E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Making Changes to the E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

I'd like to see the face level ventilation adjusters illumiated like in my old A6. In the dark you cannot see where they are at all let alone adjust them. The Audi had all the gradations marked as well which I think was a nice luxury touch that my 5 series could do with.

As the previous comment I agree that the steering wheel feels too hard, could do with more cushioning or softer and thicker leather matrial.

The dials get obsurred as well with my standard wheel and so I guess it would be even worse with the smaller diameter sports wheel.

Is it me or do BMW alloys get caked in brake dust much more than any other manufactuer? I have to say the stopping power of the car is phenomenal and so I guess the pads are very efficient but surely they could make them cleaner. I don't spend all my time slamming on the brakes but after only one short trip with gleaming alloys they are dirty already. I'm having to wash them at least twice a week to avoid the dust starting to eat into the laquer.

It's a shame as well that in Europe we can't yet have the staged brake light feature which I think is a major safety step forward. Is it Brussels again dragging their feet on such an obvious safety advance feature and not yet approving their use or is it just the UK, I'm not sure??

Anyway I think they are the main points on what is otherwise a great car which I'm very pleased with.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='107998' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:34 AM
If you don't follow trucks too closely, paint chips are not a problem. I drive on highway every day, and don't have any chips.
U are very lucky and no way that you car will not have chips on it
Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

for my list

1. The useless headrest
2. A japanese design cup houlders, they are much better.
3. Better and more boot lights.
4. Hybrid engine. we need to go green!!!
5. A up to date looks for the rev and speedo counter.Looks like the 90s. like the japanese cars.
6. A builtin Xbox360 with LCD TV
7. A internet so I can post stuff on E60 forum
8. A better subwoofer.

I think thats it for now
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

My List:
  • Diesels for the USA ? I would my eye teeth for a 530d or better yet a 535d.
  • A real Sport Package with Active Roll Stabilization for the X-drive cars, especially the 530xiT ? just because it's a wagon doesn't mean it's a Mommy car. Hey ? there is an M5 Touring in the offing!
  • More than 256 possible playlists for the iPod interface. This issue results from the carryover the CD changer's programming ? who could imagine a CD with more than 256 folders ? well a 60 GB 'CD' otherwise known as an iPod can easily exceed that number. Fix it!
  • Better high beams with the Xenon Adaptive Headlights for the USA. The high beams are great in the Eastern US and the suburbs ? but on Western roads (read empty) one easily can out drive the lights. Bring back the center high beam lights) now relegated to DRLs and flashing) with a 10-to-15 degree beam to use on such empty roads.
  • A faster CPU for the CCC ? maybe I am used to a PC ? but the response time from iDrive input to action on the screen is just too slow.
  • A more intuitive iDrive menu system and a MUCH better manual. Perhaps BMW could get the folks that brought us Word for Dummies to write iDrive for Dummies.
  • An option in I-drive that turns the headlights on automatically when the automatic windshield wipers are running.

Well that's my start. I still think my 530xiT is a great car ? it just could be better.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

For the record my list:-
1. RHD wipers on RHD cars
2. 12V socket standard in boot / trunk
3. Adaptors for different phones for phone kit
4. Sunglass compartment (like E-Class)
5. Better std. Air-Con (present system poor for expensive car) with seperate controls for front passenger
6. Full sun roof
7. I-drive screen that you can turn-off back-light
8. programmeable indicators (3 flashes not enough to change lanes)