E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Machine Has Finally Landed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Today I finally collected my brand new E60 525d M-Sport (LCI) M57 3.0d. The car is first class and seems to get better everytime I look at it / drive it / find another cool gadget.....

This is my first BMW and my complete buying experience has been very good, and I must say my dealer has been excellent!

Here are a few initial pictures that I took earlier but I don't yet have any of the interior - I will post these during the next few days!

For the record the car does not have the HGSL (as expected), but more strangely it does not have the 'M Sport' gear lever knob - the standard SE one has been fitted (this car has a manual gearbox). Everything else is there as expected. Dealer is going to look into the HGSL thing and has ordered an 'M Sport' gear lever knob and will retrofit in the next week or so.

A quick question for any E60 owners with manual gearboxes: I have noticed that there seems to be a small amount of resonating / minor vibration coming up the clutch pedal (when fully depressed) whilst stationary. Not sure if this is a characteristic of the car or if this is a fault. At the end of the day this is very minor, but I am surprised to feel any minor vibrations in this way coming up the pedal. Never had this from any of my other (non BMW) cars. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Looks great Palmo -- congratulations!

I have one small question about the interior door storage pockets -- Are they lined with any type of padding/carpeting/felt or are they just plastic inside and out? (I keep a large set of keys in the door and once when I had an E90 loaner, they slid around in there constantly and made a terrible (and annoying) noise.

Hopefully they treated the E60 as a little more "upscale" and finished off the inside of the pockets!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looks good. congrats and enjoy
Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Palmo

Looks like the rain held off for you mate

Your car looks great, sorry to hear about the gearstick, easy fix there though, let me know how you go with the HGSL, should be interesting, I've heard nothing from my dealer so far this week.

Rudy

The door pockets are moulded plastic, they do have a carpet type lining but this is only on the hidden upright, my keys don't rattle but i can see where you may have an irritating problem.

MORE PICS PALMO.... BEFORE SHE GETS TO DIRTY
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Congrats palmo, very nice !
I understand the 172's are standard on your model ?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Update & First Impressions

Today I have been on a longish run with the car (work related) - it's done 350 miles already and is averaging 44 mpg - mainly motorway but a mix of town and A roads also! The good news is regarding the resonating / minor vibration coming up the clutch pedal that I mentioned in my first post. This has now completely gone. It seemed to vanish after approx. 100 miles. This leads me to wonder if the engine was idling slightly on the rough side prior to getting any miles under it's back - although this couldn't be detected otherwise in the car - who knows? Something maybe that needed to 'bed-in'? Anyway, it's definately gone! I will need to keep an eye out for this returning although I very much doubt it.

The engine tone is fabulous for a diesel engine and is very refined as expected. Whilst I have not driven the car hard it feels to pull very well especially from low down and the gearing (I have the manual gearbox) seems to be well suited to the engine - 70 mph is approx 1800 rpm which makes for very relaxing motorway driving. Ride quality is very acceptable in terms of comfort with the M-Sport suspension and non RFT 19's IMHO whilst providing a very responsive and sporty feel. I had feared that the car may tramline to a certain extent due to the size of the 19's (Front 245/35/19, Rear 275/30/19) but this is not the case. Brakes seem to be very well weighted with just the right amount of assistance for my liking.

On the downside, the paint finish, as with every car I have seen in the BMW showroom, is very 'orange peely' when looking from the right angle which I think is a little dissappointing, but I think a lot of modern paint finishes are going this way by many manufacturers. The boot and bonnet are quite difficult to 'click' shut due to the lightness of these panels, both needing a firm pull downwards to shut first time without having to physically handle the panels to press shut which I am trying to avoid - I guess this adds towards the relative low weight of the car for it's size, which in turn leads to the excellent fuel economy.

Will post more thoughts as I drive the car further!

e60scotland
The rain did indeed hold off initially although I did get caught later in the evening (after the inital pictures were taken). As I have been out all day I haven't had any chance to get any more pics and the car is now filthy! I plan on having a full day on Sunday Cleaning / Detailing Inside & Out. I also have a pair of mudflaps to fit to try and protect the paint and keep it clean for as long as possible (easier said than done with black). I will therefore post some more pictures of the exterior on Sunday evening after I have done this. I will however try and post a few interior shots tomorrow.

Rudy
As e60scotland has already said, the door pockets are moulded plastic which only has a carpet type covering on the hidden upright, although the pocket area does have a handy divider which should stop things sliding too far backwards & forwards.

andy545
The 172M alloy's are not standard, they are an optional extra (?770 in the UK) - the car comes standard with the 18" 135M wheels fitted with RFT's.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='417828' date='Apr 26 2007, 12:07 AM
Update & First Impressions

Today I have been on a longish run with the car (work related) - it's done 350 miles already and is averaging 44 mpg - mainly motorway but a mix of town and A roads also! The good news is regarding the resonating / minor vibration coming up the clutch pedal that I mentioned in my first post. This has now completely gone. It seemed to vanish after approx. 100 miles. This leads me to wonder if the engine was idling slightly on the rough side prior to getting any miles under it's back - although this couldn't be detected otherwise in the car - who knows? Something maybe that needed to 'bed-in'? Anyway, it's definately gone! I will need to keep an eye out for this returning although I very much doubt it.

