5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Melted my Fiber Optic Link to CDC help! (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/melted-my-fiber-optic-link-cdc-help-118515/)

type11 11-01-2011 07:24 PM

I have a 2007 M5 with CCC and I decided I was going to put in Denison 500 gateway. Everything went well and I tested it and all was good so I got ready for final install. I did my crimps and then heat wrapped them. However one of the metal parts got hot and went into the fiber cord going from the head unit CCC (I assume that is where it came from anyway) to what was the CDC but is now the 500 gateway. I was soooooooo pissed at myself but now I am on to how I can fix it. I assume I can rerun a fiber/MOST cable from the CCC to the CDC in the glove box but for the life of me I can't find a part number or anything. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

or_550i 11-01-2011 07:43 PM

Here's the realoem link to the fibre optic repair parts.

type11 11-01-2011 08:08 PM

or_550i thanks for the fast reply. I had run into that link but I was a little unsure of which of those parts I needed and how long the run needed to be. I guess naively I figured there would just be a replacement cable to go from A to B like the original. I am guessing I need 1 of course (2 o them) and then 4 of the 2 (though I don't know what the other end looks like). The I am guessing 2 of the number 6 one on each end to hold it together? Sorry for being dense here but anything would be helpful as it appears when I f*cked up the ring I can play no audio now

cheers

type11 11-01-2011 08:11 PM

Actually looking at it maybe a couple 1s and 2 11s and are I am looking for?

type11 11-01-2011 08:26 PM

Humm ok since I am putting in the dension and it has a long fiber lead what are the chances I can get an 61138387214 and some how cut off the bad parts of the fiber and add the new end to it? I know fiber splicing and taking off the cover is a lit different that wire but I really have nothing to lose by trying it. Would I need anything else or is 61138387214 the only part at the end of the fiber? Any chance I can bail my self out here?

thanks again

type11 11-01-2011 09:26 PM

OK last post (which I could figure how to delete the rest. Looking at the connector and what is going on I think I would like to try to put a new end on the old one as it does not look damaged once it goes up into the taped part.

It looks like I need 61136901847 to make new ends and then 61138387214 to hold them. LAst questions

1. How should I cut the fiber runs? I am guessing it is pretty particular and I would need a nice clean cut
2. How do I strip the green coating of the fiber to get to the black undercoating? I know how to do this with wire but again think I need to be careful
3. Once stripped and down to the black how do I make the fiber stay in the 61136901847 part above? From existing I see a black blob near the end of 61136901847 inside holding the fiber in place.

Is there any chance I can make this work or should I just take it to a dealer? if I do a new fiber run does it go all the way to the junction in the trunk?

thanks again and sorry for all the post I have been looking all over as I am very pissed at myself.

cheers

or_550i 11-01-2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by type11 (Post 1396048)
OK last post (which I could figure how to delete the rest. Looking at the connector and what is going on I think I would like to try to put a new end on the old one as it does not look damaged once it goes up into the taped part.

It looks like I need 61136901847 to make new ends and then 61138387214 to hold them. LAst questions

1. How should I cut the fiber runs? I am guessing it is pretty particular and I would need a nice clean cut
2. How do I strip the green coating of the fiber to get to the black undercoating? I know how to do this with wire but again think I need to be careful
3. Once stripped and down to the black how do I make the fiber stay in the 61136901847 part above? From existing I see a black blob near the end of 61136901847 inside holding the fiber in place.

Is there any chance I can make this work or should I just take it to a dealer? if I do a new fiber run does it go all the way to the junction in the trunk?

thanks again and sorry for all the post I have been looking all over as I am very pissed at myself.

cheers

1. I'm not sure about BMW MOST specifically but I do know that usually you need non-burring cutting tools when cutting optic fibre. This might work.
2. From what I remember about my MOST connectors that is just the 'shielding' and can be cut away.
3. No idea.

The part you broke, I think, only runs from the glove box to the MASK/CCC. Somewhere on the harness of the part that broke should be a tag with the part number - which you could ask the dealer to replace.

Can you take some pictures of what's broken and post them? What's the part number where the MOST (Fibre) was broken? That will help determine which parts are needed.

type11 11-02-2011 12:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 127886

Not a great picture of this but this is where my CDC was in my Glovebox. You can see the wiring harness I was splicing into poking out

Attachment 127887

Here is a close up of my handywork. this was all the harness to the CDC but for Denison install I split off the fiber and spliced into the power with the red and black wires. In here you can see the two fiber cables and what remains of them. the one in sheathing and the one further back in green. You can see the heat shrinking on the butt connectors that caused all this.

Attachment 127888

One more and you can see where the fiber would normally go into the DCD harness (man the iPhone 4S really nailed this shot!)

Attachment 127889

Here is the harness that was in the CDC harness for the fiber that no is an orphan

Attachment 127890

Here it is taken apart. Looks like 61136901847 and 61138387214.

Again my plan would be to strip back the tape on the wires you see to expose more of the green fiber. then cut it clean, try and put on the new ends and get them back into the harness... Unless there is a part for the cable I need I can just use. I am scared it is going to the tunk to the fiber junction there....

thanks again!

or_550i 11-02-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by type11 (Post 1396070)
Attachment 127887

Here is a close up of my handywork. this was all the harness to the CDC but for Denison install I split off the fiber and spliced into the power with the red and black wires. In here you can see the two fiber cables and what remains of them. the one in sheathing and the one further back in green. You can see the heat shrinking on the butt connectors that caused all this.

Heat shrink butt connectors. Metcal? You are a through man. I rarely see anyone use those correctly! Thank you.

Originally Posted by type11 (Post 1396070)
Attachment 127890

Here it is taken apart. Looks like 61136901847 and 61138387214.

Again my plan would be to strip back the tape on the wires you see to expose more of the green fibre. then cut it clean, try and put on the new ends and get them back into the harness... Unless there is a part for the cable I need I can just use. I am scared it is going to the tunk to the fiber junction there....

Actually I think that you want 61136901846 and not 61136901847 based on what the end of the fiber looks like but if they are cheap get both I guess.
After looking at the part and your picture I think that 61136901846 and 61136901847 are heat shrunk to the fiber but I'm not sure.

Yes, you are correct about 61138387214 if you want a new one, I think the one you have might be re-usable though.

type11 11-02-2011 10:15 AM

Yeah I think I will just get both they are cheap. Do you think the plan might work if I strip back the tap holding the wires together and then re-end the fiber (assuming a clean cut of course) and figure out a way to make the ends stay? The connectors work great and I use them all the time, I am just not used to working near fiber and not having metal cores int he wires... doah... So ticked at myself I usually don't make errors like that. Thanks again for the replies giving me a bit of hope I might be able to fix this without dealer intervention, I wish there was an easy way to splice them back but I can't find anything. I also can't find any part to just replace that cable. seems everything is made to do the fiber and ends yourself.