E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Minor...but irritating...rattle/creak aroound A/C control knobs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

It's not very loud, but I always listen closely to the sounds of my car...that's just me. It's not really when I hit a bump or rough road. I notice it mostly when I have been driving on the Intersate, exit to a stop sign, then pull on to the next street at slower/quiter speed. I can then hear it. It's coming from the plastic plate area that surrounds the driver's temp knob, fan knob, passenger temp knob...that area. I can press down on the plastic surrounding area and the noise will stops. I really don't want to have to jam small pieces of paper and stuff in the joints where that "plate" meets the dash. We're not talking 1982 Chevy or anything here. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Allen' post='679058' date='Sep 26 2008, 01:20 PM
It's not very loud, but I always listen closely to the sounds of my car...that's just me. It's not really when I hit a bump or rough road. I notice it mostly when I have been driving on the Intersate, exit to a stop sign, then pull on to the next street at slower/quiter speed. I can then hear it. It's coming from the plastic plate area that surrounds the driver's temp knob, fan knob, passenger temp knob...that area. I can press down on the plastic surrounding area and the noise will stops. I really don't want to have to jam small pieces of paper and stuff in the joints where that "plate" meets the dash. We're not talking 1982 Chevy or anything here. Anyone else have this issue?
that piece is held in by two screws at the top and various clips all the way around the perimiter. First, press around the edges (including the wood piece below the a/c and cd player, that's all one piece) and make sure all the clips are secure. if that doesn't fix it, remove the wood trim and either tighten the two screws or remove the panel and make sure the a/c controls are tightly snapped into place and then tighten everything back up.

search, there's very detailed instructions on the removal, it takes <5 minutes to do it.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='679136' date='Sep 26 2008, 07:35 PM
that piece is held in by two screws at the top and various clips all the way around the perimiter. First, press around the edges (including the wood piece below the a/c and cd player, that's all one piece) and make sure all the clips are secure. if that doesn't fix it, remove the wood trim and either tighten the two screws or remove the panel and make sure the a/c controls are tightly snapped into place and then tighten everything back up.

search, there's very detailed instructions on the removal, it takes <5 minutes to do it.
Hi,

I have a similar problem although the rattle sounds like it is coming from below the rubber area that leads to the TFT screen as when I press down on it it also stops the rattle.

I have tried to find instructions to remove the A/C facia, and also the rubber area to the screen to no avail. Can you link me to the instructions if you know where they are please.

Regards

Melv