5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Major vibration/shuttering after alignment/single tire replacement (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/major-vibration-shuttering-after-alignment-single-tire-replacement-64837/)

brianstash 11-06-2008 07:46 AM

When I bought my car in December it had 3 Riken Raptors and 1 Dunlop on the front left. The Raptors look pretty new and still have the little things sticking out of the side walls...

Well after my latest oil change the singe Dunlop on the front left show the steel belts on the inside of the tire.

Bought a brand new Riken online and had Sears AutoCenter(for a simple tire change) replace the tire, put the new tire on the right rear, and do a alignment. (Which they talked me into.) (There was NO vibration before I did any of this.)

Now the car is vibrating like crazy. I have the print out from Sears showing the E60 specs for aligment and they made some adjustments to the left side.

What did they do and what do you think the problem is? I'm taking it back to Sears this afternoon.

Ricracing 11-06-2008 07:52 AM

3 Riken's and one Dunlop?? Sears and BMW?

Good luck.

The chain brakes always at the most frailty spot.

brianstash 11-06-2008 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='713831' date='Nov 6 2008, 11:52 AM
3 Riken's and one Dunlop?? Sears and BMW?

Good luck.

The chain brakes always at the most frailty spot.

I've read nothing but great things about Riken... made my Michelin. Unfortunatly my car was purchased with these tires on it. Aren't tires and alignment very simple things? I really just went in for the single tire to be replaced but they put the directional tires on wrong. So I went back and got that fixed and added a alignment. This stuff shouldn't be rocket science, the dealer is TOO expensive. (I know then I shouldn't own the car.... hopefully this doesn't teach me a lesson.)

Can someone please give me some advise.

BlaSTiWi 11-06-2008 08:15 AM

Did they use Hunter Road Force equipment for balancing? Hunter Road Force will simulate real world condition.
I'm leaning toward the balancing problem as oppose to alignment issue.

DrLev99 11-06-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='713854' date='Nov 6 2008, 12:15 PM
Did they use Hunter Road Force equipment for balancing? Hunter Road Force will simulate real world condition.
I'm leaning toward the balancing problem as oppose to alignment issue.

+1.....need all 4 balanced with the above. And spend some extra at a dealership. I wouldn't let Sears touch that car!

brianstash 11-06-2008 06:03 PM

Well, before I had to read what you all just said I went back to Sears. They balanced all 4 tires and it seemed to have fixed the issue. You all are very right!

I've read good things about these Riken's... I always put Michelin's on my cars as well. Got 90k out of a set on my Hyundai Sonata. I just don't want to throw away perfectly good tires!

I doubt Sears does road force balancing. They said I had a slightly bent rim... don't all rims get bent after some time?