E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Microfilter Service - Do I bother yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i M Sport. Black - Just love it !

Guys
My I-drive Service warning has been on for a while now telling me I need a 'Microfilter Service'. It actually is counting the miles since I should have had it done and shows -3500 (approx). My question really is What is the Microfilter and Do I bother yet?
I've not noticed any difference in the air within the car (I assume it is something to do with filtering the internal air quality ??) and I don't suffer from Hey Fever or anything. Am I damaging my car in any way by not getting this done yet? I just can't see the point, may as well wait until the car is due in for a proper service - or am I missing an important point ??
Thanks in advance for any comments or info. (PS - If it makes any difference, I'm in the UK and Summer this year is REALLY bad, cold and wet so hardly using the Aircon anyway!).
Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by joldknow' post='445303' date='Jul 9 2007, 02:23 PM
Guys
My I-drive Service warning has been on for a while now telling me I need a 'Microfilter Service'. It actually is counting the miles since I should have had it done and shows -3500 (approx). My question really is What is the Microfilter and Do I bother yet?
I've not noticed any difference in the air within the car (I assume it is something to do with filtering the internal air quality ??) and I don't suffer from Hey Fever or anything. Am I damaging my car in any way by not getting this done yet? I just can't see the point, may as well wait until the car is due in for a proper service - or am I missing an important point ??
Thanks in advance for any comments or info. (PS - If it makes any difference, I'm in the UK and Summer this year is REALLY bad, cold and wet so hardly using the Aircon anyway!).
Clogged microfilter will diminish the a/c performance. I have noticed that with clogged microfilter the volume of air coming out from the vent is not as strong as when microfilter is new or clean. There is actually no damage will be done even if you don't change the microfilter, it's just that a/c will not be as efficient when filter is clogged. It filters the outside air coming into the cabin.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I just change my Microfilter last weekend and it dose not cost much, I got 3 set on ebay. Not the BMW OEM but 3rd partys which do the same job and 70% less in price in HK.
but It needs a bit of moding to put it in. It works 100% OK
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Cabin-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

I would change the Microfilter now cos it will make the AC perform better and it will not smell bad.
With all the $hit air in this world I would change it every year, that what I do, I never wait until the light come on. Just like the airfiltter at home change every year.
If you have kids it better for them too.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

the microfilter deals with the air going into the cabin through the vents and only takes maybe 10 minutes for them to be changed by the dealer. the e60 is equipped with 2 of them. like member thirdy, i too have noticed the difference of volume of air with new microfilters compared to when they need to be changed.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Make sure you get a pair of carbon activated filters (mine were about 50 quid from my dealer)
Open your bonnet and under the windscreen there is a box to the right and left of the engine compartment.
Undo the long clip/spring, open the lid and swap the inlays. Shut them, refix clip and shut bonnet. Sorted.

You could also have a look first, what the existing ones look like, but I'd just change them.

By the way, my dealer charged 60 notes all in and service interval reset.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='445618' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:58 PM
Make sure you get a pair of carbon activated filters (mine were about 50 quid from my dealer)
Open your bonnet and under the windscreen there is a box to the right and left of the engine compartment.
Undo the long clip/spring, open the lid and swap the inlays. Shut them, refix clip and shut bonnet. Sorted.

You could also have a look first, what the existing ones look like, but I'd just change them.

By the way, my dealer charged 60 notes all in and service interval reset.
wow that is alot in UK.
In HK for the OEM they are $50us for 2 and free reset on the computer.
for this price I got 3 set on ebay. which do the same job. BMW are abit of a con 3rd party product and put there name on and charge 2x the price.
just like the oil filter that I got on ebay too same as bmw 1st and 60% cheeper.
why pay more when you don`t need to.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by joldknow' post='445303' date='Jul 9 2007, 10:23 PM
For fresh and clean cabin air you should change them at once.

I got mine changed last month but I don't know what they costed
since I got them as a courtesy of my fuckup local BMW Service.

Also the iDrive has to be configured for the new filters!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

I have the service inclusive pack and have also had to take the car in recently for the microfilter replacement. it is a bit of a pain as only 2000 miles later the oil service was due but the dealer told me "officially" i should get the items replaced/serviced as and when i-drive flags them up to ensure the service-by-condition schedule is adhered to. guess its up to you to decide if that all b*lox but since I have the service pack it doesn't cost me anything extra/less to take it in so i got it done. at least now (after the oil service was done) i don't seem to have any more items due for a service for another 14K miles or so
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Members

Had mine done yesterday and it cost me ?87. They added 2 work units for a scope test (ie read the faults). Just like somebody else, my oil is up in ~2k miles.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E60

if u set to re-circulate air internally, would the air filter still be used?

Quick Reply: Microfilter Service - Do I bother yet ?