E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M-Sport Steering Wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pre 9/05 2006 525i, non-sport with heated steering. Does anyone know if you can install an M-Sport wheel on a car that has a heated wheel? I know the M-Sport wheel does not have heating elements, but I don't care about that feature (I live in Miami ). I just need to know if there would be any compatibility issues (other than losing the heat feature).

Also, is the leather on the M-sport wheel any different than the Sport and non-spot wheels? Is it textured or smooth? What about the thickness of the wheel? How does it compare to the normal sport wheel?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1066038' date='Dec 1 2009, 09:16 PM
I have a pre 9/05 2006 525i, non-sport with heated steering. Does anyone know if you can install an M-Sport wheel on a car that has a heated wheel? I know the M-Sport wheel does not have heating elements, but I don't care about that feature (I live in Miami ). I just need to know if there would be any compatibility issues (other than losing the heat feature).

Also, is the leather on the M-sport wheel any different than the Sport and non-spot wheels? Is it textured or smooth? What about the thickness of the wheel? How does it compare to the normal sport wheel?

Thanks!
Don't want to weigh in on your 'compatibility issues' question since I don't know for sure, but the M-sport wheel is, in fact, heated. Apparently it's not on the 3-series but is on the 5-series if you also get the cold weather package. That may have been a recent change though. The M-sport wheel is considerably thicker and has a very nice "grippy" feel to it. While I really like it, the wheel and airbag will set you back at least $1000 even on eBay. Not sure it's worth that kind of change.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Not worth the money.
The airbag sets the price off CRAZY.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DanL' post='1066080' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:22 PM
Don't want to weigh in on your 'compatibility issues' question since I don't know for sure, but the M-sport wheel is, in fact, heated. Apparently it's not on the 3-series but is on the 5-series if you also get the cold weather package. That may have been a recent change though. The M-sport wheel is considerably thicker and has a very nice "grippy" feel to it. While I really like it, the wheel and airbag will set you back at least $1000 even on eBay. Not sure it's worth that kind of change.
The pre-lci m-sport wheels were not heated. I agree that $1000 is a lot for a wheel. However, since I have my hands on the wheel for a couple hours a day, I think it might be worth it for me.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d

I don't know about the heating, but I changed from a Sport to and M Sport wheel last week. Used Anzafin's DIY BTW. The leather on the M Sport wheel is smoother and softer than the normal sport wheel - Has less "macro" texture and more "micro" texture if you can figure out what I mean. M Sport rim is thicker but quite a different shape and of course with thumbgrips. Definitely feels nicer to use, and as a lot of the feel/feedback you get from your car is thru the steering wheel it's definitely worth doing if you enjoy driving.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I did this mod myself And learned more than I ever wanted to know a out e60 steering wheels. You need a pre. 9/05 wheel which I believe someone has for sale in the classified forum...someone has successfully put a post into a pre but it looked liked a pita. The pre round airbags are extremely hard to find...u can use a post round airbag but have to buy a new mounting plate and rearrange some wiring(that's what I did). There are some good writeups if u search. Good luck! W
Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Contributors

I've done the same mode based on the DIY instructions on this forum. It cost me ?250 for a second hand airbag and ?120 for the steering wheel both in excellent condition. If it's worth it ? Most definately for looks and functionality. The msport is thicker and i think abit smaller. It does change the feeling and feedback while driving.

As lospice said you need pre-09/05 airbag and steering wheel. Funny enough i've found it easier to locate a pre 09/05 airbag and post 09/05 wheel! Why i don't know. Try to buy it from the ebay UK, they're afew at the moment, i bet you can get an air bag for around the ?200 mark. No offence to anyone but the US prices are insanly high
Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Just a small remark. The US spec may have heated steering wheel, but eg in Europe that's an option.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lospice1' post='1066197' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:41 AM
I did this mod myself And learned more than I ever wanted to know a out e60 steering wheels. You need a pre. 9/05 wheel which I believe someone has for sale in the classified forum...someone has successfully put a post into a pre but it looked liked a pita. The pre round airbags are extremely hard to find...u can use a post round airbag but have to buy a new mounting plate and rearrange some wiring(that's what I did). There are some good writeups if u search. Good luck! W
I am aware of the DIYs and the pre 9/05 issues, but my question is mainly about the heated steering issue. Did your car have heated steering? If so, did you have any issues since the M-Sport wheel doesnt have heating elements? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I did not have the cold package, so I didn't have a heated steering wheel to begin with. GL w

Quick Reply: M-Sport Steering Wheel questions