will also accept other MP3 players and as such BMW UK do not want to set a precedence with a specific audio player.

Please register your interest for this part with the Parts Department, who, once the part has been released for the UK market will further be able to confirm its price and availability.

We hope this information is of use. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Simon Wilding
Product Information Coordinator
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: 0800 325600
Fax: 0870 5050 206
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 15 March 2007 11:04
To: BMW Customer Information
Subject: BMW 5 series
Hi,

I have ordered a BMW 5 series and I have added the option 6FL which put a USB socket in the central armrest of the car.

In order to connect my Ipod I need a specific cable which according to the attached PDF file should be supplied by BMW with the Car. However it would appear that the dealer(s) are not aware of this and they even stating that the cable needs to be obtained from Apple whilst the image clearly makes it a BMW accessory.

Can you please clarify:
Will the cable be supplied with the car if you have ordered option 6FL?
If the cable need to be purchased, where can it be purchased from? (as the dealers appear to be unaware)
Look forward to your reply

Kind regards,
Vincent Verzijl

That seems reasonable I think............my only frustration that it is unlikely that i will be able to have the iPod working through the USB connection when I pick the car up on the day
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='403152' date='Mar 15 2007, 06:53 PM
....my only frustration that it is unlikely that i will be able to have the iPod working through the USB connection when I pick the car up on the day...
A veritable disaster...

ABC
Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 AM
TC.
Members

hey ho - guess it will be a case of rooting through the cable box under the spare bed and trying out a diy job! Although having said that, the cables seen so far split the USB output from an iPod into a usb and 3.5mm jack connection - the 3.5mm jack does not come out of the headphone socket so i guess this will not work :'(
Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
TC.
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='403157' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:01 PM
A veritable disaster...

ABC
I knew we would get no sympathy from the worlds biggest fan of mp3's
Old 03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TC.' post='403160' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:04 PM
hey ho - guess it will be a case of rooting through the cable box under the spare bed and trying out a diy job!
Patience and 30 quid.

Then you get all the true high fidelity audio that is MP3.

ABC

Quick Reply: More info on USB in the LCI