E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted my Fiber Optic Link to CDC help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by type11
Yeah I think I will just get both they are cheap. Do you think the plan might work if I strip back the tap holding the wires together and then re-end the fiber (assuming a clean cut of course) and figure out a way to make the ends stay? The connectors work great and I use them all the time, I am just not used to working near fiber and not having metal cores int he wires... doah... So ticked at myself I usually don't make errors like that. Thanks again for the replies giving me a bit of hope I might be able to fix this without dealer intervention, I wish there was an easy way to splice them back but I can't find anything. I also can't find any part to just replace that cable. seems everything is made to do the fiber and ends yourself.
I think there's no 'replacement' because the MOST connector in the glove box is part of the main harness (an $8k+ replacement) that - as you feared - runs to the trunk. However I believe that 61136906535 is a 'connector' for the pin and socket parts (...46 and ...47) of the fibre - so even if you have to cut futher back you should be able to splice it.

If I have time tonight I'll look at my connectors - gotta catch a flight now though...
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Members

Uggg... Ok thanks again for all your help! safe flight!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Uggg... Ok thanks again for all your help! safe flight!
You might be able to buy an extra fiber optic assembly from Dension and transfer it to your car. From what I have read, you need special tools to cleanly cut and crimp the fiber optic cables.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Members

Thanks. I have ordered some kevlar cutters and some stippers made for fiber. The one thing I am still missing is how to secure the cables in the BMW ends I ordered.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Members

Meant to post back here sooner but I ordered the bullet ends and the holders. Yesterday day I stripped back the tape holding all the wires in then I evened out the fiber with some kevlar cutters. From there I got my fiber strippers and got the new ends on. the cool thing is they were metal vs the original plastic. This made it so that I could carefully crimp them with normal crimpers and it easily fit into the harness. Amazingly everything is working fine and seems secure. I got the Dension installed and it and the changer are working. I will take some pictures if I get the chance but definitely try this before going to a dealer. All in all I was out 70 bucks for the parts and the cutters and strippers.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Meant to post back here sooner but I ordered the bullet ends and the holders. Yesterday day I stripped back the tape holding all the wires in then I evened out the fiber with some kevlar cutters. From there I got my fiber strippers and got the new ends on. the cool thing is they were metal vs the original plastic. This made it so that I could carefully crimp them with normal crimpers and it easily fit into the harness. Amazingly everything is working fine and seems secure. I got the Dension installed and it and the changer are working. I will take some pictures if I get the chance but definitely try this before going to a dealer. All in all I was out 70 bucks for the parts and the cutters and strippers.
Awesome! Good to hear! Thanks for posting a follow up!