E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Memory Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Anyone had experiance with using memory stick/flash drive in the USB port fitted into centre consule on 2007 car with CCC/Bluetooth etc?
My problem is trying to get an 8 gig drive to work- the system only seems to recognise FAT16 filesystem, not FAT32 as required by the flash drive. I've tried NTFS and this is a no go too. Has anyone had larger memory sticks up and running on this year of E60?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

If you do a search I recall seeing a member that use hard drive instead so that being the case that gotta be at least 8GB or even more.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krisbiker2
Anyone had experiance with using memory stick/flash drive in the USB port fitted into centre consule on 2007 car with CCC/Bluetooth etc?
My problem is trying to get an 8 gig drive to work- the system only seems to recognise FAT16 filesystem, not FAT32 as required by the flash drive. I've tried NTFS and this is a no go too. Has anyone had larger memory sticks up and running on this year of E60?
You say it does NOT recognize FAT32 or NTFS. Why don't you format it using FAT filing system? Download HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (it's free), and this software will allow you to format in FAT format. Give this a try and let us know how it works out.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Originally Posted by deltabox
You say it does NOT recognize FAT32 or NTFS. Why don't you format it using FAT filing system? Download HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (it's free), and this software will allow you to format in FAT format. Give this a try and let us know how it works out.
I tried this but FAT system only recognises up to 2Gb, so you lose the other 6
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
If you do a search I recall seeing a member that use hard drive instead so that being the case that gotta be at least 8GB or even more.
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried searching several different usb, memory stick and hard drive keywords before posting as I thought this must have come up before, but had no joy. I'm struggling with the concept of manufacturers producing a system that cannot read what are basically industry standard formats, even in 2000ish when the system would have been designed, FAT32 was more commmon than FAT, which went out with the ark!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Members

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried searching several different usb, memory stick and hard drive keywords before posting as I thought this must have come up before, but had no joy. I'm struggling with the concept of manufacturers producing a system that cannot read what are basically industry standard formats, even in 2000ish when the system would have been designed, FAT32 was more commmon than FAT, which went out with the ark!
I am using a 16GB card with no issues. What I found out it depends on the type of the card you are using as some memory cards drain more power. Here what I would recommend. Get your self a 16GD micro SD card and use a USB adaptor with low power usage like this pictures. You can create a different folder on it and customize your music.
Attached Thumbnails Memory Stick-0207121916.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Well look like you didn't search hard enough ... here's one of them using 80GB = http://forums.5serie...bipod-interface another w/ 60GB = http://forums.5serie...ith-usb-option/

Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Well look like you didn't search hard enough ... here's one of them using 80GB = http://forums.5serie...bipod-interface another w/ 60GB = http://forums.5serie...ith-usb-option/
Thanks for the links,they gave me the determination to keep playing...As I said, I'd tried searching for clues with no joy so thanks for taking the time to point me there. What I've now found is that my USB doesnt seem to like Transcend memory, still wouldn't work, even formatted FAT. I thought that was the issue, but I've since reformatted the memory that worked to FAT32 to see if it stopped- it still works, dont know what make it is tho as it was one of these cheapos that get given away at shows with no name on. Have I finally found something CHEAP that Beemers like?? Am now going to see what other memory I've got lying around to try
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by neopoint
I am using a 16GB card with no issues. What I found out it depends on the type of the card you are using as some memory cards drain more power. Here what I would recommend. Get your self a 16GD micro SD card and use a USB adaptor with low power usage like this pictures. You can create a different folder on it and customize your music.
Thanks for the suggestion- some people appear to be managing to run hard drives from the USB, so I wouldn't have thoughtpower is the issue, it seems to be more compatability issues (see my other post). what make is the 16G card youve got running?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

Was this a feature they added to the 2007 model?

Quick Reply: Memory Stick