E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!

So here it is in a nutshell I recently purchased R1 Premium Rotors and Hawk Pads from Acute Performance since most on here seem to like them I thought I'd give it a shot (previously had oem pads and drilled/slotted rotors). I got the rotors and pads installed friday and drove home from the shop. It was rush hour didnt want to risk having to stop at lights etc. after bed in so I went str8 home and drove easy. This morning I decided to go out and "BED IN" the new setup after following hawks directions and driving the car to let the brakes cool off. I come back to this?... I could be wrong but to me it seems as though these brakes got too hot and some how this rotor is burnt, Im not sure if thats even possible but this doesn't look right. I could be wrong though anyone ever seen this before?.... BTW I contacted Michael (Great person to deal with) he said he would forward the pic to R1 but its the weekend I wont get a response till Monday I just want to see what some of you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!-img_0769.jpg   MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!-img_0770.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you talking about that goldish hue?? do the pads even reach there?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

NM yes the pads reach all the way to the edge........are you sure the pad is completely flat and touching the rotor?? the pads might not be flat yet?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending upon how hard you stand on the brakes during the bed-in, you'll need 3-7 minutes cool down running at 60 mph + (you have to have air flowing over the rotors to cool them) between braking.

The other thing you want to look at is if the caliper(s) are hanging up. If the pad constantly rides against the rotor with pressure they will definitely overheat. The slide pins might need to be lubed.

Either way, once the overheating is corrected, unless the rotors are warped, the discoloration will quickly wear off with use.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

My rotors had a blueish tint after bedding in also. Means you got them hot like you're supposed to. It wore away after a few hundred miles. Very happy with my R1 rotors and Hawk pads
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
NM yes the pads reach all the way to the edge........are you sure the pad is completely flat and touching the rotor?? the pads might not be flat yet?
Yea thats exactly what Im talking about... From what I can see the pad is touching the rotor, should they flatten out over time?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Depending upon how hard you stand on the brakes during the bed-in, you'll need 3-7 minutes cool down running at 60 mph + (you have to have air flowing over the rotors to cool them) between braking.

The other thing you want to look at is if the caliper(s) are hanging up. If the pad constantly rides against the rotor with pressure they will definitely overheat. The slide pins might need to be lubed.

Either way, once the overheating is corrected, unless the rotors are warped, the discoloration will quickly wear off with use.
I pretty sure I gave it enough cooling time it was early in the morning so when I did the process I immediately hit the highway for a cruise without using the brakes its a manual so Im able to downshift when getting off exits etc. I dont think the pads are stuck on the rotor. Ive been dealing with my mechanic for a while he deals with bmw's all the time Im sure he knows how to change break pads. So is what Im seeing overheating or some kind of chemical reaction? or because everything is new?....
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
My rotors had a blueish tint after bedding in also. Means you got them hot like you're supposed to. It wore away after a few hundred miles. Very happy with my R1 rotors and Hawk pads
Im talking about the gold look that they have... How long before your pads felt good when stopping?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Yea thats exactly what Im talking about... From what I can see the pad is touching the rotor, should they flatten out over time?
i remember looking at the new pads and noticing that there were areas that werent touching the rotor, over time the pads will wear flat

I didnt have any discolouration though heres how they looked the day they were installed and bedded!

https://5series.net/forums/vendor-cl...5/#post1458413
Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
i remember looking at the new pads and noticing that there were areas that werent touching the rotor, over time the pads will wear flat

I didnt have any discolouration though heres how they looked the day they were installed and bedded!

https://5series.net/forums/vendor-cl...5/#post1458413
From the looks of your pic the spot you're referring to looks like the same spot thats discolored on mine. Idk I'll wait and see what Michael says. Hopefully its the same problem you had and will iron itself out...

Quick Reply: MAYBE IM PARANOID... But I think something's wrong with my BRAKES!!!