The engine tone is fabulous for a diesel engine and is very refined as expected. Whilst I have not driven the car hard it feels to pull very well especially from low down and the gearing (I have the manual gearbox) seems to be well suited to the engine - 70 mph is approx 1800 rpm which makes for very relaxing motorway driving. Ride quality is very acceptable in terms of comfort with the M-Sport suspension and non RFT 19's IMHO whilst providing a very responsive and sporty feel. I had feared that the car may tramline to a certain extent due to the size of the 19's (Front 245/35/19, Rear 275/30/19) but this is not the case. Brakes seem to be very well weighted with just the right amount of assistance for my liking.

On the downside, the paint finish, as with every car I have seen in the BMW showroom, is very 'orange peely' when looking from the right angle which I think is a little dissappointing, but I think a lot of modern paint finishes are going this way by many manufacturers. The boot and bonnet are quite difficult to 'click' shut due to the lightness of these panels, both needing a firm pull downwards to shut first time without having to physically handle the panels to press shut which I am trying to avoid - I guess this adds towards the relative low weight of the car for it's size, which in turn leads to the excellent fuel economy.

Will post more thoughts as I drive the car further!

e60scotland
The rain did indeed hold off initially although I did get caught later in the evening (after the inital pictures were taken). As I have been out all day I haven't had any chance to get any more pics and the car is now filthy! I plan on having a full day on Sunday Cleaning / Detailing Inside & Out. I also have a pair of mudflaps to fit to try and protect the paint and keep it clean for as long as possible (easier said than done with black). I will therefore post some more pictures of the exterior on Sunday evening after I have done this. I will however try and post a few interior shots tomorrow.

Rudy
As e60scotland has already said, the door pockets are moulded plastic which only has a carpet type covering on the hidden upright, although the pocket area does have a handy divider which should stop things sliding too far backwards & forwards.

andy545
The 172M alloy's are not standard, they are an optional extra (?770 in the UK) - the car comes standard with the 18" 135M wheels fitted with RFT's.
Mudflaps

The bonnet and boot lids will ease up too, you'll find in no time you'll be able to pull down the boot lid from the inside handle to close without any heavy handed tactics , my mpg is around the same as yours which i feel very acceptable given i average 80mph on the motorway.

Last night we drove north to Blackpool ( wife had never been there, now never wants to return ) i ran as low as 8mls on reserve then brimmed the tank, it took ?64, I couldn't believe the computer on the way back to St Helens, It read 711 on the range, I set the cruise to 70mph and covered 48 miles only skimming 11 miles of the range ( i know it's an average and changes as it's calculated by many factors), I just love this car though as i used to brim the 745 for ?80 and get around 400 miles.

Another quick thing i've noticed is the numbers of people checking out the lights front and rear, BMW got these LED's spot on, they are not to blingy and not to old school.

Happy Motoring Palmo.... i just know were gonna be on a par with mileage real soon at the rate your going
Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='417983' date='Apr 26 2007, 06:58 AM
Last night we drove north to Blackpool ( wife had never been there, now never wants to return ) i ran as low as 8mls on reserve then brimmed the tank, it took ?64, I couldn't believe the computer on the way back to St Helens, It read 711 on the range, I set the cruise to 70mph and covered 48 miles only skimming 11 miles of the range ( i know it's an average and changes as it's calculated by many factors), I just love this car though as i used to brim the 745 for ?80 and get around 400 miles.

Another quick thing i've noticed is the numbers of people checking out the lights front and rear, BMW got these LED's spot on, they are not to blingy and not to old school.
I find a better way of looking at how I'm "doing" on a tankful is to add the distance already travelled to the range - and see how that varies and what is predicted for the TANKFUL.

As for the front lights on the LCI, it's not "sour grapes", but I can't see a real difference - or at least I haven't looked hard enough I guess.

ABC
Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='417983' date='Apr 26 2007, 06:58 AM
Mudflaps

The bonnet and boot lids will ease up too, you'll find in no time you'll be able to pull down the boot lid from the inside handle to close without any heavy handed tactics , my mpg is around the same as yours which i feel very acceptable given i average 80mph on the motorway.

Happy Motoring Palmo.... i just know were gonna be on a par with mileage real soon at the rate your going
Regarding the mudflaps - they are ?35 a pair so ?70 in total. They look quite neat and are shaped to mould into the body work. I picked these up from the dealers when I got the car (had them pre-ordered). My experiences are that mudflaps not only reduce the amount of dirt getting sprayed up the sides of the car (anything to help when having a black car) but also significantly help in reducing stone chips up the sides and on the wheel arch lips - this, I have found is an even bigger isses when bigger wheels are fitted. I'll post some pics on Sunday when they are fitted.

The bonnet & boot being tight are not a real issue - just that I am finding it takes 2 - 3 attempts in particular to close the boot by pulling down on the inside handle(s) to close. It doesn't feel right then having resort to 'heavy handed tactics' to ensure it closes.

MPG wise this is excellent. Would have to say that my 44 mpg achieved over the 350 miles so far, would be in reality much, much higher on the motorway, as I sat queing for ages yesterday at two different times and have probably done 50 miles or so on A roads over the moors that have hairpin bends and require lots of speeding up and slowing down. Overall it's an excellent first indication. Certainly beats the 20 mpg average of my last car!

In terms of my mileage, this varies significantly from week to week. On a busy week I could easily do 1500 miles +. However, this could then be followed with a few weeks of only 200 - 300. I am hoping to keep the miles to approx. 20K per yr going foward.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='418036' date='Apr 26 2007, 09:50 AM
MPG wise this is excellent. Would have to say that my 44 mpg achieved over the 350 miles so far...
Economy is always a tradeoff against performance.

You pays your money.... and keep paying!

ABC

Quick Reply: The Machine Has Finally Landed!