E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
From the looks of your pic the spot you're referring to looks like the same spot thats discolored on mine. Idk I'll wait and see what Michael says. Hopefully its the same problem you had and will iron itself out...
yes you can tell that its almost like the pad isnt making complete contact with the inner edge of the rotor hence the lighter cleaner color compared to where the pads are rubbing the rest of the rotor. Also if there was any condensation dew or the rotor got damp it could be a bit of rust dust and since the pad is not rubbing that part of the rotor it looks like that. I believe after the pads flatten out you will be fine! I didnt consider it a problem......just a pad break in period till the pad flattens out from use!

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 10-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
yes you can tell that its almost like the pad isnt making complete contact with the inner edge of the rotor hence the lighter cleaner color compared to where the pads are rubbing the rest of the rotor. Also if there was any condensation dew or the rotor got damp it could be a bit of rust dust and since the pad is not rubbing that part of the rotor it looks like that. I believe after the pads flatten out you will be fine! I didnt consider it a problem......just a pad break in period till the pad flattens out from use!
Yea thats what it looked like to me hope thats all it is, no it was a clear dry day when i got them installed and when I did the bed-in. I pay close attention to stuff on my car I've never seen that happen before so I was concerned. I did a search on google and there was a guy who had installed R1 rotors on a mustang one of the rotors looked like mine and on the caption of his pic he wrote "burned the rotor while bedding in brakes" so I got scared. I dont see how that could happen if all i did was follow the instructions. SIDE NOTE--- I see you have RPI exhaust is it loud? Ive only seen sound clips and its hard to tell its a mod I want to get when the weather breaks again... Do you have one from your car?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Yea thats what it looked like to me hope thats all it is, no it was a clear dry day when i got them installed and when I did the bed-in. I pay close attention to stuff on my car I've never seen that happen before so I was concerned. I did a search on google and there was a guy who had installed R1 rotors on a mustang one of the rotors looked like mine and on the caption of his pic he wrote "burned the rotor while bedding in brakes" so I got scared. I dont see how that could happen if all i did was follow the instructions. SIDE NOTE--- I see you have RPI exhaust is it loud? Ive only seen sound clips and its hard to tell its a mod I want to get when the weather breaks again... Do you have one from your car?
heres 3 videos of the exhaust

parked

from the outside driving

when the car is being pushed its loud but when you drive regular its quieter

from the inside driving windows open

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 10-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

heres 3 videos of the exhaust
when the car is being pushed its loud but when you drive regular its quieter
Smooth, Thanks alot I've actually seen the second video on here before when you made your own scoop. Your ride to work looks familiar Im from queens 140th and Guy Brew. I moved to MD a couple years ago. Im always out there maybe one day I can pass thru and hear it in person I've been waiting to do that but havent found anyone. Also Michael got back to me he said R1 said that color is part of the break in process as long as it doesnt turn purple I'm good to go.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 528i
Model Year: 2008

I'd be curious to see if you develop a squeal from your brakes. I have the same setup and I've removed the pads 3 times to coat them with anti squeal gel and nothing has worked. I went through the bedding process just like you did too. The setup looks nice but the squeal isn't worth it, I'm just postponing going back to an OEM brakes just so I feel I got something out the $600 I spent on R1 rotors and hawk pads.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Smooth, Thanks alot I've actually seen the second video on here before when you made your own scoop. Your ride to work looks familiar Im from queens 140th and Guy Brew. I moved to MD a couple years ago. Im always out there maybe one day I can pass thru and hear it in person I've been waiting to do that but havent found anyone. Also Michael got back to me he said R1 said that color is part of the break in process as long as it doesnt turn purple I'm good to go.
Yup if you ever coming through we could meet up........glad the rotors turned out ok! thats just a side road that goes into the airport at JFK from Lefferts Blvd.

Originally Posted by justoracle
I'd be curious to see if you develop a squeal from your brakes. I have the same setup and I've removed the pads 3 times to coat them with anti squeal gel and nothing has worked. I went through the bedding process just like you did too. The setup looks nice but the squeal isn't worth it, I'm just postponing going back to an OEM brakes just so I feel I got something out the $600 I spent on R1 rotors and hawk pads.
Mine were quiet for about 2 months then all of a sudden got a squeek on the right front.....had it 2 years ago before changing out the rotors and pads the forst time, but here it is again even with 4 month old rotors and pads? weird....
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yup if you ever coming through we could meet up........glad the rotors turned out ok! thats just a side road that goes into the airport at JFK from Lefferts Blvd.
Ok cool I'll shoot you a PM when the time comes. Yea I was relieved still gotta see what actually comes of it hope I dont get that squeal you guys are talking about... I was reffering to what seemed like you were on the belt pkwy JFK is right there were I lived.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Ok cool I'll shoot you a PM when the time comes. Yea I was relieved still gotta see what actually comes of it hope I dont get that squeal you guys are talking about... I was reffering to what seemed like you were on the belt pkwy JFK is right there were I lived.
cool let me know, Yea the belt is right there....off lefferts right on the conduit what i was on is a small part of the Nassau expwy!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by justoracle
Interesting. I have the same problem since my Hawk Pads were installed last year. I have R1 cd/s rotors (love 'em). I believe our issue are the pads and not the rotors. Initially they were awfully loud at install but got a little better since, however it is annoyingly still there. I've removed it numerous and I mean numerous times, cleaned and lubed slide, anti squeal compound, sanded rotors, bedded pads and even replaced my brake fluid but all to no avail. Lastly I put the OEM pads back on to see if the squeal would go away, and it did. No squeal whatsoever. But I really hated how the brake dust quickly accumulated on the wheels even after only a few days of driving hence the reason why I went with hawk pads, which to my shagrin are back on and so is the squeal. I just don't get why some have this problem and some don't. I've had no luck with brake pads on this car other than OEM pads. Tried two others and was even worse than these hawk pads. I just may have to go back to OEM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

So why do you think something is wrong with your brakes because of color or performance?
I swear BMW owners worry about their cars too much when it comes to petty things

Quick Reply: MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!