E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milky white coolant - engine oil is OK but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how long have you had the car? know the history?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550I v8 N62tu

Originally Posted by Spence73
The expansion tank oozed the Colby jack - super thick white paste if you will... white with streaks of brown. The Colby jack reference was from my old restaurant days :-)
The engine mysteriously lost a quart of oil in about a weeks time so I replaced it, three days later it wanted another quart. Now, it's asking for another one! So, there is about 2-3 quarts of oil in the coolant system.
The oil in the valve cover looked fine (other than being a little sludgy).
The expansion tank has developed a crack in the bottom slowly dripping out the white mess (added pressure perhaps?)
Dip stick? What dip stick? I'm not 100% but isn't this missing on the 07 (all sensor based)? If it's the tranny you're referring to then I'll look for it tomorrow.
The oil-to-water heat exchanger sits on top of the head right? On the front?
Anyway, I appreciate the efforts!
** Page 25 **
http://prodcds.bmwuniversity.com/lib...2%20Engine.pdf
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

I don't buy the "You need a whole new engine". It could just be a bad head gasket (or heat exchanger if it has one). Remove head, check for warping, skim if necessary and fit a new headgasket. If the engine was running fine before the fault occurred (no knocking or rough running) then it should be OK.

Of course if your mechanic is telling you that the above work will cost as much as or more than just fitting a used engine, then that's a different story.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 AM
New Members

If it does have a heat exchanger - you can take it off and have it pressure checked before picking on the head.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

The expansion tank oozed the Colby jack - super thick white paste if you will... white with streaks of brown. The Colby jack reference was from my old restaurant days :-)

The engine mysteriously lost a quart of oil in about a weeks time so I replaced it, three days later it wanted another quart. Now, it's asking for another one! So, there is about 2-3 quarts of oil in the coolant system.

The oil in the valve cover looked fine (other than being a little sludgy).

The expansion tank has developed a crack in the bottom slowly dripping out the white mess (added pressure perhaps?)

Dip stick? What dip stick? I'm not 100% but isn't this missing on the 07 (all sensor based)? If it's the tranny you're referring to then I'll look for it tomorrow.

The oil-to-water heat exchanger sits on top of the head right? On the front?

Anyway, I appreciate the efforts!
I think we know what oil we are talking about! Its engine oil.

This might not end up a dire as you fear, since it appears that the oil is leaking into the coolant, but the coolant has still done its job, since you claim that the engine has not overheated.
Find the source of the leak, repair, flush out the cooling system and replace the coolant and see.

Salut, Bob P.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Now the tech is telling me that there is a known issue with the engine oil cooler failing and mixing with the coolant... so, that means you guys are way ahead of this dude and you haven't even seen the car. Nice.

However... I am finding multiple coolers in the engine bay. I've also located some on eBay but one pic says its the engine oil cooler and the same pic down the list claims it's the transmission cooler?!

I've also came across a couple threads talking about the oil cooler gasket failing and causing this.

Which cooler do I need?

BMW 17217559960 Genuine Factory Original Oil Cooler | eBay

or

BMW 11427525333 Engine Oil Cooler Oil Cooler | eBay
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM
New Members

Now the tech is telling me that there is a known issue with the engine oil cooler failing and mixing with the coolant... so, that means you guys are way ahead of this dude and you haven't even seen the car. Nice.
However... I am finding multiple coolers in the engine bay. I've also located some on eBay but one pic says its the engine oil cooler and the same pic down the list claims it's the transmission cooler?!
I've also came across a couple threads talking about the oil cooler gasket failing and causing this.
Which cooler do I need?
BMW 17217559960 Genuine Factory Original Oil Cooler | eBay
or
Should be the second one - but I would think it's a gasket problem with the cooler.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM
New Members

I learned that the guys changed the oil filter housing gasket prior to selling it to me and I also removed the oil-coolant cooler and the gasket 'appears' to be OK, it's still flexible and not brittle but I'm replacing it anyway. I'm also replacing the oil filter housing again just in case they screwed it up.

I'm assuming that since there is oil in the coolant and no coolant in the engine it actually could be a gasket as oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure correct?

The tranny fluid is excellent so that cooler is working properly.

The oil contamination is substantial however, does anyone have the proper flush technique and chemicals used on the engine? I was told Simple Green was very good at doing this job but I want to make sure before I potentially damaged the aluminum.

I didn't see an electrical water pump (as on the X5) so i can assume it has a mechanical pump?

After the flushing is completed I'll replace the thermostat as well.

I've had a few 3 Series but this is my first 5 so I do apologize for the simple questions but the simple things tend to burn you faster than the major ones. :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
New Members

Just an update:

I removed the oil cooler and pressure tested it with 40 PSI.

I submerged the cooler in a tub of water (after cleaning it) and covered one side of the coolant hole with my finger and pressurized it... no leaks/bubbles coming out of the oil holes.

I repeated the process for the oil hole... I got 1 good size bubble every 1-2 seconds coming out of the coolant holes. Bingo. Bad oil cooler.

This explains why I have oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil.

$130 for a new cooler and I'm back on the road.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited by Spence73; 11-07-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

excellent, you saved yourself a ton of money.

I'd recommend you to change the oil as well as coolant flush, just to make sure remnant fluids are not lingering in the system.

Quick Reply: Milky white coolant - engine oil is OK but...