E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

I have one of the first E60 M Sport 525d delivered in the UK and while I knew the suspension would be tough I had no idea it would be as tough as it is. I can't take rear seat passengers as its impossible for them to remain seated even driving on the highway. On contacting BMW they offered a loan newer model as a comparison and Ive found a marked improvement in the ride quality. Has anyone experienced similar issues with their M Sport?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

I suspect you are on run flats?

If so, buy a space saver, and change the runflats to standard tyres; the ride becomes what you would expect from the 5 series with sport suspension - compliant, firm etc etc, but not bone shaking and not jittery - road noise is dramatically reduced, and tyre life is greatly improved.

One other thing, but I can't believe the dealer would have done this - make sure the dealer removed the shipping chocks from the suspension when they carried out the PDI - there's some other threads here where its not unknown for them to have been left in, have alook at these threads, the first one has pictures...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24592
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...shipping+blocks
Old 06-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Members

My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='300521' date='Jun 20 2006, 11:28 PM
I suspect you are on run flats?

If so, buy a space saver, and change the runflats to standard tyres; the ride becomes what you would expect from the 5 series with sport suspension - compliant, firm etc etc, but not bone shaking and not jittery - road noise is dramatically reduced, and tyre life is greatly improved.
Yes the cars on run flats although I've been told by BMW that changing the tyres would be very very bad. I ve been told that to switch the tyres I would have to change the wheels too as they were designed for run flats. I was then told that the suspension is setup for run flats and if I were to change the wheels / tyres they wouldn't honour the warranty. The car they loaned me was on run flats too and the ride was so much smoother than mine!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Hmmm...I know that BMW don't want customers changing over to standard tyres - one might suspect that they don't want to upset the tyre manufacturers - but to say it affects the warranty is unbelievable.

If you buy the 19" rims, then you can't have runflats...and BMW will happily sell you the 19" rims and a new set of none run flat tyres as an after market upgrade...so how can it affect the warranty? I would ask them to put it in writing that the warranty will be voided if you fit non-run flat tyres. I wouldn't take a bet that they will refuse.

In my case, I asked the dealer to do the change as part of the PDI...believe me, the difference is amazing. The rims are absolutely no problem for standard tyres.

However, if you've tried another M Sport E60 - and assuming that wasn't on the 19" rims - then I really would check for those shipping blocks being removed!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My car came with 18" wheels and runflats.

I changed to Michelin Pilot PS2 tires, and it was the single greatest thing I could have done to improve my car. The ride is SO much smoother.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='300524' date='Jun 20 2006, 11:33 PM
Yes the cars on run flats although I've been told by BMW that changing the tyres would be very very bad. I ve been told that to switch the tyres I would have to change the wheels too as they were designed for run flats. I was then told that the suspension is setup for run flats and if I were to change the wheels / tyres they wouldn't honour the warranty. The car they loaned me was on run flats too and the ride was so much smoother than mine!
'I've been told by BMW that changing the tyres would be very very bad. I ve been told that to switch the tyres I would have to change the wheels too as they were designed for run flats.'

Crap I'll bet he sold you tyre insurance as well. I'd take him to task on this one what a liar
Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='300524' date='Jun 20 2006, 11:33 PM
This varies from dealer to dealer.

The wheels are designed for run-flats in that they have an additional (read additional!) hump to keep the tyre on the rim when it's deflated. 'Normal' tyres fit just fine. It's the other way round that you shouldn't do!

AFAIK the suspension hasn't been tweaked recently (Well since the M Sport models) so it was probably running on a different make of tyre.

In regards to the suspension being setup for runflats this does hold some weight but ask them about the factory style 172 wheels that don't come with runflats...

The bottom line is that the car works just fine with normal tyres as hundreds will tell you on this forum... Depends what they mean about honouring warranty? (If the engine popped would they wipe their hands? I don't think they could somehow...)

My dealer quite happily replaced my runflats and understood the rationale. The best 'approved' option is to tick the style 172 option from new...

The ride is transformed. The thumpiness is lost and the ride is smooth as silk. Tramlining is virtually eliminated and they seem to be wearing really well. (Last set of Dunlop DSST's lasted only 15k miles!)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I have both RFT and M-sport but I'm very satisfied with the ride comfort.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='300524' date='Jun 21 2006, 01:33 AM
Yes the cars on run flats although I've been told by BMW that changing the tyres would be very very bad. I ve been told that to switch the tyres I would have to change the wheels too as they were designed for run flats. I was then told that the suspension is setup for run flats and if I were to change the wheels / tyres they wouldn't honour the warranty.
That is a load of bulls**t!!!

How can a BMW dealer be so stupid?

Just buy new non RF tyres.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: SOON-TO-RIDE: 530d Havana/Oyster - Exclusive Plus pack... SOLD: 530d Touring - M Sport Package - Carbon Black - Amethyst Leather - Navigation - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit inserts - Comfort access - Dark rear windows - Advanced Airco - Bluetooth - Adaptive Bi-Xenon - Storage pack - Light pack - Logic 7 ETA: early June SOLD: Mini Cooper S - Dark Gray /White - black leather - JCW 18" Rims - Sunroof - Chili Pack

Maybe worth checking the following:

when car is delivered it has some riser blocks fitted so they can drive the car down from the truck. It may happens they forget to remove these elements... the problem is they are damn hard so... have a chack with your dealer. I was told by my dealer this happens...

My 2 cents.