E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Mobile One 0W-30 - potential valve cover gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:59 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i

While I've had over 30 years racing Enduro motorcyles and high-end off-roading and doing most of the work on my machines myself, I'm not too much of a noob, but trust me, I'm still very willing to learn, since this is my first BMW. I'm a pretty decent -- though not expert -- garage mechanic.

BimmerFan, with your 545 and 125k miles, how many times have you changed the valve cover gaskets?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knklhead
While I've had over 30 years racing Enduro motorcyles and high-end off-roading and doing most of the work on my machines myself, I'm not too much of a noob, but trust me, I'm still very willing to learn, since this is my first BMW. I'm a pretty decent -- though not expert -- garage mechanic.

BimmerFan, with your 545 and 125k miles, how many times have you changed the valve cover gaskets?
Well then if you are competent turning a wrench the valve cover gasket job should go pretty smoothly. There are several DIYs on this or the other popular BMW site that will walk you through the process. I have found the Bentley service manual to be a good investment.

I have never changed my valve cover gaskets, but then I am not a good poster child for BMW gasket repair, given my car's history.

The previous owner had an extended warranty and had everything, and I mean everything including tires, windshield wipers, etc. done at the dealer. I was able to snag the electronic file from the dealer with the owner's permission so I have a record of every screw that was turned since 23K miles on the car.

At 75K miles the previous owner was ready to sell and brought the car in for an alignment and final check over prior to sale. The dealer noticed that the lower timing chain cover gasket was leaking. They pulled the engine from the car and replaced every gasket on the top of the motor - head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, alternator bracket gasket, upper and lower timing chain cover gaskets, water pipe, intake gasket, spark plug tubes ..... the whole 9 yards, all under warranty. The owner paid a $50 deductible for about $6500 worth of work.

I purchased the car 100 miles after he got it back from the dealer and have been on 5K drain intervals ever since, so I wouldn't expect gasket problems. But you only need to search this and the other BMW site to see how common valve cover gasket replacements are.

Last edited by BimmerFan52; 08-12-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:09 AM
New Members

Good info and thank you.

I have looked into changing the VCG myself if need be -- looks less difficult than lots of other things I've done in the past. We'll see what Mobil does here, I'll try to update with progress, if any. I understand that this may fall off their radar. If I do not get movement, I'll be putting in BWM oil for a few changes, see how that changes anything.

The good news is it's a very small leak, but I'll be keeping a sharp eye on it every drive and keeping oil with me at all times!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Good info and thank you.

I have looked into changing the VCG myself if need be -- looks less difficult than lots of other things I've done in the past. We'll see what Mobil does here, I'll try to update with progress, if any. I understand that this may fall off their radar. If I do not get movement, I'll be putting in BWM oil for a few changes, see how that changes anything.

The good news is it's a very small leak, but I'll be keeping a sharp eye on it every drive and keeping oil with me at all times!
I think most of us here will tell you one thing to remember when it comes to BMWs: There are two kinds of BMWs: those that leak oil, and those that leak oil.

Oh wait, I guess there's only one kind.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:31 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
If you have been using BMW/Castrol synthetic all along then the chances that the leak was caused by switching to Mobil 1 0W-40 is INFINITESIMAL. The two oils are very similar.

... I strongly believe in changing oil while it is still rich in additives. and I have always maintained that the brand of oil is no where near as important as proper drain intervals.
^ I agree 100.00%

I am not going to try to convince anyone that disagrees.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 AM
New Members

While it may not appear, I'm very picky about my car and I'm not going to let my BMW leak oil if there's anything I can do about it - even if it's a drop or two on the manifold! I appreciate the input.

Anyone suggest BMW 5W-30 would ultimately be worth an install to see how/if the small leak stops?

Last edited by knklhead; 08-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

While it may not appear, I'm very picky about my car and I'm not going to let my BMW leak oil if there's anything I can do about it - even if it's a drop or two on the manifold! I appreciate the input.

Anyone suggest BMW 5W-30 would ultimately be worth an install to see how/if the small leak stops?
Before the Mobil 1, what exactly had you been putting in and where did you buy it? Are you sure you haven't just been using synthetic all along?

You suggestion above is a cheap enough test, but I'm with pcy, I don't think Mobil 1 has anything to do with the problem.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
New Members

Yeah, not sure it did, either, based on the input. I know there has been mention that the Mobil contact may not know that much, but I am just having a heck of a time with this. Why in the world with anyone at Mobil TELL ME that 0W-50 CAN cause both VCG and rear seal leaks if it's not possible?

I certainly would think they'd be as straight forward as possible, just say, Sir, sorry, no way that our stuff caused your leak.

As far as what was used before, I do know one of the changes was with Mobil 5W-30 synthetic.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I too am very picky about all 4 of my cars. When I bought my first BMW I had every leak fixed which cost me about $2400. I was happy they were all fixed. 2 years later guess what more leaks. So no matter how many gaskets you change you will always be fixing leaks. I was at the dealership having my car looked at before I went on a 21 hr road trip and more leaks. The mechanic came to talk to me and he told me I will go broke fixing every leak on the car. They do not tell customers of most leaks because they will be in ever year for the same leaks. He told me if its not a more consistent leak do not fix it. That is the advise I have been following for years and I have not had an issue of Oil being low at changes (every 7K-8K). I do keep tabs on the leaks when doing oil changes but the leaks have not changed since I first found them and it has been years.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 PM
New Members

Excellent input ... the leak seems like it's intermittent, drove today and no sign or smell of leak whatsoever. Checked the oil and all good.

Appreciate your thoughts -- maybe it would be wiser to NOT go through a gasket change if the leak is so small -- and maybe another oil can cure it. Additionally, it's been a bit cooler, and I am wondering if even outside temperatures can affect it.

I might very well just stand pat for now.

Quick Reply: Mobile One 0W-30 - potential valve cover gasket leak