E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Lug nuts frozen

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550I M Sport Suspension
Default Lug nuts frozen

Any suggestions? Will not budge. Tried breaker bar but afraid to use too much force in fear of shearing nut. Tried pb blaster. Still nothing. Im well aware of wheel binding to hub but never had problem with lugs like this. Im assuming PO had tire shop install wheel and they over did it. Need to figure something out as tire has slow leak. Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

get a good fitting impact socket on it, whack the head of the socket down with atleast a 4lb hammer, give it a few right good belts, dont hit your wheels . have them soacking in penetrant while doing this. the shock should hopefully free up enough crud to start them undooing. if you snap the head off, and it can happen, I hope you have a good quality drill and good quality drill bits, and lots of patience
Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by evolotion
get a good fitting impact socket on it, whack the head of the socket down with atleast a 4lb hammer, give it a few right good belts, dont hit your wheels . have them soacking in penetrant while doing this. the shock should hopefully free up enough crud to start them undooing. if you snap the head off, and it can happen, I hope you have a good quality drill and good quality drill bits, and lots of patience

+1 on how to get it undone. It is the only way. Most of the time soaking in penetration oil and a good wack is enough to get it loose if not the only way is snapping it off. Are you trying to do it with an impact tool or manually. An impact wrench has saved me many times when ive had bolts freeze.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550I M Sport Suspension

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
+1 on how to get it undone. It is the only way. Most of the time soaking in penetration oil and a good wack is enough to get it loose if not the only way is snapping it off. Are you trying to do it with an impact tool or manually. An impact wrench has saved me many times when ive had bolts freeze.
Dont have an impact. All by hand right now. Been raining here all day so havent had a chance to try what u guys suggest.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

I really dislike air impact wrenches. I insist that the tire people use a torque wrench. On my car, the torque is about 85 LBS
I would go to a tire store and have them loosen, oil and re-tighten with the torque wrench.
What if you were in the Sierra mountains at 2 AM and could not get them loose. Then what??
If you use the lug wrench in the trunk to tighten lugs, it will be about 80 LBS GOOD LUCK
Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cricketts
I really dislike air impact wrenches. I insist that the tire people use a torque wrench. On my car, the torque is about 85 LBS
I would go to a tire store and have them loosen, oil and re-tighten with the torque wrench.
What if you were in the Sierra mountains at 2 AM and could not get them loose. Then what??
If you use the lug wrench in the trunk to tighten lugs, it will be about 80 LBS GOOD LUCK

I think the OP is trying to get the nut off not put it on which an impact would do wonders in the position he is in. If he takes it to the tire shop they will use an impact to take it off. I do not have air tools but I always keep an electric impact around for those bolts/nut that just wont break.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Could be a good reason (or excuse) to get a compressor and impact driver.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

I know im hoping my wife will get me a compressor for Christmas. Ive hinted to her all year.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:51 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I got one years ago with the excuse to winterize the sprinkler system. The sprinkler company had raised the winterization rates, so I got a 220V large CFM compressor. Payback on winterization was a few years, but that was long ago. Nice having that in the garage. Piped the air into the basement workshop also.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by HaleyRob
Any suggestions? Will not budge. Tried breaker bar but afraid to use too much force in fear of shearing nut. Tried pb blaster. Still nothing. Im well aware of wheel binding to hub but never had problem with lugs like this. Im assuming PO had tire shop install wheel and they over did it. Need to figure something out as tire has slow leak. Thanks
I highly doubt you would break them. I've personally bounced on an 18" breaker bar to get mine off.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts frozen