E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Manual Transmission Guys - Notchy 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012 | 08:20 PM
Members

I'm not sure if the car has been this way since I got it and I'm just noticing it now or if it's a new issue. It's not really an issue, just something I noticed. I digress.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the shifter sometimes feels notchy. It doesn't grind or have a problem engaging the gear; it just doesn't feel as smooth or as easy as other upshifts. This is about half the time and it's generally when I wind out 1st gear a little rather than shifting at a lower rpm. Am I starting to see early signs of synchro failure or is this just standard fare for this transmission?

Also, any recommendations on short shifters?
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:45 AM
New Members

Same "problem" here. I think it's normal.

I had same kind box in Mini, after changing gearbox oil I got perfect gearbox..

I would recommend changing gearbox oil, even dealer don't want to sell you those saying you don't have to change :-)
Old 03-23-2012 | 03:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mike_K
I'm not sure if the car has been this way since I got it and I'm just noticing it now or if it's a new issue. It's not really an issue, just something I noticed. I digress.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the shifter sometimes feels notchy. It doesn't grind or have a problem engaging the gear; it just doesn't feel as smooth or as easy as other upshifts. This is about half the time and it's generally when I wind out 1st gear a little rather than shifting at a lower rpm. Am I starting to see early signs of synchro failure or is this just standard fare for this transmission?

Also, any recommendations on short shifters?
What year - how many miles? Are you a speed shifter or a clutch rider?
Old 03-23-2012 | 06:07 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 530Xit, Ty Silver/Black leather, 6MT, Sport, Cold, Nav, PDC, sport seats, square 18
Model Year: 2007

These aren't the smoothest shifting trannies, so it sounds to me as if yours is normal. I am going to go the route of changing to a new lube like Red Line or Royal Purple (haven't really gotten into the decision process as to the specific lube I'll use) and expect that that will make it smoother, particularly when cold.

Short shifters are hard or impossible to source for this tranny. Best I have found is to just swap the shift knob to the BMW ZHP knob for around $70 and 3 minutes. Surprisingly, it makes a real difference in teh feel and smoothness of shifting. Lots of threads on teh ZHP if you search.
Old 03-23-2012 | 07:12 AM
Members

I always assume I've put the clutch in a bit late and 'pulled' it out of first. That's the only notch I get. Timing into second is definitely the hardest shift to get right though. It can be done, but it's either a quick shift or a jerky one. Seems to me though the higher you run up first the easier it is to quickly pop it into second.

The ZHP short shift knob is nice.
Old 03-23-2012 | 07:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

Same here but I really only notice it occasionally in colder weather (<40F) in my '06 550i.