E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Metallic Ping Under Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 535i has this rhythmic metallic ping at idle that seems to be coming from underneath the car. At first it seemed like it was coming from the engine bay but now it seems like it's coming from some where underneath the car towards the back of the engine. Has anyone here hear the same noise or know what it may be?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147781
117 pages of it...

to be honest with you I would just live with it till BMW finds a fix for it that does not nuteter your car.
The technical part of it is the Waste gates are chattering especially at low rpm or at idle correct. There is a defect with the waste gate articulators on the N54. Basically they come loose or out of spec and they start rattling ( sounds lit an intermittent pinging or like a bolt in a blender at high speed bouncing around is the best way to describe it.

Bmw will first put on the new 29.2 + ( rev 31.1 or 31.2 now) that leaves the waste gates open till about 2800-3000 rpm so this induces low power Lag with the turbo motor, then after another 5000 or so miles it will start again and then they will replace the turbos and the waste gates ( not the articulators for some reason ?). BMW Europe seem to know of the issue and is working on a fix, while in the USA the either acknowledge it and say "deal with it ", or don't care. That is what the 117+ page thread is about.

If you have a car made after march 08 , I would go ahead and take it to the dealer since you already have the Laggy software on it. If you don't (pre march 08 build with out any updates) that is a hard choice. You will have lag in a previously lag less car, your MPG will go down and you exhaust will sound drastically different, and if you want to put tuning software on your car , it now will data log the tune so that BMW can void your warranty ( though most of the good tuners have now found a way around this and have fixed the lag .. and the rattle) with the software update they use to "fix" it. But it will temporarily "Fix" it for a couple thousand miles , but it will come back.... then you will get new turbos and new revision waste gates....

I'd say live with it, but that's me , until a real not goofy fix is released.
n54tech.com
e90post.net in the turbo section are both good sources of info for the N54 motor if you care.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. There is definitely a lot of reading in the thread you posted. My 535 was built in 03/08 and I am not sure what firmware is installed but I am going to take your advice and just live with it for now until BMW comes up with the correct fix. The tapping/pinging doesn't really bother me. I was more concerned that there was something seriously wrong with the car.