E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Memory seat and keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...after different key used to open the door?
Mine does not.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by alex123' date='Mar 27 2005, 08:14 AM
...after different key used to open the door?
Mine does not.
[snapback]107341[/snapback]
It does not. But you now have access to two different memory settings than you had with the other key.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Mar 27 2005, 12:37 PM
[quote name='alex123' date='Mar 27 2005, 08:14 AM']...after different key used to open the door?
Mine does not.
[snapback]107341[/snapback]
It does not. But you now have access to two different memory settings than you had with the other key.
[snapback]107348[/snapback]
[/quote]

So that means unless positon was stored as soon as the other key is used and seat moved that original position is lost?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The key remembers the position of the seat when the car was locked and will move back into the last position, no matter if this position was stored in the meory function.
That means, each master key remembers the last position, plus the memory positions stored in the memory function.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Mar 27 2005, 12:45 PM
The key remembers the position of the seat when the car was locked and will move back into the last position, no matter if this position was stored in the meory function.
That means, each master key remembers the last position, plus the memory positions stored in the memory function.
[snapback]107354[/snapback]
I does work
First time my wife drove the car it did not work, maybe because car was opened with one key and started with the other or some kind of mismatch happened

All because I cave in and let her drive it for the first time since getting a car in December.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm still trying to figure out exactlly how this memory thing works...

My dad and I both have a key to the car and we park it in the garage and so of course it doesnt get locked. Sometimes I can get in the car and just start it and it'll start adjusting the seats... sometimes it doesnt.

Sometimes I can just hit unlock and it will start adjusting the seat sometimes it doesnt... *keep in mind this is done with the car always unlocked*

Some times it screws up and I have to manually reset my seating position again.

Can anyone explain WHEN the car will actually use the settings thats stored in the key? Does the car need to be locked with key#1 and unlocked by key #2 to use #2 settings? or do we always need to hit the unlock button once wether the car is locked or unlocked? or can we just get in and start the engine and it will start adjusting the settings then?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 27 2005, 08:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out exactlly how this memory thing works...

My dad and I both have a key to the car and we park it in the garage and so of course it doesnt get locked. Sometimes I can get in the car and just start it and it'll start adjusting the seats... sometimes it doesnt.

Sometimes I can just hit unlock and it will start adjusting the seat sometimes it doesnt... *keep in mind this is done with the car always unlocked*

Some times it screws up and I have to manually reset my seating position again.

Can anyone explain WHEN the car will actually use the settings thats stored in the key? Does the car need to be locked with key#1 and unlocked by key #2 to use #2 settings? or do we always need to hit the unlock button once wether the car is locked or unlocked? or can we just get in and start the engine and it will start adjusting the settings then?
[snapback]107422[/snapback]
Try "double unlocking" your doors with the new key - i.e. press to unlock the car and then press again. I have found that this method to be foolproof in getting the seats back to their last position with a particular key.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 27 2005, 04:30 PM

The "last seat position" function can be set in idrive. I think it is under Vehicle settings --> Door Locks. You can set it to activate when the car is unlocked or when the door is opened.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by sapaman' date='Mar 27 2005, 02:30 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Mar 27 2005, 04:30 PM']Can anyone explain WHEN the car will actually use the settings thats stored in the key? Does the car need to be locked with key#1 and unlocked by key #2 to use #2 settings? or do we always need to hit the unlock button once wether the car is locked or unlocked? or can we just get in and start the engine and it will start adjusting the settings then?

The "last seat position" function can be set in idrive. I think it is under Vehicle settings --> Door Locks. You can set it to activate when the car is unlocked or when the door is opened.
[snapback]107509[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya I have it set to activate when car is unlocked... but what happens when I dont lock the door and swap keys? I dont think it'll know either way. Even if I set it to activate when door is opened, if I dont lock the door and swap keys it wont know if I walk up to the car with a new key. I dont think the RF goes that far for the key.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 27 2005, 06:43 PM
[quote name='sapaman' date='Mar 27 2005, 02:30 PM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Mar 27 2005, 04:30 PM']Can anyone explain WHEN the car will actually use the settings thats stored in the key? Does the car need to be locked with key#1 and unlocked by key #2 to use #2 settings? or do we always need to hit the unlock button once wether the car is locked or unlocked? or can we just get in and start the engine and it will start adjusting the settings then?

[snapback]107509[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya I have it set to activate when car is unlocked... but what happens when I dont lock the door and swap keys? I dont think it'll know either way. Even if I set it to activate when door is opened, if I dont lock the door and swap keys it wont know if I walk up to the car with a new key. I dont think the RF goes that far for the key.
[snapback]107514[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, I guess that would be a problem. Unless you lock/unlock the car with the new key, the car will have no idea you are using the a different key.

Quick Reply: Memory seat and keys