E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Maintenance Question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Hey guys my maintenance warranty was over now in November, so I don't think I'll be taking my car to the dealer for the free oil changes.

Now since I would either be doing the changes myself, or taking it somewhere, here are my questions:

1. What is the best type or brand of synthetic oil to use on a 530i, I6 3.0 L engine?
2. I know Ill have to change the filter every time as well, so is there any kind of "performance" oil filter that I can use? That would of course make my car perform better.
3. How often should I change the oil?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Here's my $0.02 FWIW...

I use full synthetic Castrol 5W30

If you have a BMWCCA membership, the oil filter is actually cheapest at your local dealer's parts counter.
(You can probably get one through AutoZone etc., but it doesn't come with a new o-ring or drain plug washer)

I change my oil every 7,500. One myself and one free maintenance through BMW.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Not performance, but getbmwparts.com sells the OEM oil with filter packages. Bavauto.com sells oil change kit\packages as well that includes the pan and tools needed to do the job.

I think the manual says to change the oil every 15K. However it depends on your commute. My daily commute is only about 5 miles one way and typically get under to about 10K per year so I would change my oil annually.

Balbs
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

From what I've heard I guess i can:

Change oil every 8,000 miles.
Use either Mobil 1, or Castrol synthetic.

They should have any of these at any auto parts, right? And where can I find how many quartz of oil does my car need?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

since you're in the US, you need to be picky about which oil you get from castrol. they only sell 0w30 that is made in germany. 5w30 or 10w30 viscosity is made in the US. keep in mind the castrol made in germany is significantly different from the US version of the same oil, and is far superior as well. do not use castrol that is made in the US. also, 0w30 is thicker than you might think, so the 0w30 is ample. autozone is the only place i know of that actually carries the castrol made in germany.

i've been following oil analyses for several years. you can check out some info at bobistheoilguy.com if you are curious. castrol syntec made from germany is in the top 3 of best oils you can use for your car, not to mention i'm fairly certain it is what bmw uses anyway. the 2nd OTC choice would not be mobil 1, but if you do use it, i would recommend 0w40 weight. viscosity is confusing, but is definitely not a universal measurement between brands unfortunately. if you have trouble following, i would strongly recommend reading up on BITOG.

OTC oils, in order of best to good:

1. Castrol Syntec 0w30 German made only
2. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
3. Mobil One 0w40
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
since you're in the US, you need to be picky about which oil you get from castrol. they only sell 0w30 that is made in germany. 5w30 or 10w30 viscosity is made in the US. keep in mind the castrol made in germany is significantly different from the US version of the same oil, and is far superior as well. do not use castrol that is made in the US. also, 0w30 is thicker than you might think, so the 0w30 is ample. autozone is the only place i know of that actually carries the castrol made in germany.

i've been following oil analyses for several years. you can check out some info at bobistheoilguy.com if you are curious. castrol syntec made from germany is in the top 3 of best oils you can use for your car, not to mention i'm fairly certain it is what bmw uses anyway. the 2nd OTC choice would not be mobil 1, but if you do use it, i would recommend 0w40 weight. viscosity is confusing, but is definitely not a universal measurement between brands unfortunately. if you have trouble following, i would strongly recommend reading up on BITOG.

OTC oils, in order of best to good:

1. Castrol Syntec 0w30 German made only
2. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
3. Mobil One 0w40
Ok thanks a lot man. This surely helped.

Does any one know from the top of their heads how many quartz of oil do I need? lol....
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

i don't know (still under warranty), but i bet it is in your owner's manual?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

I fully understand the DIY for oil service. And with the right tools and exercising proper care it can be both easy and more economical. EXCEPT ... when a dealer runs (or will agree to honoring other BMW dealer coupons.) Like this one:

http://www.shellybmw...ange/placentia/

No matter how you look at it - $99 for a BMW Oil service + replacement of cabin air filters is a bargain! And this one had NO exclusions or fine print.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I fully understand the DIY for oil service. And with the right tools and exercising proper care it can be both easy and more economical. EXCEPT ... when a dealer runs (or will agree to honoring other BMW dealer coupons.) Like this one:

http://www.shellybmw...ange/placentia/

No matter how you look at it - $99 for a BMW Oil service + replacement of cabin air filters is a bargain! And this one had NO exclusions or fine print.
that's great dude. but the guy lives in FL, not CA. just a guess but i don't think the drive would be worth it.