E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Making a Purchase on 2008 BMW 550i. Price seems reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

You guys kill me. This car is listed for $37,000, down from $38,000 and down $4-6,000 from a comparable car sitting on a BMW dealers lot. You all know that the dealers are pricing them to sell at this time of year - hell they're 2008 cars and they need room for their 2012 new arrivals. Do you think they are pricing them and listing them on autotrader to NOT SELL them? Sure they have some wiggle room in there, but at an average dealer price of $42,000 for a comparable car from a dealer - do you honestly think that $37,000 is overpriced? Get real. Yeah you can negotiate the dealer down to $40 or maybe $39,000, BUT that's still $2-3k above this cars price. AND YOU GET THE SAME THING, REMAINDER OF FACTORY WARRANTY AND TWO YEARS UP TO 100,000 MILES OF CPO COVERAGE.

So who's got the better deal again? Yeah, you can find onsy twosy cars here and there for $30,000, but really, try to find one right now for that and even at that I question why? Really, why? Why sell something that is WORTH $40,000 for $10,000 less than that - what is the logic? Please explain, and don't give me that nice guy bullshit - cause I don't buy it. And don't give me that auction price bullshit - if you want auction pricing go to the freakin' auction and buy one. It's value, it's money, it's business. Seriously, can someone answer that? Would you do it? Why would you do it? maybe someone is in way over their head and need the cash, maybe something illegal going on, who knows, but its NOT the norm. The norm is you sell you car for the most that you can given its value, and value is determined by market right? The market is saying $40k plus for these - I didn't say the auction, I said the market. $37k is a steal.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Members

I think that's a good deal. I bought mine almost identical (mine is carbon black) about 16 months ago for $42k. I have seen used modified ones on here for less which is always a little depressing but so be it. Piece of mind with CPO and a great low mileage car that will last you many years.

BTW, awesome choice on the car. IMO, better daily than the M5 with better transmission and still plenty fast. RPI exhaust is a great item included, wish I had a grand laying around to get one!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Originally Posted by JoshLee89
Also how is RPI exhaust? Is it too loud?

Not loud at all - it's awesome - however, I do have a drone at around 1500-1800rpm which can get awfully annoying. That is my only complaint with the RPI exhaust.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Members

37k again is okay but don't forget you are now the 3rd owner. That has value when YOU go to sell it as then the next person is the 4th owner. These things are moving for 37k. Dealers mark high and hope to sell high. I guarantee that if you call all the ones listed under $40k you will be in this same price point and be the 2nd owner not the third. This is a horrible time of year to move inventory with the holidays upon us and most companies not hiring until the first qtr of the following year. Many 4 year leases are coming up now and into early next year which means more inventory which means better pricing. Anyone unwilling to negotiate in this market is crazy and that price is good but certainly not great and certainly not the deal everyone ultimately brags about but if you are comfortable in the car and the investment go for it.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Eloise550i
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Not loud at all - it's awesome - however, I do have a drone at around 1500-1800rpm which can get awfully annoying. That is my only complaint with the RPI exhaust.
RPI makes an insert for the exhaust pipe that COMPLETELY removes the drone, and I should know, I'm running it that way myself! Call Eloy today, it's only $30 - 40 too!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by Cecilt
37k again is okay but don't forget you are now the 3rd owner. That has value when YOU go to sell it as then the next person is the 4th owner. These things are moving for 37k. Dealers mark high and hope to sell high. I guarantee that if you call all the ones listed under $40k you will be in this same price point and be the 2nd owner not the third. This is a horrible time of year to move inventory with the holidays upon us and most companies not hiring until the first qtr of the following year. Many 4 year leases are coming up now and into early next year which means more inventory which means better pricing. Anyone unwilling to negotiate in this market is crazy and that price is good but certainly not great and certainly not the deal everyone ultimately brags about but if you are comfortable in the car and the investment go for it.
so now we're talking selling a car that he didn't even buy yet? Are you for real?! If someone buys then later decides to sell, it will sell at market value, what someone else is willing to pay. And really, who cares if you are the first or second or third or forth buyer if the car is still under factory warranty and covered by CPO beyond that? What is the risk? The real risk, in my opinion, is mileage and warranty/CPO coverage. That is what will bring the price down. High mileage - less expensive. No warranty - less expensive. No CPO - less expensive. No free maintenance for at least a few months - less expensive. More than two owners, with a clean maintenance record, clean service record, low mileage, free maintenance for over half a year, factory warranty and CPO coverage - negligible price difference. Again, IMHO, and I respect yours, but damn, some saying that $37 isn't a good deal for a 2008 550i with less than 35,000 miles and full factory warranty, free maintenance and CPO up to 100,000 miles or two additional years is just downright not in touch with reality. So here's to all us 550i owners out there - god damnit, these are high end cars and they are worth money. We paid for them, right? And we paid a premium for a premium car. Why do some on here think that we should sell them below premium used car rates? I just don't understand. Are we suppose to give them away?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
RPI makes an insert for the exhaust pipe that COMPLETELY removes the drone, and I should know, I'm running it that way myself! Call Eloy today, it's only $30 - 40 too!

Thanks! Will I have to cut anything?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Eloise550i
Thanks! Will I have to cut anything?
Nope, you will however have to drill one hole in a tailpipe, and then bolt it in (not difficult at all) afterward, get some black high temp spray paint and paint it so it won't show up in the tailpipe! I have also included a link to the M5 Board which shows in detail how to do this! Remember, you can put a silencer in each of the tailpipes if you want to, but I just did one and have NO DRONE whatsoever! Nothing but pure RPI music from the exhaust!

Link to RPI Silencer install

Let me know how it goes!!

SORRY FOR THE THREADJACK, WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE THREAD ALREADY UNDERWAY!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Members

Thanks!