E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Manually installing USB charger for Windshield mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2008
Default Manually installing USB charger for Windshield mount

2008 535i E60 Sport

I have my phone mounted at the top left corner of the windshield and I need to run some power to it, I am constantly using my Google GPS to do network service calls; therefore the battery drains rather quickly. I also stream spotify on my phone as well.

Here is my question...

Has anyone else done something like this that could point me in the right direction as to the best positive and negative wires to tap into?

I thought about running the USB charger to my existing charge port but I am already using that for my Bluetooth. Also I would like for it to charge while the car is off.

Any insight to this before I dive in would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Engine: n54

Well.. first thing I could lend you a hand in .. is your charging. Most likely you have a smaller amperage cigarette charger. In the past it was 1.1amp now 2.1amp will do the trick. Some things like Ipads etc have something crazy like 4.1 amp and you can buy the appropriate charger. In theory you can use the highest amp one you can get, and your device should note the difference in amps. It will heat up more because of the energy load, and it's not always good for your battery.. but all that is always going to happen.

You should be charging faster than your phone plus GPS and spotify running.

I run a cord from under the glove box all the way around to my mount and it works great. As for making the socket live all the time.. I'm not sure if there is any that is live all the time.. plus it really would be bad because you could drain your battery on accident.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Making the phone charge while the ignition is off does not allow the car to go sleep after you turn off the ignition as it senses a power drain. Not only will the charger keep draining the battery while it is charging, the car's electronics never sleep and will definitely drain the battery.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Well.. first thing I could lend you a hand in .. is your charging. Most likely you have a smaller amperage cigarette charger. In the past it was 1.1amp now 2.1amp will do the trick. Some things like Ipads etc have something crazy like 4.1 amp and you can buy the appropriate charger. In theory you can use the highest amp one you can get, and your device should note the difference in amps. It will heat up more because of the energy load, and it's not always good for your battery.. but all that is always going to happen.

You should be charging faster than your phone plus GPS and spotify running.

I run a cord from under the glove box all the way around to my mount and it works great. As for making the socket live all the time.. I'm not sure if there is any that is live all the time.. plus it really would be bad because you could drain your battery on accident.
Ok, I can compromise on the "constant charge" out of fear of draining my battery and not letting the car sleep. It isn't worth it.

You said you ran a cord from under the glove box, which wires did you tap in to? Can you snap a photo for me? I plan to open up a USB cigarette lighter and do a little soldering if I have to.

I have modified all of my previous cars without hesitation; however, this is not an ordinary vehicle and I am going to be very very careful with anything I do to this ultimate driving machine.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
I run a cord from under the glove box all the way around to my mount and it works great.
Nevermind, I just looked and found the cigarette lighter under the glove box. BMW just keeps on amazing me. I will plug into that and run the wire to my desired location. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Engine: n54

Hehe I read the instructions and was very surprised myself to have that there. I ordered a couple dual 2.1 amp chargers off eBay and 10 ft cords and have been happily charging away...
Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 AM
New Members

Just to follow up with everyone. I didn't want just any cigarette adapter because I didn't want my passengers accidentally kicking it so I bought a low profile adapter.

It just came in today it is indeed low profile. It can do an iPod, iPad, and android devices.

2 ports:
2.1A
1A

You can find it
Amazon.com: EZOPower 2-Port 15W 3.1A Output Car Charger Adapter - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: EZOPower 2-Port 15W 3.1A Output Car Charger Adapter - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
if anyone is interested.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

There is an extra cigarette lighter under the glove box? I need to take a look for this on my 04.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Gangplank
There is an extra cigarette lighter under the glove box? I need to take a look for this on my 04.
Most likely. There was one on my old 02 E53 and one of course on my current ride. If you didn't know there is one in the boot on the back panel too.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

There is another option. The flashlight that is in the glove compartment has an adapter. It looks like this: e36-tech.com ? View topic - Replacing the Glove Compartment Flashlight

I don't think it shuts off with the car off. It may cut off after some time, but it doesn't cut off right when you turn the car off.