E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M-sport E70 X5!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I have always cherished BMW and what it stands for. An so I felt a little let down by the new generation of BMWs starting with the E65 745 which IMHO have clearly tampered with the time honored BMW ride/handling balance and tipped the scales in favor of luxury to the detriment of sport. I still am at a loss to explain why the only 5 series with track tuned suspension available in the U.S. costs almost $100k and gets 11mpg, when in other markets even the diesel 5s are offered with optional M suspension. Now, BMW is set to offer an X5 M-sport? It seems like a plausible replacement for the departed E53 X5 4.8is. I drove the new 4.8 with 19 inch wheels and the sport package and it was not that stiff.

My point: Other car manufacturers have always been scrutenized and criticized for their sport packages that were for asthetics only. BMW was the conspicuous exception. Is that still true? My 07' 550 sport is about as hard edged as a spoon. Is BMW going soft? Maybe Steve Dinan bribed a few board members to create an artificial market for his tuning products (joke).

Seriously though, shouldn't a standard BMW be firm, a sport package BMW be very very firm and an M-sport essentially track ready? Now its more like, standard car = not lose, sport pack. = firm and M-sport oops - this level of tune not avail. in the U.S. for non M-cars!

Does anyone agree/disagree with me?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Touring, pro nav, Logic7, leather, 18 inch, steptronic

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='432075' date='Jun 5 2007, 06:07 PM
I have always cherished BMW and what it stands for. An so I felt a little let down by the new generation of BMWs starting with the E65 745 which IMHO have clearly tampered with the time honored BMW ride/handling balance and tipped the scales in favor of luxury to the detriment of sport. I still am at a loss to explain why the only 5 series with track tuned suspension available in the U.S. costs almost $100k and gets 11mpg, when in other markets even the diesel 5s are offered with optional M suspension. Now, BMW is set to offer an X5 M-sport? It seems like a plausible replacement for the departed E53 X5 4.8is. I drove the new 4.8 with 19 inch wheels and the sport package and it was not that stiff.

My point: Other car manufacturers have always been scrutenized and criticized for their sport packages that were for asthetics only. BMW was the conspicuous exception. Is that still true? My 07' 550 sport is about as hard edged as a spoon. Is BMW going soft? Maybe Steve Dinan bribed a few board members to create an artificial market for his tuning products (joke).

Seriously though, shouldn't a standard BMW be firm, a sport package BMW be very very firm and an M-sport essentially track ready? Now its more like, standard car = not lose, sport pack. = firm and M-sport oops - this level of tune not avail. in the U.S. for non M-cars!

Does anyone agree/disagree with me?
Didn't know about that.. My 530d touring has sport suspensions and they are just perfect
Old 06-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

As a driver, I agree and I've commented on it before.

However, if I was a BMW shareholder, I suppose I'd be happy about BMW's move toward the center. It sells more cars and it makes more money. The unfortunate facts of capitalist life.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned

Well I have to disagree with your logic and not sure if you are in US-I assume so but if you look at the thread with the demographic of e60 owners with that being a 50sih year old guy-I just cannot see that many of them make it to the track nor ever drive in a situation where the tuned suspension would provide any benefit in driving v. the sport tuned suspension. Which would make sense why this would not be an option to americans if it cost bmw more to offer these further options here and maybe it would with them having to stock certain number of m-sports etc

BUT I cannot see HOw this costs bmw any more to offer americans what they offer europeans in terms of engine size and packages considering we request and build a car in the same factors as Euros get theres-So its not like its any harder to slap an M-suspension kit onto a car in production if its going to end up in euro v. america. So with this logic I dont see why we are not offerered all the things euros are-but we are not so there must be a reason-which is always cost in a company so I can see that assuming there IS a cost to offering these to americans (I admit I still do not see how it is a cost)-I can see how it is justifiably because quite frankly I cant see americans spending the money to get a tigther less comfy e60.

I mean, again MOST-not all e 60 drivers never see the likes of over 100mph or do anything more than corner harder than a typical street light turn-and for that the sport is more than enough.

Usually if someone wants to race/track they will want the power of an M car to compete-

The only cool thing I would spend mony on an M-sport package is for the cool wheels I love the bigger M wheels But correct me if I am wrong-the m-sport doesnt come with the fenders and grilles or does it? if it does than I dont see why that would not be an option

Basically I agree-it should be, I would buy one for hte exterior looks only but does not make sense why they are not options. Go figure
Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='432097' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:28 PM
...the m-sport doesnt come with the fenders and grilles or does it?
It does.

Plus some in-cabin ///M goodies eg steering wheel...

ABC
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Members

I guess I can see the points, but ultimately it is about money. At the moment BMW is selling more luxury vehicles than anyone. They are making the product that appeals to most of their buying base and brining in new ones all the time. It was a good choice for them. If you want something more stiff and sport tuned go get a 911 which is what I did. Surprisingly at this point the price difference is damn near negligible between a 911 C2, loaded out 550 or X5 sport. Maybe wait for the M3 that is going to be a league above the current 911 3.6 engine, though still a different type car. Anyway, the point is they are making cars that will serve the most needs or most clients. There will always be somethign lacking, and you have to find what meets the most of your needs. Maybe that is BMW, maybe you need something else.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver bullet' post='432151' date='Jun 5 2007, 10:58 AM
I guess I can see the points, but ultimately it is about money. At the moment BMW is selling more luxury vehicles than anyone. They are making the product that appeals to most of their buying base and brining in new ones all the time. It was a good choice for them. If you want something more stiff and sport tuned go get a 911 which is what I did. Surprisingly at this point the price difference is damn near negligible between a 911 C2, loaded out 550 or X5 sport. Maybe wait for the M3 that is going to be a league above the current 911 3.6 engine, though still a different type car. Anyway, the point is they are making cars that will serve the most needs or most clients. There will always be somethign lacking, and you have to find what meets the most of your needs. Maybe that is BMW, maybe you need something else.
But that leaves me thinking what cost is there and would this not also apply in europe or is the competition there so much more stiff for luxury producers that all these other options have to be available to lure in buyers? I cant see an M sport package luring in a buyer over there and I cant see it costing them more to offer it there-so what gives? Still not putting 2 and 2 together if that makes sense.

I agree but am still looking for what this hidden cost is in offering an additional m sport package-everything is computer based-you input an order to germany and they build you a car-like what freakin cost is there?

I defientky see not having them on show-room floors and kept in stock.